• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 Afl

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if you're watching AFL or tiddlywinks Tharmi
Some would argue there isn't much difference at times, especially when Barry Hall is suspended or injuried.

Why is whenever an AFL fans trys to show the how gun AFL, they just show specky marks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
OMG have a whinge. Swans players aren't the be all and end all. Seriously don't bring that NSW bias **** here.

And we show speccies because it DOESNT HAPPEN IN ANY OTHER SPORT!

We could show Judd getting the ball under a pack, but someone who doesn't understand AFL (aka glory hunter Swans fans) won't realise the greatness of that.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, seriously think you need to watch games that don't involve Sydney, it's clearly the problem here.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Was always an NRL man myself. Watched the occasional game of AFL here and there. Followed the Lions when they were dominant but never thought of it in the same breath as NRL. Signed up to play last year under the great Chris Johnson and really started to appreciate the sport. Started to love it after Franklin's performance in the elimination final last year and honestly prefer it to rugby league now. Don't know the players and history as well though.

Having played all four codes of football I'd rank them like this to play:
1. AFL
2. Rugby Union
3. Rugby League
4. Soccer

And to watch:
1. AFL
2. Rugby League
3. Soccer
4. Rugby Union

Kind of contradicts everything you had to say about biased AFL fans having to take their glasses off because the sport is getting worse.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
OMG have a whinge. Swans players aren't the be all and end all. Seriously don't bring that NSW bias **** here.

And we show speccies because it DOESNT HAPPEN IN ANY OTHER SPORT!

We could show Judd getting the ball under a pack, but someone who doesn't understand AFL (aka glory hunter Swans fans) won't realise the greatness of that.
They won one title in 50 odd years, maybe more. If anyone wants to be a glory hunter they would support the Lions or Bombers back in day.

Speccies happen in other sports, if you actually watched them you would see it. They just don't happen as frequently.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Followed the Lions when they were dominant but never thought of it in the same breath as NRL.
No offence James, but one could argue that why you think AFL is better sport. You watched a pretty brillant side pretty closely and like a lot Brisbance sports fans, jumped on the AFL bangwagon due to brillance of that side.

Just cus the said Lions side was better to watch then some NRL sides, doesn't make the whole sport better.

Last edited:

Johnners

The fact that the NRL is going down the ****er makes AFL a whole lot better, however.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that the NRL is going down the ****er makes AFL a whole lot better, however.
But I thought we were talking about how good each is to watch, not the organisation or adminstration side of games. If so then AFL > Cricket hands down and most sports tbh.

Johnners

NRL is **** to watch, which was my point. You talking of the lack of skill etc. in the AFL, when compared to the NRL is laughable. The fact that the Australia, the strongest league country, had a halves pairing of Cooper Cronk & Greg Bird speaks volumes about the complete lack of skill/class in the NRL. Outside of about 5/6 very special players, there's very little to go to.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They won one title in 50 odd years, maybe more. If anyone wants to be a glory hunter they would support the Lions or Bombers back in day.
They only rock up to games when Sydney are doing well. Hence why the AFL concentrate so much on Sydney being a good market, because you need to manufacture it.

Just like to point out I've never taken a pot shot at rugby, just defending AFL from false criticisms.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
They only rock up to games when Sydney are doing well. Hence why the AFL concentrate so much on Sydney being a good market, because you need to manufacture it.

Just like to point out I've never taken a pot shot at rugby, just defending AFL from false criticisms.
No doubt in general Sydney sports fans of all four codes do that. But doesn't mean all fans of Swans or sports fans in Sydney are like that. Pretty poor generisation really. Just cus the masses might be like that, doesn't mean they are all like that.

Most guys I know that religiously support the Swans, would watch ever match regardless of them winning matches. I actually watched more Swans matches when they were playing a good brand of footy and losing matches, then a piss poor brand of footy and winning most games. Rather watch an entertaining team, then just a side that wins every match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NRL is **** to watch, which was my point. You talking of the lack of skill etc. in the AFL, when compared to the NRL is laughable. The fact that the Australia, the strongest league country, had a halves pairing of Cooper Cronk & Greg Bird speaks volumes about the complete lack of skill/class in the NRL. Outside of about 5/6 very special players, there's very little to go to.
If there was more rep games in AFL, I'm sure you will see similar trends. Outside the top 10 or so players in the AFL there is lack of skill/class. Both codes are going rapidly down the trend of percentage players over match winners. It might look overal worse in league and union, due to high number of decent players in Europe. But overall it about the same, if not worse in AFL.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
No offence James, but one could argue that why you think AFL is better sport. You watched a pretty brillant side pretty closely and like a lot Brisbance sports fans, jumped on the AFL bangwagon due to brillance of that side.

Just cus the said Lions side was better to watch then some NRL sides, doesn't make the whole sport better.
Wtf. I said I followed it a bit then because yeah they were dominant. That's got nothing to do with the fact that I've taken to enjoying the sport so much more this year when compared to other years (including the years of the Lions reign).

Also add in the fact that the time my AFL team were dominant my NRL team also made three grand finals in a row (Sydney Roosters). Your statement has no basis whatsoever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, think he misread your post as in that you started liking AFL when Lions were dominant, when what you meant was even when the Lions were dominant you didn't think AFL was even close to being as good as NRL, whereas now when they're not as good, you have started to appreciate the sport.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No doubt in general Sydney sports fans of all four codes do that. But doesn't mean all fans of Swans or sports fans in Sydney are like that. Pretty poor generisation really. Just cus the masses might be like that, doesn't mean they are all like that.

Most guys I know that religiously support the Swans, would watch ever match regardless of them winning matches. I actually watched more Swans matches when they were playing a good brand of footy and losing matches, then a piss poor brand of footy and winning most games. Rather watch an entertaining team, then just a side that wins every match.
For the record, I wanted the Swans to win the 2006 GF, and Goodes is one of my favourite players, and I am ABSOLUTELY UNSTOPPABLE when I play as Sydney in AFL 2006 on Playstation 2.

But you sound like a typical Sydney supporter, saying the AFL doesn't have as many good players anymore, and then start listing Swans players as awesome. Sydney are one of the most least skilled teams in terms of pure class, they rely on grunt, passion and discipline.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But you sound like a typical Sydney supporter, saying the AFL doesn't have as many good players anymore, and then start listing Swans players as awesome. Sydney are one of the most least skilled teams in terms of pure class, they rely on grunt, passion and discipline.
Yeah did misread what James wrote.

The stuff I said about the Swans players were a bit tougue and cheek. There no doubt they have one of least skilled squads in the AFL. Tactics and discipline basically carry their lack of skills. But the fact they consistently get away with having a poorly skilled side, just shows the issues that AFL has with lack of skilled players coming through. If there wasn't an issue they would have been found out a long time ago, not make two of last three GFs.

Mister Wright

Bit rough on the NRL here. I'm sure if Australia had the ability to compete with the British pound we would have more then enough players to make the competition of a very high standard.

Given AFL is only played at a professional level in one country with what 15 or 16 teams, it's no wonder there are so many gifted players in the competition. I think you'd find it a different story if AFL was played in the U.K. and they had the money to draw Australian players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah did misread what James wrote.

The stuff I said about the Swans players were a bit tougue and cheek. There no doubt they have one of least skilled squads in the AFL. Tactics and discipline basically carry their lack of skills. But the fact they consistently get away with having a poorly skilled side, just shows the issues that AFL has with lack of skilled players coming through. If there wasn't an issue they would have been found out a long time ago, not make two of last three GFs.
Chaminda, who are these 'no skilled' players?

Most general fairy floss discussion I've come up against since there is no names!