• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 Soccer

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would love to see it tbh.

Love how cricket is so adaptable that 3 forms of the sport can be so successful internationally, which I guess it isn't that hard to do when your first incarnation goes for 5 days. Not many other sports are as adaptable. So, was thinking of ways other sports could make themselves more adaptable and appeal to audiences that don't really follow the sport.

As someone who finds the 'World Game' rather boring I'd love to see soccer adopt a 20/20 format. 20 penalty shoot out each side. Could be rather awesome with a game over in about half an hour.

I know this is going to upset many of the soccer fans on this forum, but don't care tbh. I know I would pay to see it, as penalty shootouts are the only time I get interested in the sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The best way of making football more exciting would clearly be added-time multi-ball

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
This thread is a joke, surely? Shootouts are one of the biggest problems with football, for mine. They're exciting, but they aren't an accurate measure.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
If they ever want to change things in soccer, the best thing to do is remove the Penalty shoot out's and continue on with extra time and extra time till you get an outright winner.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
If they ever want to change things in soccer, the best thing to do is remove the Penalty shoot out's and continue on with extra time and extra time till you get an outright winner.
If a game was to go on for 200-300 or more minutes which it potentially could with continuous extra time, there would be a huge amount of injuries and at the end players would be worse than exhausted. That would be a massive handicap, especially in an international tournament when you have to play a game every 4-5 days.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heard a suggestion before about during extra time keep removing one player from each team every 5 minutes till there's a result, would open the game up plenty but also has the potential to go on and on and on.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
If a game was to go on for 200-300 or more minutes which it potentially could with continuous extra time, there would be a huge amount of injuries and at the end players would be worse than exhausted. That would be a massive handicap, especially in an international tournament when you have to play a game every 4-5 days.
The suggestion has been to drop a player off every five or ten minutes until you get a result. Would make for interesting (not necessarily good, I wouldn't know) viewing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Imo if it gets to the stage (in a final) that two teams cannot be separated after extra time then the trophy should be shared. But in the current sporting Climate the demand for an outright winner and the financial implications surrounding any major tournament this would be impossible.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard a suggestion before about during extra time keep removing one player from each team every 5 minutes till there's a result, would open the game up plenty but also has the potential to go on and on and on.
SirBloody Idiot said:
The suggestion has been to drop a player off every five or ten minutes until you get a result. Would make for interesting (not necessarily good, I wouldn't know) viewing.
Great minds, it seems.

cpr

International Coach
If Rugby can have a 7's tourney, why not follow the same with footie, full size pitch, 7 a side. For added fun have fly keeper or heads and volleys

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, you don't reduce a 90 minute game :lol:

Soccer atm is still not as long as 20/20 cricket.

I still reckon if you removed penalty shootouts, and played until there was a winner (golden goal after extra time I guess) it'd be frickin' entertaining.

Imagine the 06 world cup, it'd almost be last man standing. Eventually a few players would cramp up and wouldn't be able to move, it'd be incredibly awesome viewing.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So win earlier then.

Survival of the fittest.

Just like in Grand Slam tennis. If you can't win by breaking in the 5th set, tough luck. Whether its 10-8 or 20-18, you need to prove you're actually the better player to advance, and if this is a disadvantage come the next round, that's bad luck, you should have beaten your opponent earlier.