• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Super 14 2008 Thread***

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Super 14 kicking off this weekend 8-)

My picks for the first round of games:

Crusaders vs Brumbies the opening game of the season, will be at the cricket while its taking place though. Crusaders to score a few late tries and win by 15-20.

Reds vs Highlanders in Queensland - I hate to say it but is it just me are do these two sides look the worst on paper this season? Highlanders to win after the Reds choke.

Last season's finalists the Sharks vs the Western Force, Sharks too good at home BUT I do think the Force will finish highly this season.

Blues vs Chiefs with the new experimental rules could prove to be a high scoring affair. Blues to win by 5-10 points.

Tahs have the TAB favourites tag against the Hurricanes but I'd back the Canes to win on the road.

Stormers host the defending champions the Bulls - Bulls to win comfortably enough in my opinion.

Cheetahs vs Lions (zzzzz) - Cheetahs to win.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Highlanders to surprise a few teams this year. And no, not surprise by how badly they'll play. Look out for Fetu'u Vainikolo on the wing, Bowden at 10, Adam Thomson on the blindside, and for Jamie Mackintosh to have a break-out year at loosehead prop.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Highlanders to surprise a few teams this year. And no, not surprise by how badly they'll play. Look out for Fetu'u Vainikolo on the wing, Bowden at 10, Adam Thomson on the blindside, and for Jamie Mackintosh to have a break-out year at loosehead prop.
Any relation to Big Les?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, cousin or something I think.

(I only know he is related, but the easy way to explain away my ignorance is "cousin"....)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Stormers to beat the Bulls and impress throughout until injuries make them implode. The Sharks to be the best of what South Africa has to offer and the Lions and Cheetahs will be fighting it out to see who comes last.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Crusaders make my prediction semi-correct. Anyone watch the game, opinions on the new experimental laws?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Watching Stormers v Bulls on the net right now. Pretty intriguing stuff when you're not used to rugby (having to consult wikipedia on the rules every couple of minutes :p )

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Watching Stormers v Bulls on the net right now. Pretty intriguing stuff when you're not used to rugby (having to consult wikipedia on the rules every couple of minutes :p )
Just to confuse things further ELVs (Experimental Law Variations) are being trailed in this year's comp, which can baffle even the officials.

Although it's maybe an advantage to be a newbie in this respect, as the previous laws aren't ingrained as they are for us more regular watchers.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Just to confuse things further ELVs (Experimental Law Variations) are being trailed in this year's comp, which can baffle even the officials.

Although it's maybe an advantage to be a newbie in this respect, as the previous laws aren't ingrained as they are for us more regular watchers.
Yeah, I kinda gathered. I don't really see it as a problem, the commentators will state the new rules as they go along.

The real problem will be if the experiment isn't continued and I have to unlearn what I have learnt.

Shabby stuff from the Bulls thus far, typical as I wanted to support them. :@

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
My God, the Hurricanes were terrible. Not a good advertisement for the ELVs, that's for sure.
Not many of games have been so far. I remember in ARC it wasn't until the latter stages that teams got used to the new rules. I dare say it will take a month or so, until we see any difference.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Major advantage from the ELVs so far has been that the ball has been in play a lot longer, teams seem to want to attack more; the game is less static as a result.

The disadvantage, aside from the officials who will take a while to get used to the new rulings naturally (not to mention the players), is that the sides' fitness levels will be hugely tested which may not necessarily be good for the standard of the rugby, especially late in the match.

Obviously early stages at the moment and its worth making a proper evaluation after a few rounds but they have seemingly made an impact, whether it be for the better of rugby or not I guess we'll find out.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
My God, the Hurricanes were terrible. Not a good advertisement for the ELVs, that's for sure.
The Hurricanes were absolute ****e and still would have been if the old laws were still in place. It's going to be a long season for their fans.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Bulls gunning for the Worst Ever Super 14 Defending Champs title, conceding 50-plus against the Crusaders.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus that's a smacking. See the Force turned the Cheetahs over in SA too, albeit in a rather closer game. Might be a long season for the yarps' teams.

Last edited: