Thread: New South African Rugby Coach named

Pinball Champion!

New South African Rugby Coach named

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...0937589C912442

And he's black..

What is sad is that even if he is up to standard, he's already got the token tag attatched to him, regardless.. I'd have chosen Heyneke Meyer, but there we go.. Best of luck to him in keeping us world champions.. Then again, transformation is so painfully slow in Rugby at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Who has he coached? Whats his record? Has he been a success at the top level?

Ie Does he have the experience and credability (sp?) to have earned the job on merit?

Ive never heard of the guy, but then I dont follow Union too closely so they are serious question
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Who has he coached? Whats his record? Has he been a success at the top level?

Ie Does he have the experience and credability (sp?) to have earned the job on merit?

Ive never heard of the guy, but then I dont follow Union too closely so they are serious question
    The SA U19's and SA U21's.. The Baby Boks went onto win their world cup in 2003.. Apparently he got through 10 votes to 9.. Heyneke Meyer has coached the Blue Bulls to Super 14 glory..

More worrying for me is the exodus of players to higher paid jobs in Europe, and the fact that the only way is down from here..

Disappointed Dick Muir wasn't even really considered but De Villiers is not a bad choice considering the excellent work he did with the under RSA squads.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    de Villiers is a very good coach, and so is Heyneke Meyer. I would've thought that coaching the Bulls to Super 14 victory would have given Meyer the edge, but apparantly they value the success de Villiers has had with age grade sides more.

What is worrying, as Langeveldt said, is that he's already been given the token tag. The report in The Southland Times was poor, with a supposed 'major colour barrier' being broken, yet they go on to say "de Villiers received a two-year contract by a SARU presidents council determined to make the Springboks more racially representative of the republic through government-sponsored transformation".
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

I also thought Meyer would get the job, considering what he's done with the Bulls and the regard most players and coaches hold him in. However, the powers that be seem to be determined to 'transform' South African rugby and de Villiers is their choice. That said, I hope he has success, he seems to have done a good job with the age grade sides.

What's bugging me more is this article about renewed talks about removing the Springbok emblem. No more shouting "Go Bokke!"? That's the whole point of watching rugby...

I think that moving 19s, 21s, Seniors is a good move, as knowing the young players can only be good, really.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Undecided really. I don't know enough about him as a coach to say how good (or otherwise) he is. I'm not sure that publicly acknowledging his tokenism is the best idea either; it may well be the case, but if things go tits up for the Boks (which, with the player drain to the NH, is possible) it's a obvious stick to beat him with.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I think that moving 19s, 21s, Seniors is a good move, as knowing the young players can only be good, really.
    But many many players from the Under 19's and Under 21's from a couple of years ago are going to be in the Springboks team? Not too many I'd hazard a guess at.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corli View Post
    I also thought Meyer would get the job, considering what he's done with the Bulls and the regard most players and coaches hold him in. However, the powers that be seem to be determined to 'transform' South African rugby and de Villiers is their choice. That said, I hope he has success, he seems to have done a good job with the age grade sides.

What's bugging me more is this article about renewed talks about removing the Springbok emblem. No more shouting "Go Bokke!"? That's the whole point of watching rugby...
    They can call it what they like, but they will always be the bokke to pretty much all of us..

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    But many many players from the Under 19's and Under 21's from a couple of years ago are going to be in the Springboks team? Not too many I'd hazard a guess at.
    Quite a few tbh... Francois Steyn, Chilliboy Ralepelle, Bradley Barritt, Keegan Daniel, Waylon Murray, Pierre Spies, Ruan Pienaar, Marius Delport, Hilton Lobberts, Wynand Olivier, Morne Steyn (and the list can go on), are all players who have worked successfully under de Villiers and should expect to be playing for the Springboks in the not to distant future.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 22-01-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corli View Post

Mbeki has said that will not happen on his watch. The only name change in South African sport which is likely to occur is the changing of the Bafana Bafana to something which the ANC find more palatable. They have always considered alternating the Springboks name ever since 94 but its name has always proved to be economically far too successful to drop, regardless of its connotations.

Thread Information