Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* NFL 08-09 Season Thread

*Official* NFL 08-09 Season Thread

Well the new season is almost upon us so I thought to start a new thread. So much stuff to talk about. Let’s start with the Brett Favre situation. I would hate to be in management’s shoes there. It makes sense that the Packers want to look to the future and start Rodgers. But Favre throws a big wrench in their plans by “un-retiring”. He says he was pressured into retiring. I don’t know about that. From the interview he gave to Fox News (and why that medium btw?), he says he wanted to make up his mind by the start of training camp. That’s simply too late IMO. A team should be settled in the QB situation before the season starts. Favre holding back his decision until that late is unfair to the whole team. I know he’s earned a little slack because of what he’s accomplished, but I still think he’s being unfair here. Having said all that, the Packers should now release him to do what he wants. There’s no point in further melodrama. Just release him, accept the inevitable adverse fan reaction, and then move on towards the future.
    Last edited by Fusion; 15-07-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Swervy will be very happy to see the mess in Packer Land. This time around, I bet his Vikings are going to whip the GB Packers 2-0.

Dont feel like supporting the cheap Steelers, I will jump on some bandwagon during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Dont feel like supporting the cheap Steelers, I will jump on some bandwagon during the season.
    Plenty of room in the 'Boys' bandwagon tbh. Heck, I'll kick out Jessica to make room for others if need be!

Breakout Champion!
    Demeco 4 MVP

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Well the new season is almost upon us so I thought to start a new thread. So much stuff to talk about. Letís start with the Brett Favre situation. I would hate to be in managementís shoes there. It makes sense that the Packers want to look to the future and start Rodgers. But Favre throws a big wrench in their plans by ďun-retiringĒ. He says he was pressured into retiring. I donít know about that. From the interview he gave to Fox News (and why that medium btw?), he says he wanted to make up his mind by the start of training camp. Thatís simply too late IMO. A team should be settled in the QB situation before the season starts. Favre holding back his decision until that late is unfair to the whole team. I know heís earned a little slack because of what heís accomplished, but I still think heís being unfair here. Having said all that, the Packers should now release him to do what he wants. Thereís no point in further melodrama. Just release him, accept the inevitable adverse fan reaction, and then move on towards the future.
    Here here, as much as it would pain me to see him play for another team and even though I would have Favre over Rodgers any day of the week, it is a fair enough decision to move forward with Rodgers giving the circumstances. Also like you said they should cut the **** and release him if they don't want him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I'm still bitter about BBC2 showing the signing of the Good Friday Agreement instead of the Simpsons.
    Manager XpertEleven side: BEST Indies FC: Won Champions Cup 1 season 5
    Premiership Last Man Standing: headhunter 26/10-26/11/07 Agent TBY & headhunter (tied) 08/08-25/08/08
    CW Blue - We are the Blues, we never lose.

International Vice-Captain pinchy81's Avatar
    Dont think my beloved Giants can do the same as last year reckon they'll struggle to get a wildcard spot. Also i reckon the Browns will go far this year watch out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Pinchy81- McPinch iz a gun4lyf.
    "Straight-Edge means I'm better than you!"

Haven't been excited about an Eagles season since T.O left us. Just haven't had that same attitude that we did back then.

All rests on whether Donovan can turn back the clock. Sitting on the fence for that one.

99*
    Farve will either be traded or retire (for good), if GB want to keep him then they want him as back-up, which Brett will not want, so they either have to trade him, or do nothing. I think they'll trade him to ATL or BAL, both teams which need an olded QB to teach Matt Ryan (or Joe Flacco (sp?)) a few things. In the end though, if Farve wants to play then good on him, I just hope he knows what he's doing.

Now, to other things, my San Diego Chargers will finally win a Superbowl this year, we haven't lost too much (Turner to ATL was our biggest loss) and we're most likely the only team from the AFC that will be as consistant as last year. (IND look to be on the decline, and NE won't be anywhere as good as last year.)

Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Now, to other things, my San Diego Chargers will finally win a Superbowl this year, we haven't lost too much (Turner to ATL was our biggest loss) and we're most likely the only team from the AFC that will be as consistant as last year. (IND look to be on the decline, and NE won't be anywhere as good as last year.)
    They might not have an undefeated season, but as long as they have that Brady to Moss combo, theyíre still the favorites for me.

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Pats still stand out favourites but I would also have the Chargers 2nd fav.

Anyone watch the HBO show Hard Knocks? I think itís the best NFL related show out there. Iíve watched it every year itís been on. Iím specially looking forward to this year as the Dallas Cowboys are covered. With so many characters to cover (TO, Packman, Tank, Tony and Jessica), it should be entertaining at the very least.

@Fusion - What Position Jessica plays ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    @Fusion - What Position Jessica plays ?
    I think she makes a great Tight End. Sanz, I did say “characters”, not players in my previous post.

Packers just need to release Farve.

Pakers need to say thanks for all the years of service and let him move on, even if to a NFC rival.

As for Farve being pressured, I think its a fair conclusion. Not just by the Packers but the media circus that surrounded the issue.

Shake hands and say "thanks and good luck" IMO
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

School Boy/Girl Captain reptillia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Demeco 4 MVP
    Very ambitious texans fan are we???

If i was to pick a player i'd say demarcus ware tbh, he's gotten more and more sacks each year and with the talent he has around him this year I could see him having a very big year.
    Quotes from The US Office:

Dwight Schrute: In the wild, there is no health care. In the wild, health care is, "Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me and I'm dead." Well, I'm not dead. I'm the lion, you're dead.

Michael Scott: [trying to motivate an employee for the basketball game] You'll be like the dwarf that follows the wizard to the end of the earth in... uh... Lord of the Rings!
    Dwight Schrute: Gimli.
    Michael Scott: ...NERD. That's why you're not on the team.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information