• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Super 14 2008 Thread***

James

Cricket Web Owner
Was very interested to read that Dan Carter is looking to quit NZ Rugby at the end of the season when his contract expires and many English clubs are set to come in with big offers.

Would be a huge loss to NZ Rugby.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was very interested to read that Dan Carter is looking to quit NZ Rugby at the end of the season when his contract expires and many English clubs are set to come in with big offers.

Would be a huge loss to NZ Rugby.
Wow. Genuinely hadn't heard that. I assumed, as he hadn't joined the post-WC exodus, that he fancied another crack at bringing the Webb Ellis trophy back to NZ.

Mind you, I suppose it's feasible he could sign a two-year deal & be back for 2011. He's not that old, is he? 26 or something?

James

Cricket Web Owner
He's only 25, 26 next month, so has a good number of years left in him, so as you said, could well spend a couple of years in the UK earning big money and then return for the 2011 World Cup.

It's probably a good thing anyway. Seems as though the All Blacks need to adopt the English way of playing to win a RWC, so he can be our spy ;)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, don't expect Hayman to last out the full period of his contract in Newcastle.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Bulls were fortunate last week against the Stormers, so no surprise to see them go down last night, although, the magnitude of the defeat was a bit shocking. They were well and truly owned.

The Sharks are South Africa’s only hope.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who is the Vainakolo bloke who plays for the Highlanders, man he is fast.
Volts is our regular "Disgusted of Otago", so I'm sure he'll fill you in.

First time I've seen one of the ELVs have a potentially match-turning affect on a game there; Brumbies took the ball into the tackle & Highlanders got a free-kick when it wasn't recycled. I don't think it's the worst rule change ever, in all honesty, but I do think the ref was a wee bit previous in blowing-up on this occasion.

Anyway, nice to see the Brumbies stumble over the line. It's going to be very much a "transitional" year for them I'd say.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Gah, watching the Bulls was painful. Utterly overrun, no back row to speak of, unable to get to the pace of the running New Zealanders.

Grunt.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
After the bull**** call against Triggs in the first half, I'm boycotting watching any games involving the Highlanders, as we've been shafted two weeks in a row by the officials.

I'll take an interest in their results, but I'm refusing to watch. Our team is up against it as it is, without having the officials **** us over even further.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
He's only 25, 26 next month, so has a good number of years left in him, so as you said, could well spend a couple of years in the UK earning big money and then return for the 2011 World Cup.

It's probably a good thing anyway. Seems as though the All Blacks need to adopt the English way of playing to win a RWC, so he can be our spy ;)
Yuck.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Saw bits and pieces of the Bulls v Crusaders match. Brett is definitely putting his hand up for the vacant All Black number 12 shirt. He made some good breaks and his defense wasn't to shabby either. Much has been said about his defensive work but if he continues to play well there for the Crusaders I'm sure his defensive work will only get better.

cometer

State Regular
After the bull**** call against Triggs in the first half, I'm boycotting watching any games involving the Highlanders, as we've been shafted two weeks in a row by the officials.

I'll take an interest in their results, but I'm refusing to watch. Our team is up against it as it is, without having the officials **** us over even further.

Thought the referee was fairly consistent actually. For sure not everything went our way, so I wouldn't complain too much. Were a fair few offsides that weren't called for example. You can really only blame your goal kicker for missing towards the end there.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Few games that should be good this week, Bulls vs Sharks in a replay of last year's final should be particularly close. Hurricanes vs Chiefs also will be worth watching.

Am picking the Sharks and Canes to win the above matches. IMO Tahs should recover from last week's loss, Force to beat the Lions comfortably enough and big wins for the Brumbies, Crusaders, Blues.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Fairly decent predictions this round!

Only saw a couple of the games, both the New Zealand matches. Hurricanes and Chiefs both look short of a gallop though the Canes look to be finding their form. As I predicted the Tahs would beat the Highlanders at home, in a close but slightly lackluster match. Was amused when Palu scored his try, then got yellow carded after reacting to Cowan's tackle as he scored....which resulted in a penalty to Otago immediately following Beale's conversion, slightly bizarre.

Bulls off to a woeful start defending their title, it'll be a tough ask for them just to make the semis from here. Crusaders, Blues, Sharks looking very good bets for the top four spots and at this stage I'll pick the Tahs to sneak the final place.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting match between the Chiefs and Stormers tonight. Stormers won by 9 points but the Chiefs only have themselves, and their lack of ball retention, to blame. Few questionable referring calls didn't help them either, with the new laws resulting in a Stormers penalty try which would not have been penalisable under the previous laws.

Also a shame to see the Chiefs so makeshift for the last ten minutes, Kahui looks set for more time on the sideline, and Anesi also looked in some trouble.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wish I had the guts to bet on this. Could have got $2.70 on a Reds win...

(and as I write that Bulls score a try...)
You'd expect the Bulls do win most times, given the historical direness of the Reds in Super 12/14, but the Bulls have been soooo poor this year.

Ah, FFS, try for Schifers. Dropped him from my dream team this week too. Comedy defending. 8-)