• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Euro 2008

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, Barney correct on Veron as well. When he was played as a deep lying playmaker (played there for United occasionally, tbf), he played extremely well, however when Ferguson tried to fit him in a normal midfield it just didn't work. On top of this it meant Scholes had to move up to second striker, which also didn't work. 01/02 a season to forget, itbt.

I remember one of Veron's first games, against Blackburn on Prem Plus. He was awesome that night, really thought with him in the side playing like that we'd be a real force. Shame it never happened.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Veron wasn't a bad signing. He was just used abysmally.

Look at his performances over most of his career before he joined ManYoo and he was quite clearly a world class player. Ferguson just had no idea how to fit him in, and subsequently Veron's confidence was knocked so greatly by the time he got to a club who would play him in the right position (Chelsea occasionally did, but it wasn't until he left Europe that someone finally got it right), that he would never hit the heights he previously had. He stayed in the Argentina squad all the way up until a couple of years back, so clearly he was still up to some level of top quality football.

Same applies to Forlan - clearly a decent player, Fergie just didn't use him right. Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Heinze, Saha - all of them have performed at one time or another in their career, but Ferguson didn't get the best out of them. Certain types of players don't respond to his style of management.
Big point that, looking back i guess that pretty much is why Veron & Forlan along with a few others especially a few of the average goal-keepers including a past his best Barthez SAF bought after Schemichel (spell check) left until he got Van der Sar didn't really step up. Those were some big signing which went bad Wenger made none such during that period of lets say 99 to 04 when the United/Arsenal rivalry was it i thought Wenger was better and still do.

Even though the gunners aren't winning many people still reckon Arsenal are the best team to watch in the league a testament to the man.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Same applies to Forlan - clearly a decent player, Fergie just didn't use him right. Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Heinze, Saha - all of them have performed at one time or another in their career, but Ferguson didn't get the best out of them. Certain types of players don't respond to his style of management.
Just seen this, and disagree. Heinze, whilst he is Judas, was admittedly very good indeed for us. Saha likewise (albeit to a lesser extent), on the rare occasions he hasn't been injured. Djemba-Djemba was just a poor signing, and Kleberson I agree with.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Those were some big signing which went bad Wenger made none such during that period of lets say 99 to 04 when the United/Arsenal rivalry was it i thought Wenger was better and still do.
Tbh, as an Arsenal fan I would say that the signing of Francis Jeffers was a very poor piece of business indeed. Probably the worst signing that Wenger has made since taking over at Arsenal.

Edit: though interestingly Jeffers' goal scoring ratio for Arsenal in games which he started is pretty decent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh, as an Arsenal fan I would say that the signing of Francis Jeffers was a very poor piece of business indeed. Probably the worst signing that Wenger has made since taking over at Arsenal.

Edit: though interestingly Jeffers' goal scoring ratio for Arsenal in games which he started is pretty decent.
I honestly can't remember him at all but he never a first team player. Don't know if this ever played together but for a good season or a settle Arsenal XI around the 2000-04 period along the lines of:

----------------------------------------------------------------Seaman-----------------------------------

Lauren-------------------------------------Campbell---------------Adams-------------------Cole

Pires---------------------------------------Vieira------------Ljungberg----------------Overmars

----------------------------------------------------Bergkamp--------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Henry------------------------

With Dixon, Wiltord, Kanu, Gilberto, Keown, Toure, Parlor being regular back-ups..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neither Petit or Overmars shouldn't be in there either, as they left Arsenal about 6 months into 2000. If the team was a 1998-2004 there would be a case for them, but not 2000-2004.