• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Tennis Players

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
As mentioned in the Sanz interest gauge thread, I want to do this battle in sets. Now, the way I thought of was this:

Each set lasts 8 hours or first to 4 votes
Votes in successive sets are not allowed
First battles are first to two sets, first to three from the quarter-final onwards.

Think we might get 10-12 people voting, so hopefully sets won't go completely without votes.

Now, unfortunately I'm going to Bern tomorrow, so I can't post matches until about Sunday afternoon. But would this be a decent format considering it's tennis we're debating?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As I mentioned in the other thread, this format looks very unique and very interesting to me and very apt for a Tennis Battle Thread. Hopefully others will like too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can each player have 3 challenges, and a fourth if it goes to a tie breaker?

Sounds good.

biased indian

International Coach
Nice some thing new is good.....but some one can win with less vote though
For E g : 0-4,4-3,4-3 (Total 8-10 ) But the predictability wont be there so its good i think

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Five votes to one, the new battle system wins comprehensively.

Anyway, we start with a preliminary round to get to an even number. 16 players have been seeded, those are the ones with 7 or more grand slams. Note that the set will end at 4 votes or at 8 hours regardless of whether I say so or not; I'm sure you're clever enough to count it up and know when the set is over, if you're unsure of whether you're allowed to vote or not just do it. The format allows people to vote multiple times in the same battle, so if you're uncertain you can split your vote when the turn comes again.

Preliminary Round, Match One

Don Budge

World No. 1 1937-40 and 1942
Won the Grand Slam in 1938, the first player to do so
Davis Cup 1937, 1938
Won 37 matches at grand slam tournaments in a row before turning professional
Won a tour series against the reigning World No. 1, Ellsworth Vines, immediately after becoming pro
AP Male Athlete of the Year 1937, 1938

Novak Đoković

Australian Open title 2008
US Open final 2007
Five successive semi-finals at grand slams until Wimbledon 2008
Part of the Serbian team that qualified for the Davis Cup World Group for the first time since dissolution of the Yugoslavian state

First set ends at 02:54 UTC

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well it has to be Don Budge, despite Novak being one of my favourite players to watch whilst obviously never watching Budge play.

Its far far too early in his career to really compare the two.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll go Budge to start the second then. Whatever potential Djokovic has he isn't even the best tennis player currently.