View Poll Results: Should the Play-Offs Be Scraped?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scrap Em

3 17.65%
  • Scram Em?? GTFO

11 64.71%
  • Firey was gun

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English Football: Should The Play-Offs Be Scrapped?

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2

English Football: Should The Play-Offs Be Scrapped?

Sparked from a recent convo I had on MSN.

Should the Play-Offs be scrapped?
    Team X with 80pts could end up in the same division while team Y with 70pts goes up. Disgraceful?

or

If your not good enough to win the play-offs you don't deserve to go up?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by headhunter; 04-05-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I'm still bitter about BBC2 showing the signing of the Good Friday Agreement instead of the Simpsons.
    Manager XpertEleven side: BEST Indies FC: Won Champions Cup 1 season 5
    Premiership Last Man Standing: headhunter 26/10-26/11/07 Agent TBY & headhunter (tied) 08/08-25/08/08
    CW Blue - We are the Blues, we never lose.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter
    English Football: Should The Play-Offs Be Scraped?
    You want the Play-Offs to under go Gynaecological testing? Apparently, there's a vaccine that eliminates the need for the scraping these days.

In other news, the Play-offs are a great occasion and a chance for a lower-tier team to work their way to Wembley. Eradicating the play-offs also increases the size of the area of "mid-table obscurity" on the football ladder, ensuring a greater volume of meaningless games as the season reaches it's climax.

Play-offs should be retained.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    You want the Play-Offs to under go Gynaecological testing? Apparently, there's a vaccine that eliminates the need for the scraping these days.

In other news, the Play-offs are a great occasion and a chance for a lower-tier team to work their way to Wembley. Eradicating the play-offs also increases the size of the area of "mid-table obscurity" on the football ladder, ensuring a greater volume of meaningless games as the season reaches it's climax.

Play-offs should be retained.
    Lol, my bad.
    Sigh just spotted another one is the poll.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Anger-inducing as they may be, they are an absolute definite must. Without them, most leagues will be full of dead patches by February.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Get rid of the Playoffs? What yo' talking 'bout fool?

Personally i hope Exeter lose tomorrow, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    voted yes, for the reason you gave, season lasts 46 games and some punk team has a good run of three or four games in may and they go up when they haven't been quite as consistent. Also find it funny the team that wins through the play offs gets a trophy, wtf is that about? You're third best ffs, you don't get a trophy.

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Play-offs are an absolute must for 24-team divisions. Since they don't have European spots to play for, making the top three auto-promote would make for some very boring football after a certain point in the season.
    orz

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'm a fan. As others have elluded to they create more interest for longer. I think I read yesterday that 10 of the 13 Championship games had something resting on them, be it automatic promotion, a play-off spot or avoiding the drop.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Yes, AWTA, though I would rework them slightly.

IMO it should be done like the Super League is (I think), where 6th plays 5th, the winner plays 4th and so on. I'd like a reward for finishing 3rd rather than 6th.

One football rule that should be scrapped as soon as possible is the away goals rule, what an utter **** that rule is.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Yes, AWTA, though I would rework them slightly.

IMO it should be done like the Super League is (I think), where 6th plays 5th, the winner plays 4th and so on. I'd like a reward for finishing 3rd rather than 6th.

One football rule that should be scrapped as soon as possible is the away goals rule, what an utter **** that rule is.
    Yes I agree, at least then it makes the games more interesting and the teams have to come out and play football instead of a European Cup Semi Final if the away team draws 1-1 (or whatever scoring draw), they can just sit back and play long ball up to the lone striker up front for 90 minutes. Boring I say.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Yes I agree, at least then it makes the games more interesting and the teams have to come out and play football instead of a European Cup Semi Final if the away team draws 1-1 (or whatever scoring draw), they can just sit back and play long ball up to the lone striker up front for 90 minutes. Boring I say.
    Would disagree there. All it would mean is more penalty shoot-outs. At least the away goals rule half-encourages teams to have a go away from home.

If away goals didn't count double Benitez would've just stuck 57 men behind the ball at Stamford Badge on Weds. As it was yer Scousers had to chase the result & we had one of the more entertaining Euro semis.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Away goals should be considered only if goals has been scored in both games....

that way we could have minimum 2-2
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    If away goals didn't count double Benitez would've just stuck 57 men behind the ball at Stamford Badge on Weds. As it was yer Scousers had to chase the result & we had one of the more entertaining Euro semis.
    It also works the other way, just encourages home teams to defend, which is my main problem with it. On Tuesday, United gradually became less and less adventurous because we knew that one Barca goal would put us out.

Rangers have got as far as they have by playing negative football, partly motivated by the away goals rule - they know a 0-0 at home first leg, while not ideal, is not the worst result due to the away goals rule. Of course there was also talk prior to Tuesday about Barcelona's 0-0 at home against us being a good result.

It would result in more penalty shoot-outs, which is why ideally I'd make the European Cup, the UEFA Cup and whatnot a straight knock-out again, meaning less games and more time for replays. Obviously this won't happen, which is IMO a shame.

It also works the other way, just encourages home teams to defend, which is my main problem with it. On Tuesday, United gradually became less and less adventurous because we knew that one Barca goal would put us out.

Rangers have got as far as they have by playing negative football, partly motivated by the away goals rule - they know a 0-0 at home first leg, while not ideal, is not the worst result due to the away goals rule. Of course there was also talk prior to Tuesday about Barcelona's 0-0 at home against us being a good result.

It would result in more penalty shoot-outs, which is why ideally I'd make the European Cup a straight knock-out again, meaning less games and more time for replays. Obviously this won't happen, which is IMO a shame.
    I'd prefer it as a straight knock-out too, no question about that. The cup doesn't really come alive until after the group stage.

I do think tho that if we did away with the away goals rule it would lead to an increase in negative football. Both teams would become more defensive, rather than just the home team.

Ultimately any way of splitting teams is going to be arbitrary, but I'd take away goals ahead of pens &, ultimately, more shoot-outs would be the result. I enjoy a penalty shoot-out as much as the next man, but they are something of a lottery.

International Coach
    Yes, I agree, I hate penalties too, no question about that. In an ideal world, replays is what I'd do. Anyway, I have a feeling this discussion is becoming circular.

I'm not sure why both teams would become more defensive - why would become more defensive without away goals?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information