• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NRL 2008 Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broncs are no chance without Petero imo
wouldnt say that, if we can get the best out of Joel Clinton and then Dave Taylor keeps progressing then we have nothing to worry about.
The most worrying aspect for the Broncos is the outside backs, not sure if Nick Emmett is up to being a regular starter in the NRL...

Simon

What makes you think El Masri will be dropped to Premier League? Given that he has been a tremendous servant to the Dogs for many years and the fact that his goal kicking is still by far the best int he world, I sincerely doubt he'll get dropped. Sure he has lost a lot of speed but he is still good at sneaking out tries close to the line, and as I mentioned earlier, there is nothing suggesting that his goal kicking has dropped off.
Just think Bulldogs will look to go in another direction and if they are struggling he may be chopped if he isnt at his best, I can really see it happening.

howardj

International Coach
Season prediction time? I think so

Table at end of season

1 Parramatta Eels

I totally respect your footy knowledge, but mate you're putting an awful lot of faith in Timmy Smith remaining sober for the year. I reckon he'll be back on it by the winter months!

Simon

I totally respect your footy knowledge, but mate you're putting an awful lot of faith in Timmy Smith remaining sober for the year. I reckon he'll be back on it by the winter months!
The guy is a knob but he can play when his head is right. I just think overall they will have a good run with injuries and have enough points in them to win a lot of matches this season.

Craig

World Traveller
Melbourne's biggest concern will be keeping all of their star players under the salary cap. Israel's contract is up, and I've heard that the Bulldogs are ready to offer $400k a year at him and I think Cooper Cronk (best name for mine) is off contract as well and his value would be up considering he has played for Australia now. Not sure when Ryan Hoffman or Dallas Johnson's deals expire as well and I think Slater has another year to go. But if anybody can find a player to replace them and be one of the bbest in the business, it is them. Their scouting is second to none IMO.

Simon

the guy who found all their awesome players has gone to the Roosters, so Melbourne fans should enjoy the good times while they still can...

Theres still a lot of talk that Folau will end up with either Brisbane or Gold Coast in 09 because he wants to live near his family. I dont think Brisbane can afford him as we have a lot of players off contract who we want to keep...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Manly to win the premiership this season and Orford to make his orgin debut. Going to be a good year for Sea Eagles. Reckon Parramatta will finish minor premiers though and Warriors to win the U20s comp.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
first coach gone and i am a knights fan will be smity, and in will step a mr Andrew or Matthew Johns.

big tip....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
heard he was, could be thinking of Gordon tbh...
Yeah mate Gordon is def. NSW.

Just looked up Jennings on Panthers site, says he was an Under 19 NSW rep. He does have a chance for NSW, especially if you consider Collis could play.

I actually think Collis is better then Jennings, but last year you couldn't say that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Melbourne's biggest concern will be keeping all of their star players under the salary cap. Israel's contract is up, and I've heard that the Bulldogs are ready to offer $400k a year at him and I think Cooper Cronk (best name for mine) is off contract as well and his value would be up considering he has played for Australia now. Not sure when Ryan Hoffman or Dallas Johnson's deals expire as well and I think Slater has another year to go. But if anybody can find a player to replace them and be one of the bbest in the business, it is them. Their scouting is second to none IMO.
Pale Ale > Cooper Cronk.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Manly? Nah, they're gone without Monaghan IMO.
Nah Ballin will fit in pretty well. He wont play as well as Monnas, but it will be similar to how Glen Stewart replaced BK. I'm more worried about the total lose of Monnas and Burns if Orford gets injured or selected for SOO.

Simon

Yeah mate Gordon is def. NSW.

Just looked up Jennings on Panthers site, says he was an Under 19 NSW rep. He does have a chance for NSW, especially if you consider Collis could play.

I actually think Collis is better then Jennings, but last year you couldn't say that.
It was Gordon I was thinking of, he was recruited from the Queensland cup, but not sure if hes actually a qlder...

Simon

first coach gone and i am a knights fan will be smity, and in will step a mr Andrew or Matthew Johns.

big tip....
Doubt Matthew Johns would take on a role as head coach right now with his media career taken off and not to mention the conflict of interest with the roles he has with other clubs...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith won't be going anywhere. He's rid of the players he didn't want, and has made some pretty good signings for next season. A fit Buderus, Gidley, Mullen & Walsh behind what will now be a reasonably good pack should leave the Knights lurking around 8-12th imo.

Simon

its hard to see a standout team for the Spoon, I guess thats the salary cap doing its job, of course Raiders are favourites for it but they always do enough to avoid it.