• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2008 - Discussion and Prediction League

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously I'm hoping for a Wellington win against the Bay, but I'm also hoping the Bay push us very close. Hawke's Bay made last season as interesting as it was by beating us and Waikato (twice). I hope they prove it wasn't a flash-in-the-pan.

LAST CALL FOR PEOPLE TO SIGN UP TO SUPERBRU!

Pool code: barndata

Perm

Sorry Heath, cbf.

Going to the Southland-Otago game on Saturday afternoon with a friend from Balclutha and the hot chick in my course. Should go off.

Perm

At times like this, I often wonder, "What would Smiff say?"

Probably something like Deadset, worst person ever.

On this occasion, he'd be right :p
Look, I'll still pop in from time to time with critical anaylsis, I just don't have the time or patience for tipping anymore :p

HeathDavisSpeed

Look, I'll still pop in from time to time with critical anaylsis, I just don't have the time or patience for tipping anymore :p
Time??? Patience??? You're a student for crying out loud!!

I haven't even seen your analysis of Southland's prospects for the year ahead! What's going on Perm?? :p

Perm

Time??? Patience??? You're a student for crying out loud!!

I haven't even seen your analysis of Southland's prospects for the year ahead! What's going on Perm?? :p
They'll get 5th, would've been semi-finalists if not for injuries to Wilson, Cowan and Mackintosh.

Expect Stewart/te Whare and Kawau to do the business in the backs. Bit harder to say in the forwards, but Tim Boys is always a good bet for a top season. Watch Scott Cowan at halfback too, some say he's more naturally gifted than Jimmy.

HeathDavisSpeed

Wilson and Mackintosh are injured? They're two pretty big blows. Who's taking the captaincy over from Dermody this year?

Don't think I've seen the other Cowan play. It'll be good news if he's as good a player as Jimmy. Hopefully he's less of a tit.

Perm

Wilson and Mackintosh are injured? They're two pretty big blows. Who's taking the captaincy over from Dermody this year?

Don't think I've seen the other Cowan play. It'll be good news if he's as good a player as Jimmy. Hopefully he's less of a tit.
Mackintosh has been announced as captain, but due to his injury he won't play in the first few games. Jason Kawau is the strongest contender for the skippers job at the moment, filling in for Whopper anyway.

I saw him for the first time last week, against North Harbour. Dane Shelford was terrible and was replaced at half-time by Scott Cowan, he had the backs operating much more smoothly. He's had big wraps upon him for a couple of seasons now, or so the talk around town is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tipped BOP so am quietly chuffed with that. SmytheNZ (volty?) the only other tipster to get on them. & Only Somers backed Northland, I see. Kudos.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tipped BOP so am quietly chuffed with that. SmytheNZ (volty?) the only other tipster to get on them. & Only Somers backed Northland, I see. Kudos.
Yeah, that's me. I ummed and ahhed over Northland v Waikato as the Northland squad was useful enough, but couldn't bring myself to back them.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I did the same over the Tasman-BOP game. Went the wrong way in the end.

Would never have gone for Northland. Good on them though. There'll be a celebratory atmosphere no doubt when I head up to Ruakaka on Saturday...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched both games this evening, given the aweful conditions especially in Blenheim they were both reasonably entertaining.

Tasman vs BOP could've gone either way, I think Tasman shot themselves in the foot with their tactics at times during the second half though, with Nutbrown and Delaney running the show in the final 20 minutes. As I mentioned this afternoon though, decent effort for the Bay of Plenty to even get to the game though; transferring flights, buses breaking down, roads closed, etc.

Great defensive effort from Northland to beat Waikato for the first time in nine years apparently. Had a feeling they'd be victorious though with such a young Waikato side and a much more battle hardened Northland one. Not sure if anyone else watched the game but there was controversy over a try that wasn't given in the final 10 minutes to Sosene Anesi that would've made the last portions of the game extremely interesting. Personally would've given it, enough downward pressure for me. Lauaki was dominant in his 30 minute spell off the bench, scored a try and went within an inch of another along with some storming runs.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping for something special from Harbour here, down 20-10 with only 10 mins left. :(

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Typical Harbour performance, having a side that on paper had more flair and attacking ability than their opponents but doing stupid things at crucial times. No disrespect meant, but if they can't beat the likes of Taranaki then how do they expect to make the quarter finals? One hopes that a repeat of last year where they failed to make the top eight is not on the cards again but if they continue taking penalties with nine minutes to go with two scores of MORE than three points required to win....

Credit to the Naki though, a clinical display to grab a ten point half time lead, and had Perez's second half try been given (another very debatable call from the TMO, though I agreed with the decision), Taranaki could've been almost 20 points ahead. I have a feeling they could get handed some reasonably heavy defeats by the big guns, though their defence was excellent tonight and they scored some very good tries.

As for the other match, I wasn't surprised to see Hawkes Bay run out of gas against Wellington. Without seeing Auckland and Canterbury play, I reckon Wellington are a definite chance of taking out the title this year. Was hoping the Lions didn't score that final try though from an aweful attempted clearance from the Magpies as that robbed me of half a point in the tipping competition. It'll be interesting to see how Hawkes Bay respond, they have Northland at home next week and I doubt the visitors will be pushovers.