• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Tennis Players

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cash beats Moya 4-2, 4-1
Haas trails Năstase 4-2, 1-4, 1-3

Just a slight rule amendment: everyone can vote in the final set of a match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think I'll personally only vote in one battle per match, regardless of sets.

Can Haas come back? Does he have it in him!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Last set has been running for 8 hours, so tie-breaker vote

Năstase

who wins 2-4, 4-1, 5-4

Preliminary round, battle four

Ellsworth Vines

Wimbledon 1932
US Champion 1931, 1932
Leading professional 1934-38 (world no 1 shared with amateur Fred Perry for most of this time)

Jack Kramer

Wimbledon 1947 (doubles 1946, 1947)
US Champion 1946, 1947 (doubles 4 times)
2 Davis Cups
World No. 1 1947-51 (1948-51 as professional)

Preliminary round, battle five

Yannick Noah

French Open 1983 (the first Frenchman since 1946, also doubles 1984)
Wembley 1986, Rome 1985
World No. 3 in 1986
World doubles No. 1 for 19 weeks

Tony Trabert

US Champion 1953, 1955
French Champion 1954, 1955
Wimbledon 1955
Two French professional titles

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
All the Tommy Haas drama and he's out first round. His video game legacy wasn't enough :(

Kramer and Trabert.

Trabert is the only one I've heard of, but Kramer's record seems pretty damn good.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the Tommy Haas drama and he's out first round. His video game legacy wasn't enough :(

Kramer and Trabert.

Trabert is the only one I've heard of, but Kramer's record seems pretty damn good.
Haven't heard of Yannick Noah? huh

Jack Kramer

&

Tony Trabert

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vines, would of won many more slams if he hadn't turned pro, I'd guess.

Trabert

I remember Yanick, always more famous as a *** symbol then a player, if i remember rightly.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Kramer and Trabert.

I thought this should be mentioned about Yannick Noah:

"Noah played on France's Davis Cup team for eleven years, with an overall win-loss record of 39-22 (26-15 in singles, and in 13-7 doubles). In 1982, he was part of the French team which reached the Davis Cup final, where they were defeated 4–1 by the United States.

Nine years later, in 1991, Noah captained the French team which won the Davis Cup for first time in 59 years, defeating a heavily-favoured US team 3–1 in the final. This feat was repeated in 1996, when France defeated Sweden 3–2 in the final held in Malmö.

In 1997, Noah captained France's Fed Cup team to its first-ever victory in that competition."