• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Tennis Players - anyone Interested ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
nominate:

stan smith
jan kodes
rod laver
ken rosewall
roy emerson
john mcenroe
arthur ashe
bjorn borg
ilie nastase
guillermo vilas
jimmy connors
pat rafter
jim courier
andre agassi
pete sampras
manuel santana
rafael nadal
roger federer
richard krajicek
boris becker
stefan edberg
ivan lendl
michael chang
sergi bruguera
thomas muster
juan carlos ferrero
carlos moya
marat safin
novak djokovic
michael stich

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nominations So Far :-
  1. Andre Agassi
  2. Bjorn Borg
  3. Boris Becker
  4. Carlos Moya
  5. Goran Ivanisevic
  6. Gustavo Kuerten
  7. Ivan Lendl
  8. Jim Courier
  9. Jimmy Connors
  10. John McEnroe
  11. John Newcombe
  12. Marat Safin
  13. Marcelo Rios
  14. Mats Wilander
  15. Michael Chang
  16. Pat Cash
  17. Pat Rafter
  18. Pete Sampras
  19. Rafael Nadal
  20. Rod Laver
  21. Roger Federer
  22. Roy Emerson
  23. Stefan Edberg

Edit - Sorry missed Anil's post, Will include his nominations in the next list.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, second Laver, the Brat.

Nominate Fred Perry, he does a nice shirt as well as being the only good British male player ever.

I would personally keep the women to another battle.......

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I will assume that there isn't much support for including Women's Tennis players in this list. So let's get on with the Men's nominations.

No Need to second. We will run the Nominations for 4 days. After 4 days, I will compile the list and pick top 64 Players (Criteria - Grand Slam Wins, Career Titles, Career ATP Ranking).

If there are disagreements on the selection/non-selection of players, please feel free to point out.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Here's a list of every Grand Slam winner -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_statistics#Men

Go to Most Grand Slam singles titles (all time)

I imagine every Open Era player with 2 or more Grand Slams should be nominated, so:

Pete Sampras (14), Roger Federer (12), Roy Emerson (12), Rod Laver (11), Björn Borg (11), Ken Rosewall (8), Jimmy Connors (8), Ivan Lendl (8), Andre Agassi (8), John Newcombe (7), John McEnroe (7), Mats Wilander (7), Boris Becker (6), Stefan Edberg (6), Rafael Nadal (5), Jim Courier (4), Guillermo Vilas (4), Arthur Ashe (3), Jan Kodes (3), Gustavo Kuerten (3), Stan Smith (2), Ilie Năstase (2), Johan Kriek (2), Lleyton Hewitt (2), Yevgeny Kafelnikov (2), Patrick Rafter (2), Sergi Bruguera (2), and Marat Safin (2).

I'd have to think about the pre-Open era players.

grecian

Just been reading some of the stuff on Wiki about old players. Jack Kramer and his views seem to be massively talked up. He started the ATP tour and was one of the most influential people in tennis for a while, so I suppose this shouldn't surprise. Yet it does remind you a bit of Churchill's quote "history will be kind to me, I intend to write it".

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
also nominate:

yevgeny kafelnikov
mats wilander
goran ivanisevic
lleyton hewitt
andy roddick
marcelo rios
thomas johannson
andrez gomez

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Should do the battle in tennis scoring, with sets and first to three. :ph34r:

Won't have much input on nominations, except that Thomas Johansson really shouldn't be in. Wouldn't reach the last 16 of a battle of the Swedish tennis players ffs.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Should do the battle in tennis scoring, with sets and first to three. :ph34r:

Won't have much input on nominations, except that Thomas Johansson really shouldn't be in. Wouldn't reach the last 16 of a battle of the Swedish tennis players ffs.
yeah but he did win a grand slam and i thought that was the criterion...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nominating Tommy Haas, if hes not in it, im not being involved. Simple.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Can apply some common sense too. If Roddick ever won the US Open we wouldn't let him in.
not really, the criterion needs to be objective...and the guy will get voted off in the 1st round itself anyway...and you were joking about the above, right?

Johnners

Should include both Men, Women & Doubles players imo.

Nominate:

Todd Woodbridge
Mark Woodforde
Jonas Bjorkman

Johnners

Yeah, that's how I understood it.

Mind you, reckon we should Include A-Rod based on his allround emotional awesomeness.

EDIT: Should be noted, need to set some guidelines as to how many can be nominated/seconded, and how many will be in the final battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.