• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NFL 08-09 Season Thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well the new season is almost upon us so I thought to start a new thread. So much stuff to talk about. Let’s start with the Brett Favre situation. I would hate to be in management’s shoes there. It makes sense that the Packers want to look to the future and start Rodgers. But Favre throws a big wrench in their plans by “un-retiring”. He says he was pressured into retiring. I don’t know about that. From the interview he gave to Fox News (and why that medium btw?), he says he wanted to make up his mind by the start of training camp. That’s simply too late IMO. A team should be settled in the QB situation before the season starts. Favre holding back his decision until that late is unfair to the whole team. I know he’s earned a little slack because of what he’s accomplished, but I still think he’s being unfair here. Having said all that, the Packers should now release him to do what he wants. There’s no point in further melodrama. Just release him, accept the inevitable adverse fan reaction, and then move on towards the future.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy will be very happy to see the mess in Packer Land. This time around, I bet his Vikings are going to whip the GB Packers 2-0.

Dont feel like supporting the cheap Steelers, I will jump on some bandwagon during the season.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Dont feel like supporting the cheap Steelers, I will jump on some bandwagon during the season.
Plenty of room in the 'Boys' bandwagon tbh. Heck, I'll kick out Jessica to make room for others if need be! :)

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Well the new season is almost upon us so I thought to start a new thread. So much stuff to talk about. Let’s start with the Brett Favre situation. I would hate to be in management’s shoes there. It makes sense that the Packers want to look to the future and start Rodgers. But Favre throws a big wrench in their plans by “un-retiring”. He says he was pressured into retiring. I don’t know about that. From the interview he gave to Fox News (and why that medium btw?), he says he wanted to make up his mind by the start of training camp. That’s simply too late IMO. A team should be settled in the QB situation before the season starts. Favre holding back his decision until that late is unfair to the whole team. I know he’s earned a little slack because of what he’s accomplished, but I still think he’s being unfair here. Having said all that, the Packers should now release him to do what he wants. There’s no point in further melodrama. Just release him, accept the inevitable adverse fan reaction, and then move on towards the future.
Here here, as much as it would pain me to see him play for another team and even though I would have Favre over Rodgers any day of the week, it is a fair enough decision to move forward with Rodgers giving the circumstances. Also like you said they should cut the **** and release him if they don't want him back.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Dont think my beloved Giants can do the same as last year reckon they'll struggle to get a wildcard spot. Also i reckon the Browns will go far this year watch out for them.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven't been excited about an Eagles season since T.O left us. Just haven't had that same attitude that we did back then.

All rests on whether Donovan can turn back the clock. Sitting on the fence for that one.

99*

International Debutant
Farve will either be traded or retire (for good), if GB want to keep him then they want him as back-up, which Brett will not want, so they either have to trade him, or do nothing. I think they'll trade him to ATL or BAL, both teams which need an olded QB to teach Matt Ryan (or Joe Flacco (sp?)) a few things. In the end though, if Farve wants to play then good on him, I just hope he knows what he's doing.

Now, to other things, my San Diego Chargers will finally win a Superbowl this year, we haven't lost too much (Turner to ATL was our biggest loss) and we're most likely the only team from the AFC that will be as consistant as last year. (IND look to be on the decline, and NE won't be anywhere as good as last year.)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Now, to other things, my San Diego Chargers will finally win a Superbowl this year, we haven't lost too much (Turner to ATL was our biggest loss) and we're most likely the only team from the AFC that will be as consistant as last year. (IND look to be on the decline, and NE won't be anywhere as good as last year.)
They might not have an undefeated season, but as long as they have that Brady to Moss combo, they’re still the favorites for me.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anyone watch the HBO show Hard Knocks? I think it’s the best NFL related show out there. I’ve watched it every year it’s been on. I’m specially looking forward to this year as the Dallas Cowboys are covered. With so many characters to cover (TO, Packman, Tank, Tony and Jessica), it should be entertaining at the very least.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Packers just need to release Farve.

Pakers need to say thanks for all the years of service and let him move on, even if to a NFC rival.

As for Farve being pressured, I think its a fair conclusion. Not just by the Packers but the media circus that surrounded the issue.

Shake hands and say "thanks and good luck" IMO

reptillia

School Boy/Girl Captain
Demeco 4 MVP
Very ambitious texans fan are we??? :laugh:

If i was to pick a player i'd say demarcus ware tbh, he's gotten more and more sacks each year and with the talent he has around him this year I could see him having a very big year.

reptillia

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think they'll trade him to ATL or BAL, both teams which need an olded QB to teach Matt Ryan (or Joe Flacco (sp?)) a few things.
not a hope in hell will favre go back to atlanta, he will only go to a team that has the potential to reach the superbowl where a good solid quarterback is the only missing piece in the puzzle to them achieving success i.e. minnesota or baltimore. But the packers will not trade him to the vikings so baltimore or possibly tampa look like the only possible destination (a long shot at the jets as well maybe, with their much improved offensive line they should do better this season). anyway in the end any trade has to be approved by favre like if the falcons make an offer to the packers that they accept, favre has the power to veto that trade.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with Goughy on this. Packers need to just let it go. Already got a real messy situation on their hands and it'll only get messier.