• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Football (Soccer) team do you support?

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Always wanted this thread, never got around to starting it.

Well I support Arsenal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tranmere Rovers. Welsh Cup Winners 1935, Third Division North Winners 1938, Associate Members Cup Winners 1990, runners-up 1991, League Cup runners-up 2000

Shove your 27 titles across the water, you bastards

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Arsenal here too. Champions in 31, 33, 34, 35, 38, 48, 53, 71, 89, 91, 98, 02 & 04.

I also kinda follow Cambridge United as my local "pat-on-the-head" smaller team.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur FC. First division champions in 1951, 1961, FA Cup winners in 1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967, 1981, 1982, 1991, League Cup champions in 1971, 1973, 1999 and 2008. UEFA Cup winners in 1972 (first ever UEFA Cup) and 1984, Cup Winner's Cup...winners in 1963.

Always wanted this thread, never got around to starting it.

Well I support Arsenal.
Seriously mate, the lowest of the low.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Manchester United. First supported them in 1991/92, when PM Dawn were hitting the charts with their sample-job of Spandau Ballet's True with the fabulous Set Adrift On Memory Bliss, India were being hammered in Australia, Ian Broudie was leading The Lightning Seeds into battle for the first time with the brilliant (and football-centric) The Life Of Riley (used in the BCC Goal Of The Month for years), and England were comfortably defeating New Zealand in New Zealand in their least memorable series of the decade.

Man Utd, sadly, could not quite pip Leeds Utd to the title. I was devastEIGHTed, only partly appeased by the earlier victory in the might Rumbelows Cup (later Coca Cola and Carling Cup). However, the following season I was much happier, and the season after happier still.

I followed the club along with others religiously between 1994/95 and 1998/99. We failed to win the Premiership in 1994/95 of course, and this was probably a bigger disappointment than the Leeds failure. At least Blackburn had a sensational season.

After 1999/2000 I started to drift away from my religious following as cricket (and a fair few other things) took precedent. I still follow the team closely though, and I was as delighted on Sunday last week as I have been at any point aside from May 1999. The triumphs over Chelski the last 2 seasons have been particularly sweet, due obviously to their overt sugardaddying and 2 previous seasons' triumphs. But I barely take any notice of anything else in football these days.

Why did I support them? Because Dad did. And he supported them because his Dad did. He'd worked on the groundstaff you see, and died in 1968, 17 years before I was born. More than anything, my Man Utd fanship is a tribute to "Special Grandad".

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Manchester United. First supported them in 1991/92, when PM Dawn were hitting the charts with their sample-job of Spandau Ballet's True with the fabulous Set Adrift On Memory Bliss, India were being hammered in Australia, Ian Broudie was leading The Lightning Seeds into battle for the first time with the brilliant (and football-centric) The Life Of Riley (used in the BCC Goal Of The Month for years), and England were comfortably defeating New Zealand in New Zealand in their least memorable series of the decade.

Man Utd, sadly, could not quite pip Leeds Utd to the title. I was devastEIGHTed, only partly appeased by the earlier victory in the might Rumbelows Cup (later Coca Cola and Carling Cup). However, the following season I was much happier, and the season after happier still.

I followed the club along with others religiously between 1994/95 and 1998/99. We failed to win the Premiership in 1994/95 of course, and this was probably a bigger disappointment than the Leeds failure. At least Blackburn had a sensational season.

After 1999/2000 I started to drift away from my religious following as cricket (and a fair few other things) took precedent. I still follow the team closely though, and I was as delighted on Sunday last week as I have been at any point aside from May 1999. The triumphs over Chelski the last 2 seasons have been particularly sweet, due obviously to their overt sugardaddying and 2 previous seasons' triumphs. But I barely take any notice of anything else in football these days.
Yeah, nice one Rich, miss out when it was Worthington Cup and meant most :@

Oh and :-O at you posting in the GSF, first time I reckon

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain

Why did I support them? Because Dad did. And he supported them because his Dad did. He'd worked on the groundstaff you see, and died in 1968, 17 years before I was born.
And Wales?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh and :-O at you posting in the GSF, first time I reckon
Nah, have done once or twice before TBH, and thought I might as well post in this most straighforward of threads.

If snooker was as good as it was in the 1990s I'd post on threads about that too. But with the abundance of nothing players currently doing well, I'm not really interested enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Wales?
And Wales what? My Dad's only half-Welsh, and regards himself as more Lancastrian than anything, he was raised there. He supports Wigan Athletic (and Newcastle United after we moved up there 8-)) too, as well as Wigan in the rugby league.

I've always managed to keep his Man Utd head just above the water, mind.

My Welsh side is more from Mum's side than anything. But I've never cared much for Welsh football teams - support their national side above all others, and obviously do in the rugby union too. Welsh domestic football has zero profile though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
United. Champions of England in 08, 11, 52, 56, 57, 65, 67, 93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07 and 08. Champions of Europe in 68, 99, and, just maybe, 08 (we could be Champions of Europe in just over 24 hours. **** me.)

Support them because Dad does.

Started supporting them in, I think, February of 1995. Don't really remember the events of that season, well I remember the last game vaguely, and the run-in in general vaguely but I don't know how much of this is a genuine memory and how much of it is from watching Premiership Years which has made me think I remember it.

FWIW I didn't see Ole win us The Treble in 1999 - when Teddy scored I was convinced Bayern were going to go up our end score straight away and so turned the TV off. First found out we'd won about a minute after I turned the TV off, as dad was screaming into the phone from the stadium.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Funnily enough my old man was a Man Utd fan. Imagine his bosom must've swelled with pride when I grew up to be a Gooner.

His fault for not indoctrinating me at an early age.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tottenham Hotspur, Colchester United and New Zealand's equivalent to an English sunday league pub team, the Wellington Phoenix.

Just the teams I've seen the most (other than Southampton)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Funnily enough my old man was a Man Utd fan. Imagine his bosom must've swelled with pride when I grew up to be a Gooner.

His fault for not indoctrinating me at an early age.
Hehe, my Dad is a staunch red, has two sons, one Evertonian and me, hardcore white

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FWIW I didn't see Ole win us The Treble in 1999 - when Teddy scored I was convinced Bayern were going to go up our end score straight away and so turned the TV off. First found out we'd won about a minute after I turned the TV off, as dad was screaming into the phone from the stadium.
Saw 'em both myself, obviously, but had some family friends (who are also fans) ring us 5 minutes after full-time and ask "has the extra-time started yet?"

Woeful as the game was, I've never jumped off my seat or screamed at the TV in my life apart from two moments within a couple of minutes of each other - involving Sheringham and Solskjær in stoppage-time in May 1999.

Steulen

International Regular
PSV Eindhoven. Was born and raised 10 miles from the stadium and love it, absolutely love it, every year when they snatch another title from those Amsterdam loudmouths.

Internationally, always like to see Barcelona do well. And whatever team has my current favourite players in them. Which means, atm, I'm kind of supporting both Barca and Real Madrid (because of Van the Man), if that is actually possible.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And Wales what? My Dad's only half-Welsh, and regards himself as more Lancastrian than anything, he was raised there. He supports Wigan Athletic (and Newcastle United after we moved up there 8-)) too, as well as Wigan in the rugby league.

I've always managed to keep his Man Utd head just above the water, mind.

My Welsh side is more from Mum's side than anything. But I've never cared much for Welsh football teams - support their national side above all others, and obviously do in the rugby union too. Welsh domestic football has zero profile though.
Pfft, should pay more attention imo. Bangor City won the Welsh FA Cup this year.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
:sick: