• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Tennis Players

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chang and Safin.

Two great guys. One appeared on Sesame Street, the other used to have a blonde brigade of women that sat in his box and watched his matches.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Stich and Johansson.

I like my athletes big and powerful. I kind of admire Chang but I dont really like him and I didnt like Changs underarm serve to Lendl much either. Johansson isnt big but he is a giant compared to Chang.

Hakon- On the vote can we include details Wiki seems to have for each player in addition to the stuff already included? Id suggest Career singles record and career titles.

eg in this round it would have the additional info of

Chang
Career record: 662 - 312 (68%)
Career titles: 34
Johansson
Career record: 352 - 288
Career titles: 9

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Stich and Johansson.

I like my athletes big and powerful. I kind of admire Chang but I dont really like him and I didnt like Changs underarm serve to Lendl much either. Johansson isnt big but he is a giant compared to Chang.

Hakon- On the vote can we include details Wiki seems to have for each player in addition to the stuff already included? Id suggest Career singles record and career titles.

Chang
Johansson
Yeah, fine by me. Not always available for the elder statesmen though.

Based on that record, though, a vote for Johansson is criminal :p

(Stich:
Career record: 385 - 176 (69 %)
Career titles: 18
Safin:
Career record: 395 - 236 (63 %)
Career titles: 15)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Stich and Johansson.

Chang
Johansson
Lol, agreed with Vines. If you include the career records, Chang squashes 'the giant' Johannson :p

Plus Johannson would never ever get an invite on Sesame Street in the same scene as Big Bird.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
OK, no more votes will be counted (Chang 4-0 5-1, Safin 4-0 4-1). However, next battle needs to wait till I get home, and as I'm going to Luzern for an athletics meet, that'll be for another 8-9 hours.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
yeah, well, 4-0 6-1 and 4-0 5-1. Like it really matters.

First round, battle one

Henri 'Le magicien' Cochet

French Champion 1922, 1926, 1928, 1930, 1932 (doubles three times)
Wimbledon Champion 1927, 1929 (doubles twice)
US Champion 1928
Two Olympic silver medals

Leander Paes

Wimbledon doubles 1999 (w/Mahesh Bhupathi)
French Open doubles 1999 (w/Bhupathi), 2001 (w/Bhupathi)
US Open doubles 2006 (w/Martin Damm)
Singles career record: 99 - 98 (50 %)
Doubles career record: 473 - 245 (66 %)
Career titles: 38 doubles + 1 singles
Doubles World No 1 from June 1999 to March 2000

First round, battle two

Björn Borg

French Open 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981
Wimbledon 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 1980 (final 1981)
4 US Open finals
Career record: 597 - 127 (82 %)
Career titles: 62 ATP + 37 unofficial + 4 doubles
World No 1 for 109 weeks in six stretches between 1977 and 1981

Thomas Muster

French Open 1995
8 Masters Series titles
Career record: 622 - 271 (70 %)
Career titles: 44 singles + 1 doubles
World No. 1 for six weeks in 1996

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only attempted it once. Probably didn't care much of its status as a grand tournament. Tennis in January in Scandinavia is difficult.
I dare say! Althought wasn't it in December in Borg's era? Interesting he only tried the once tho, the Aus Open seems very much 4th in terms of precedence, but it's inconceivable the world no 1 would skip a slam for anything other than injury/health nowadays.