• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Anti-Rugby Rubbish Club

Natman20

International Debutant
New Zealand:

Every day the news is aired. Every day there has to be a story about the all blacks in the sports section.

The sport 'audience' in New Zealand is expected to be obsessed with rugby. I for one am sick of seeing "Richie McCaw visited this primary school to sign autographs" stories at the top of the sports news. Often they put these on when there are more important sporting events like tennis, international cricket and other more important events. The medias obsession with the all blacks annoys me because they make stories about nothing into something just because they think any trash about the all blacks will get the ratings.

Anybody else sick of this? No rugby, no story!

:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand:

Every day the news is aired. Every day there has to be a story about the all blacks in the sports section.

The sport 'audience' in New Zealand is expected to be obsessed with rugby. I for one am sick of seeing "Richie McCaw visited this primary school to sign autographs" stories at the top of the sports news.
Name me a date when this last happened. Go on. The only reason they show ABs at a primary school is usually for background footage for a story with the actual questions focusing on the weekend's game. The footage is part of an ulterior motive - ie. McCaw's recovery from injury. As the All Blacks captain and arguably the best player in the world, that's hardly a surprise and is certainly newsworthy.

Rugby union is the major sport in NZ - get used to it.

And again, your claim there has to be a story in the All Blacks in the sports section every day is complete rubbish and an obvious case of hyperbole. If there's All Black stories, say, this week, that's hardly a surprise - we're in the middle of probably the closest Tri Nations in years, while the Bledisloe Cup could go back to Australia for the first time in six years if we lose a couple of these upcoming games against Australia - which is a very real possibility.

And ripper, it appears you've bought into a silly myth.

ripper868

International Coach
Name me a date when this last happened. Go on. The only reason they show ABs at a primary school is usually for background footage for a story with the actual questions focusing on the weekend's game. The footage is part of an ulterior motive - ie. McCaw's recovery from injury. As the All Blacks captain and arguably the best player in the world, that's hardly a surprise and is certainly newsworthy.

Rugby union is the major sport in NZ - get used to it.

And again, your claim there has to be a story in the All Blacks in the sports section every day is complete rubbish and an obvious case of hyperbole. If there's All Black stories, say, this week, that's hardly a surprise - we're in the middle of probably the closest Tri Nations in years, while the Bledisloe Cup could go back to Australia for the first time in six years if we lose a couple of these upcoming games against Australia - which is a very real possibility.

And ripper, it appears you've bought into a silly myth.

indeed. :happy:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
"I don't think I am being rude in saying that without rugby, there wouldn't be much going for New Zealand..." - David Campese On a Wing and a Prayer p. 86

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, definitely wasn't worth taking Francis off ignore for that.

Back onto the list he goes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
"I don't think I am being rude in saying that without rugby, there wouldn't be much going for New Zealand..." - David Campese On a Wing and a Prayer p. 86
I know it's a wind up, but Campese is such an idiot it's not funny. Just putting it out there.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Nah it seriously wasn't a wind up. I took that quote from a chapter in his book where Campo discusses why the All Blacks are such a special side. He says a billion and one complimentary things about them, and then there's that quote. He was quite complimentary to Kiwi's.

And Campo was a bit special... I think. Saw things that just weren't on... very unique individual.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion... maketh da world go 'round.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Reads as an insult, though. That if you took rugby away from NZ that we'd have nothing else.

Flem274*

123/5
If you took rugby away from NZ there'd be civil war.

I sorta agree with Natman to an extent. The over-saturation of the All Blacks can get tiresome, and the pathetic whining and national mourning over the World Cup and the treatment of a grumpy old man as a heretic really got on my nerves. The whole point of losing is to learn from it, not spend 6 months being emos. We spent our emo time and didn't seem to learn much either.

I accept rugby is the number one sport here, fair enoug, something has to be. However some of the side effects, which are not the fault of the game itself, such as the culture of boofheadism over intelligence, rugby is God, all other sports are inferior to our national heroes the All Blacks etc is annoying. Also, I dislike it when people tell me I'm a traitor and not a true NZer, and am also a wussy homosexual when I say I don't like Rugby. I realise these people are in a minority of dip****s, but it gets tiresome.

I support Taranaki due to regional patriotism, but other than that I'm not too fussed about the sport.

NPC>Super 14 btw.

My 2 cents, many kiwis will disagree, and thats fine, its only an opinion after all.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You're not a wussy homosexual because you don't like rugby, Flem. You're a wussy homosexual because you're a showjumper. :D

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Reads as an insult, though. That if you took rugby away from NZ that we'd have nothing else.
I wouldn't take it personally. Here's a quote from Mark Ella:

"In a small country with a depressed economy like New Zealand's, they cling to things like having the world's No 1 rugby team." - Mark Ella 'Path to Victory' p 63

Are you getting into a Bledisloe mood NZTailender?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McCaw is a cheat :ph34r:
I agree, and he's a damned good one. It's not his fault for being good at what he does, but if the referee isn't going to penalise him then he'll keep doing it, and I applaud that. Hate when ****s get fired up if you call him a cheat, bring out fists a fair bit.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I support Taranaki due to regional patriotism, but other than that I'm not too fussed about the sport.

NPC>Super 14 btw.

My 2 cents, many kiwis will disagree, and thats fine, its only an opinion after all.
Totally agree with the NPC call, provincial is so gun. Would way rather watch Southland than the Highlanders, any day of the week. Esp. now I've got a media pass :cool:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
New Zealand:

The sport 'audience' in New Zealand is expected to be obsessed with rugby. I for one am sick of seeing "Richie McCaw visited this primary school to sign autographs" stories at the top of the sports news.
What do you expect?

The All Black PR people are going on the charm offensive to win back faith in the side.

Besides, is there any NZ cricket news at the moment?

It's rugby season.