• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help- Rugby Advice Needed

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Let me first start by laying out some basic facts.

- Im big 6'1" and about 105 kg and have wing speed (at a reasonable level though obviously not the highest).

- Im just coming back form torn ligamants and my knee is no where near fit

- Im not in great shape due to being out of action for over 3 months and Im carrying about 5+ kgs too much. I can barely run to the toilet at the moment let alone run an intercept back.

- Ive played in only 1 game of Rugby Union in my life.

- Weakest part of my Rugby is my tackling.

Ok, Ive got a 7s tornament coming up. Opposition is scheduled to include teams such as the national teams of Georgia and Moldova (both of which have played in IRB Sevens World Series at Twickenham) and a team of Fijians based in the UK.

What should I be looking at doing a) during the game and b) in preparation

My 2 main skills are my size and speed and due to injury they are lessened and Im afraid that as my advantages shrink my disadvantages such as lack of experience, reading the game and poor cardio will hurt me.

I dont expect anything close to perfection but I hate doing something poorly. Ive got less than a few weeks to get an edge I otherwise wouldnt have.

Any help? Due to my size and speed my team are expecting me to make a big impact but Im starting to feel a little out of my depth in terms of experience, fitness and know how.

EDIT- Should add that Ive never played a game of 7s in my life

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It really doesn't matter overly in sevens. The game's all about space & pace. If you're big & quick you might want to consider scrum-half even. You'll get a lot of the ball & only have to put it in to half-arsed three-man chicken-scratch scrums.

If you're worried about your knee tho the wing is the place to be. No-one will expect you to make any tackles.

Depends on the level, really. What sort of oppo will you have?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the level, really. What sort of oppo will you have?

Opposition is scheduled to include teams such as the national teams of Georgia and Moldova (both of which have played in IRB Sevens World Series at Twickenham) and a team of Fijians based in the UK.
:detective

Actually, Goughy, with your size, I'd suggest you play in the forwards in the sevens game - will probably put a bit less pressure on your knee with twisting to turn and chase and so on.

As for training, I really have no idea about this stuff, but I'd suggest shuttle runs...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Building the knee muscles up - Lie down on your back with your toes aimed at the ceiling. Then pull your toes towards you slightly, not a huge amount, then lift your leg. Go for steady reps rather than speed. Will build up the muscles that surround the knee.

Got given that to do when my cruciate ligaments were all over the place. Can't hurt to give it a whirl.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some good stuff. A move further inside or to the forwards could be a good idea and Ill try the exercise that Mat suggested.

News from this morning is that the Georgia national team is still hoping to come but are having Visa issues. Seems to be a whole thing every time they travel but now Ukraine appear to be also coming. Dont imagine they will be overly skilled but I expect them to be pretty big, hard, athletic guys.

Despite being excited by the idea, Im not sure this is the best place for a broken down, out of shape, cricketer that works in a soft job in an office. :)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Aren't Georgia like the 8th best team in Europe?

EDIT: Yeah, they were at RWC 03, and 07. They nearly beat Argentina and Ireland last year.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Aren't Georgia like the 8th best team in Europe?

EDIT: Yeah, they were at RWC 03, and 07. They nearly beat Argentina and Ireland last year.
Yeah, but they don't believe in sevens.

Ukraine used to be good, played in Six Nations B as late as 2006. Lost ten games though. And Moldova reached the semis of the European Sevens Championship.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We just had another practice tonight. There is no way Im moving to the scrum. The big boys are all sweaty and I dont really want to touch heads with them. Seriously :)

We worked on me coming from the blindside and taking the ball from the scrum and breaking the line which is far more suited to my skills and gentle sensibilities.

We only have a couple of weeks to go and IMO we have a mountain to climb

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
If I was you, I'd get some cardio work is because there isn't anywhere to hide on 7s field.

You have to delay your tackling if there's men in support because the offload can cripple you in 7s if you can't wrap the ball up in the tackle.

Sounds like a great opportunity to play a high standard of sport, even if it's something you don't have much experience in! :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, missing a tackle in 7s is as good as giving away a try tbh, you really can't be doing it.

The only real place as to where poor tackling can be excused is (if you are really good with the ball in hand) on the wing, but even then, you really need to be able to at least bring people down.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
****. All irrelevant now.
A full clean break of my right arm from an awkward fall today.

In a cast for 1 month. Worked hard to get my knee back and now this

Going to go get drunk now

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My team lost all 3 games heavily on the opening day.

In other news, if I ever turn gay Im moving to the Ukraine and hanging aroung Rugby clubs. The most incredible physical specimens .