• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest English football XI

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pains me to admit it, but you'd have to have at least one T*ttenham player in there. I'd personally have Greavesie up front, but if not him the boy Loin-acre (© Mick Channon during Mexico 86) has a good case.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pains me to admit it, but you'd have to have at least one T*ttenham player in there. I'd personally have Greavesie up front, but if not him the boy Loin-acre (© Mick Channon during Mexico 86) has a good case.
I was thinking more of Gary Mabbutt.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Greaves is massively in front of Lineker IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not massively in my opinion, a stain on his record was Greaves' record in World Cups.
Fair point, actually, I suppose this is an international squad, rather than a squad based on club exploits. Still, Greaves' record at international level overall does take some beating.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
................Shearer - Sheringham................
Corden............................................McManaman
..................Ince Anderton Batty..................
.................Pearce Walker Adams.................
...........................Seaman...........................

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
................Shearer - Sheringham................
Corden............................................McManaman
..................Ince Anderton Batty..................
.................Pearce Walker Adams.................
...........................Seaman...........................
Darren Anderton in central midfield?

Dire dire dire dire dire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was picked by 6 different managers itbt.
I'd wager that 70% of his appearances were under either Hoddle or Venables mind (though obviously one could argue that he would have been in his prime as it were during the time they were manager).

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Should never have played for England tbh, got as many caps as he did through being a favourite of Hoddle and Venables.
A) He was the most talented English winger of his generation, the only thing that stopped him from getting 100 caps like Beckham was an incredible succession of injuries.

B) He only ever got 12 caps, 4 of those after Hoddle was sacked as England manager.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A) He was the most talented English winger of his generation, the only thing that stopped him from getting 100 caps like Beckham was an incredible succession of injuries.

B) He only ever got 12 caps, 4 of those after Hoddle was sacked as England manager.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't disagree with this, shame he was forever injured and thus unable to show his true worth.