• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Euro 2008

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dont reckon it'd be any busier than the English football thread tbh, not really a need for a sub section
The World Cup had 8,000 posts in a month.

The English football thread had half that in ten months.

(Yes, I know we'll have rather fewer Aussies watching the Euro, but still. Reckon it'll draw some crowds.)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Germany and Italy are joint favourites for mine.

I don't think Holland can win it - they have plenty of punch upfront but they rely a little too much on Sneijder for playmaking and I don't think their defence is that great.
Spain have talent allround (forwads, midfield, defence and gk) but can they actually fulfill their potential ?
Big call, considering for all their talent, they have only won 1 major tournament at senior level viz the 1964 Euro Championships.

Portugal could be worth a punt. A fit, dynamic squad that is well coached. Wouldn't be overly surprised if they go all the way.

For me the dark horses are the French.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Shouldn't be any more active than a match thread in CC. Don't think we need a sub-forum, it's not going cause any bother if there is one though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The World Cup had 8,000 posts in a month.

The English football thread had half that in ten months.

(Yes, I know we'll have rather fewer Aussies watching the Euro, but still. Reckon it'll draw some crowds.)
Yeah but the likes of me, Brumby, marc etc must have posted a LOT in that forum. Hell, it's where I first fell out with certain former TF stalwarts. Just can't see it having that level of activity. Who posts here and supports a team that's qualified? Jamee, Mitchell sort of..TT Boy is half-Dutch IIRC...but not much anyhow

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah but the likes of me, Brumby, marc etc must have posted a LOT in that forum. Hell, it's where I first fell out with certain former TF stalwarts. Just can't see it having that level of activity. Who posts here and supports a team that's qualified? Jamee, Mitchell sort of..TT Boy is half-Dutch IIRC...but not much anyhow
Steulen & Kweek the obvious two, I suppose.

I'll probably end up watching the majority of it I'd imagine, but I won't be as emotionally invested, obv. Haven't even got the Micks to fall back on for second-hand patriotism like '94.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
****, can't believe I forgot those two. Sincere apologies!! Always forget that Steulen is Dutch tbh, his posts are like Hakon's, bloody better English than the likes of me, and Kweek, well no excuses really, sorry haha :ph34r:

Yeah, WC94, awesome, only time a Tranmere player has ever played in the WC (whilst playing for the whites that is, we later signed Gary Stevens who was skinned by Maradona in 86) and boy did he make himself seen at that tournament!! :laugh

Can't find a decent pic sadly. Came on and scored though :cool:

cpr

International Coach
Yeah, WC94, awesome, only time a Tranmere player has ever played in the WC (whilst playing for the whites that is, we later signed Gary Stevens who was skinned by Maradona in 86) and boy did he make himself seen at that tournament!! :laugh

More like made a scene, remember him and Jackie having a nice touch line barney, was it at the linesman for not allowing him to be subbed on?

Still remember Ray Houghton's cracker against Italy to win 1-0 like it was yesterday.

Still have nightmares about the very dodgy haircuts they all decided to sport n all....

James

Cricket Web Owner
Looks like the general feeling from members and mods alike is that a seperate forum isn't needed, so we won't go there.

cpr

International Coach
Well, no arguments with that, beyond the fact theres not really much need for sticky's in this section, as threads tend to stay on page one as theres not exactly that many cropping up. Guess this one will stay in the top 3 anyway once the comp starts.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've got more claim than Jamee ffs.

Craig

World Traveller
When talking about the Jerry's, I assume they mean Germany? Sorry I never got the book for christmas or for my birthday on English slang that I should know about.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes the Jerrys are the Germans. Stems back to WWI or WWII iirc. Dont' know how it eventuated though.

Steulen

International Regular
****, can't believe I forgot those two. Sincere apologies!! Always forget that Steulen is Dutch tbh, his posts are like Hakon's, bloody better English than the likes of me , and Kweek, well no excuses really, sorry haha :ph34r:

Can't find a decent pic sadly. Came on and scored though :cool:
Fank u verry much, GIMH, its much aprecciated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
More like made a scene, remember him and Jackie having a nice touch line barney, was it at the linesman for not allowing him to be subbed on?

Still remember Ray Houghton's cracker against Italy to win 1-0 like it was yesterday.

Still have nightmares about the very dodgy haircuts they all decided to sport n all....
Well they had every right to be angry since the official had let the player come off but not let Aldo go on so Ireland were down to 10 men for no explicable reason