• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NFL 08-09 Season Thread

99*

International Debutant
So if you have a division where NO team is even over .500, it is still ok to reward that division winner with a playoff spot? OTOH, a team can theoretically be in the toughest division in football (just a hypothetical, not saying AFC East was) and the second place team in that division misses out? Yeah, I’ll just go and puke on that type of a “fair” system. Obviously the Pats knew what the rules were when the season started, that doesn’t mean the rule is fair or can’t be changed.

P.S: I can’t believe I’m actually taking up for the ****ing Patriots!!
Of course it is, the basic idea is if you win your division then you are good enough to go into the playoffs. It's not the Chargers fault that the Chiefs and Raiders are two of the worst teams in the NFL, they played to win their division and did it. The Pats did not. And the Pats got to play the AFC West and NFC West, the two worst divisions in football so their should have been 8 wins right there.

Is if fair? Probably not, but it's the best method there is since the teams are split by their division. If it was simply wins that decided playoff berths it would need the removal of the division system AND each team would have to have the exact same strength of schedule for it to determine a 'fair' playoff. Or else the Chargers could say the Pats do not deserve a playoff because they had to play the AFC West and NFC West while the Chargers had to play the AFC East and NFC South.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it is, the basic idea is if you win your division then you are good enough to go into the playoffs. It's not the Chargers fault that the Chiefs and Raiders are two of the worst teams in the NFL, they played to win their division and did it. The Pats did not. And the Pats got to play the AFC West and NFC West, the two worst divisions in football so their should have been 8 wins right there.

Is if fair? Probably not, but it's the best method there is since the teams are split by their division. If it was simply wins that decided playoff berths it would need the removal of the division system AND each team would have to have the exact same strength of schedule for it to determine a 'fair' playoff. Or else the Chargers could say the Pats do not deserve a playoff because they had to play the AFC West and NFC West while the Chargers had to play the AFC East and NFC South.
Yeah, that sums up for me. This is the way it has been and it probably is more interesting. Just because a team was 11-5 doesn't mean they deserved to go to playoffs. Pats wins came against Bills (2), Jets, Dolphins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders, cardinals, Broncos, Rams and 49ers. Out of those only team that made playoff was Dolphins which split its games vs. them and Cardinals which are again the worst team in playoff and had already qualified for the playoffs hence hardly any motivation to win. That said, Chargers didn't have a tough schedule either, they won games against Jets, Raiders(2) , Pats, Chiefs(2), Broncos and Bucs. Needless to say last two were very sluggish in the end finished last with 0-3 and 0-4 in last few games. Both teams lost their tough matchups, Chargers won when it mattered, Pats didn't.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bring on the Giants next week :D

Eagles D is looking strong when it needs to be, just need to convert a couple more of those 3 pointers into TD's or we're toast against Eli.

99*

International Debutant
Delhomme should stay away from any firearms, bridges, knives or rope for the next few weeks.

duffer

Incredible win. Worth waking up that early to watch. Oh man, beginning to believe now.

duffer

I love how on an Eagles board they're all clambouring to put this on Plaxico. He shot them all in the thigh apparently. :happy:

99*

International Debutant
Gutted by the Chargers loss, could have gone the other way so easily, two silly Special Teams plays, and a tipped pass just being caught. :@

Oh well, hopefully this means the end of Norvella.

PS- If Sproles is not resigned, I will lose all faith in AJ and Dean for the future.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
nly

Gutted by the Chargers loss, could have gone the other way so easily, two silly Special Teams plays, and a tipped pass just being caught. :@ .
Must have been watching a different game then.It was a one sided game and scoreboard flatters SD's performance after their first score. SD's second score (field Goal) was a gift from Coach Tomlin and last two scores were useless, Game was already won by then. The real score is more like PIT - 38, SD - 7

SD didn't get to see the ball at in the 3rd Qtr. Pittsburgh It was so one sided that in the fourth qtr Pittsburgh took its main QB and receivers out of the game.

99*

International Debutant
Must have been watching a different game then.It was a one sided game and scoreboard flatters SD's performance after their first score. SD's second score (field Goal) was a gift from Coach Tomlin and last two scores were useless, Game was already won by then. The real score is more like PIT - 38, SD - 7

SD didn't get to see the ball at in the 3rd Qtr. Pittsburgh It was so one sided that in the fourth qtr Pittsburgh took its main QB and receivers out of the game.
8-)

I'll admit Pitt' outplayed SD, they did to us what we did to Indy. But Pitt got damn lucky, a punt return TD, freak punt giving you back the ball and a tipped pass being caught (which I might add was a very close call). The game was over when Parker ran in that last TD, 35-17 with four to go, never before that.

And Pitt only replaced BB in the 4th after that above mentioned TD, after SD punt with three remaining. Hardly dominating the entire quarter.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
But Pitt got damn lucky, a punt return TD, freak punt giving you back the ball and a tipped pass being caught (which I might add was a very close call). The game was over when Parker ran in that last TD, 35-17 with four to go, never before that.
If Punt return was a lucky TD then the first TD catch by Jackson was luckier, the second score (3 pt) was lucky too because Tomlin decided to go for 4th down. If Tipped pass is lucky then every play in NFL is lucky. I dont care if it was a close call as long as it remained a right call.

You can argue as much as you want about the game being close, but the moment SD defence allowed PIT to score a TD in a minute (before the half) it was kind of obvious that they couldn't stop Pittsburgh from scoring, and Pittsburgh came back after the half, not only they scored the TD but ate up 8 minutes of clock and the game was almost over. If any doubts were left, the interception sealed it. SD was invisible for two full quarters despite the crucial mistake by Tomlin in the 2nd qtr.

1st Qtr, Rivers threw for 100+ Yards (74 in the opening drive), 160 yards in 4th Qtr, Remaining two qtrs, 40 yards with almost no running game. SD Time of possession in 1st Qtr = Time of possession in remaining 3 Qtrs, If you call that close then whatever.

And Pitt only replaced BB in the 4th after that above mentioned TD, after SD punt with three remaining. Hardly dominating the entire quarter.
I know when they did so, the fact that they did shows that the game was not close at all as you suggested and Steelers were NOT lucky to win the game. They dominated the game defensively except for the first 3 minutes and dominated offensively for almost last 3 qtrs.

duffer

Want McNabb to win one so all the Philly "fans" who gave him **** for a whole decade can shut the hell up and appreciate how good he is. Although it'd ensure Reid has a job for life it'd be worth it.