• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NRL 2008 Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Thing is, Paterson had a storming debut season, and anyone who couldn't see that obviously has nfi. He IS a good player, as is Houston.
Yeah but both were very inconsistent for most of the season. They had some really good games at times. But it would take a dramatic increase in consistency for them to have a significant impact on the Knights performances, especially with their with lack support around them. If they perform near their potential it might help them stay off the bottom of table, but not much more. The big problem is not that they have some players with talent, it is the guys around them that will be problem. They tried a lot of players last season and only a few were really good enough.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but both were very inconsistent for most of the season. They had some really good games at times. But it would take a dramatic increase in consistency for them to have a significant impact on the Knights performances, especially with their with lack support around them. If they perform near their potential it might help them stay off the bottom of table, but not much more. The big problem is not that they have some players with talent, it is the guys around them that will be problem. They tried a lot of players last season and only a few were really good enough.
Haha, as if Paterson was inconsistent, Houston yes, but no way was Paterson inconsistent. Unless of course you're thinking along the same line as PEWS (He was inconsistent, good one day, godlike the next) that is...

He was basically the only Knights forward that stood up and made himself accountable each week, not to mention the fact that he outplayed some quality oppositions forwards on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, as if Paterson was inconsistent, Houston yes, but no way was Paterson inconsistent. Unless of course you're thinking along the same line as PEWS (He was inconsistent, good one day, godlike the next) that is...

He was basically the only Knights forward that stood up and made himself accountable each week, not to mention the fact that he outplayed some quality oppositions forwards on a fairly regular basis.
I thought he was great. Slightly went of the pace at the end of the season, but pretty much everyone did at the Knights.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH the way Tharmi talks up Matt Orford I'm not sure his opinion is relevant here...
Paterson will be good if he isnt screwed up by Brian Smith, Houston I haven't seen enough of to make a fair assesment, he looked ok but I'll reserve judgement for now...

Simon

In the International between Australia and New Zealand he had 7 line breaks... set up around 3-4 trys and not to mention knocked around the entire NZ forward pack which is a very difficult task
Not sure someone playing 5/8 and domainating a very poor NZ side can turn someone into the best forward in the world.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought he was great. Slightly went of the pace at the end of the season, but pretty much everyone did at the Knights.
He did have some injury troubles at the end of the season, which explains why he was only good, and not godlike :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH the way Tharmi talks up Matt Orford I'm not sure his opinion is relevant here...
Don't think I have ever really talked up Orford that much tbh. Only reason I reckon he should make the SOO side, is that he better the other options, which doesn't really say much about him. If we ever win a preimership in the next couple years, it wont be on the back of Orford.

sideshowtim

Banned
Raiders won't get the spoon this year. People underestimate how hard it is for teams to play at Bruce on those cold winter nights. The points they get from home games where the opposition has come unprepared will save them from the spoon. I reckon St George will grab the spoon.

Griffo

Cricket Spectator
Not sure someone playing 5/8 and domainating a very poor NZ side can turn someone into the best forward in the world.
So what he did against QLD is out of your memory? That hit on Thurston changed the entire game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Raiders won't get the spoon this year. People underestimate how hard it is for teams to play at Bruce on those cold winter nights. The points they get from home games where the opposition has come unprepared will save them from the spoon. I reckon St George will grab the spoon.
I agree with the Raiders comment.

When you have a team with Carney controlling things supported by Dobson or Campese, good front rowers in Logan and Miller backed up by Tilse and Weyman, a back row conprising of Costigan, Tongue and hopefully Learoyd Lahs, an exciting backline consisting of Zillman, Monaghan and Graham, the Raiders have enough potential to realistically challenge for a position in the top 8.

Simon

I agree with the Raiders comment.

When you have a team with Carney controlling things supported by Dobson or Campese, good front rowers in Logan and Miller backed up by Tilse and Weyman, a back row conprising of Costigan, Tongue and hopefully Learoyd Lahs, an exciting backline consisting of Zillman, Monaghan and Graham, the Raiders have enough potential to realistically challenge for a position in the top 8.
They are stronger than most people realise, probably have the best forward depth in the NRL imo, but still lack consistency to be a top 4 side... Give them two or three seasons and they will be premiership challengers again.

howardj

International Coach
Man I cant wait for the season to start. Few things better in life than finishing work on Friday, then heading out to a game with a few gentle grogs under your belt.