• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New South African Rugby Coach named

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Who has he coached? Whats his record? Has he been a success at the top level?

Ie Does he have the experience and credability (sp?) to have earned the job on merit?

Ive never heard of the guy, but then I dont follow Union too closely so they are serious question

Langeveldt

Soutie
Who has he coached? Whats his record? Has he been a success at the top level?

Ie Does he have the experience and credability (sp?) to have earned the job on merit?

Ive never heard of the guy, but then I dont follow Union too closely so they are serious question
The SA U19's and SA U21's.. The Baby Boks went onto win their world cup in 2003.. Apparently he got through 10 votes to 9.. Heyneke Meyer has coached the Blue Bulls to Super 14 glory..

More worrying for me is the exodus of players to higher paid jobs in Europe, and the fact that the only way is down from here..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointed Dick Muir wasn't even really considered but De Villiers is not a bad choice considering the excellent work he did with the under RSA squads.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
de Villiers is a very good coach, and so is Heyneke Meyer. I would've thought that coaching the Bulls to Super 14 victory would have given Meyer the edge, but apparantly they value the success de Villiers has had with age grade sides more.

What is worrying, as Langeveldt said, is that he's already been given the token tag. The report in The Southland Times was poor, with a supposed 'major colour barrier' being broken, yet they go on to say "de Villiers received a two-year contract by a SARU presidents council determined to make the Springboks more racially representative of the republic through government-sponsored transformation".

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I also thought Meyer would get the job, considering what he's done with the Bulls and the regard most players and coaches hold him in. However, the powers that be seem to be determined to 'transform' South African rugby and de Villiers is their choice. That said, I hope he has success, he seems to have done a good job with the age grade sides.

What's bugging me more is this article about renewed talks about removing the Springbok emblem. No more shouting "Go Bokke!"? That's the whole point of watching rugby...

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think that moving 19s, 21s, Seniors is a good move, as knowing the young players can only be good, really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Undecided really. I don't know enough about him as a coach to say how good (or otherwise) he is. I'm not sure that publicly acknowledging his tokenism is the best idea either; it may well be the case, but if things go **** up for the Boks (which, with the player drain to the NH, is possible) it's a obvious stick to beat him with.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that moving 19s, 21s, Seniors is a good move, as knowing the young players can only be good, really.
But many many players from the Under 19's and Under 21's from a couple of years ago are going to be in the Springboks team? Not too many I'd hazard a guess at.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I also thought Meyer would get the job, considering what he's done with the Bulls and the regard most players and coaches hold him in. However, the powers that be seem to be determined to 'transform' South African rugby and de Villiers is their choice. That said, I hope he has success, he seems to have done a good job with the age grade sides.

What's bugging me more is this article about renewed talks about removing the Springbok emblem. No more shouting "Go Bokke!"? That's the whole point of watching rugby...
They can call it what they like, but they will always be the bokke to pretty much all of us..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
But many many players from the Under 19's and Under 21's from a couple of years ago are going to be in the Springboks team? Not too many I'd hazard a guess at.
Quite a few tbh... Francois Steyn, Chilliboy Ralepelle, Bradley Barritt, Keegan Daniel, Waylon Murray, Pierre Spies, Ruan Pienaar, Marius Delport, Hilton Lobberts, Wynand Olivier, Morne Steyn (and the list can go on), are all players who have worked successfully under de Villiers and should expect to be playing for the Springboks in the not to distant future.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Mbeki has said that will not happen on his watch. The only name change in South African sport which is likely to occur is the changing of the Bafana Bafana to something which the ANC find more palatable. They have always considered alternating the Springboks name ever since 94 but its name has always proved to be economically far too successful to drop, regardless of its connotations.