Let me first start by laying out some basic facts.
- Im big 6'1" and about 105 kg and have wing speed (at a reasonable level though obviously not the highest).
- Im just coming back form torn ligamants and my knee is no where near fit
- Im not in great shape due to being out of action for over 3 months and Im carrying about 5+ kgs too much. I can barely run to the toilet at the moment let alone run an intercept back.
- Ive played in only 1 game of Rugby Union in my life.
- Weakest part of my Rugby is my tackling.
Ok, Ive got a 7s tornament coming up. Opposition is scheduled to include teams such as the national teams of Georgia and Moldova (both of which have played in IRB Sevens World Series at Twickenham) and a team of Fijians based in the UK.
What should I be looking at doing a) during the game and b) in preparation
My 2 main skills are my size and speed and due to injury they are lessened and Im afraid that as my advantages shrink my disadvantages such as lack of experience, reading the game and poor cardio will hurt me.
I dont expect anything close to perfection but I hate doing something poorly. Ive got less than a few weeks to get an edge I otherwise wouldnt have.
Any help? Due to my size and speed my team are expecting me to make a big impact but Im starting to feel a little out of my depth in terms of experience, fitness and know how.
EDIT- Should add that Ive never played a game of 7s in my life