• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Socceroos

Lach

School Boy/Girl Captain
Poor old socceroos :( its a mighty shame about their loss. Although they didnt exactly deserve to win against Uruguay, but still. I personally think they should have held the matches in a neutral country because there was no way they were going to win in an atmosphere of hate like they were in. It's all quite silly i think. What do the rest of you think?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Unfortunately that's the benefit of home advantage - FIFA want 2 games to maximize revenue, as Football is all about money now. If we're not careful that's where Cricket will head.

Michael

Cricket Spectator
They have to do something about the qualifying system because soccer is broken up into about 6 groups and the best from each group always qualifys. Australia has always been the best in the Oceania group they beet everyone yet they still have to play a loser from another group it is not fair!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think they can give Oceania a guaranteed space as it would always be a no contest. Lets face it, if the Aussies can't beat the 5th best South American team, they don't really deserve to be there.

Michael

Cricket Spectator
South America has the majority of top soccer teams, just look at the ones who didn't make it this year Columbia, Bolivia and Chile all former World Cup Qualifiers.

Michael

Cricket Spectator
Most of the groups have 2 good teams and 2 crap teams, with the exception of Englands group. My predictions for the teams to go through are:
France
Denmark
Spain
Paraguay
Brazil
Turkey
Portugal
South Korea
Germany
Cameroon
Argentina
England
Italy
Croatia
Belgium
Tunisia

My tip to win the cup is Cameroon, an outsider but a very talented side.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Uraguay are a good side, though.

Brazil have gone off the boil a bit since the last World Cup, don't you agree?

My tip again is France, it would have been Holland, but seeing as they aren't in it....

steds

Hall of Fame Member
**** off, Henry. If you're going to dig, dig something useful up and post something useful in it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well as it happens the socceroos arent doing badly at the moment, with any luck they will qualify for the next WC and i hope they do, not a bad set of players at their disposal at the moment, kewel refusing to play qualifiers and games outside europe is a bit of a blow but hes not been at his best for a while now, be intrested to hear some aussie point if views.

P.S. steds please dont be so vulgar, i saw the thread as fit to bring up, so i did,

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
P.S. steds please dont be so vulgar, i saw the thread as fit to bring up, so i did,
With the wholesome, clever, wise and oh so funny post "socceroos :)"

...Such a waste of a post

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
kewel refusing to play qualifiers and games outside europe is a bit of a blow
Really? :-O

He's crap anyway. That's why Paul Jewell signed Josip Skoko instead

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
says sean in thread about socceroos ;)

anyway, marco bresciano is obviously key to australias hopes if you ask me, hes a very influential, talented, and underated player if you ask me, brett emerton is another who is rather handy, suprised he didnt move to a bigger club when he moved to england as apparently man utd and arsenal were both intrested along with newcastle.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a point of order, shouldn't the "Socceroos" now be the "Footballroos"? The Australian Soccer Association changed its name to Football Federation Australia earlier this year.

Aren't they losing to U-r-gay again in the play-offs?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
sledger said:
i thought they were doing ok....perhaps misinformed...
Well they're proved they're the best Football team in Oceania (again), which is on a par with being the best downhill skier in Saudi Arabia.

FWIW I hope they qualify tho.

Cloete

International Captain
We just smashed the Solomons 7-0 and 2-1 in the away leg. Where Guus was absolutely fuming after a poor showing in the away leg.

Then we beat Jamaica 5-0 at Craven Cottage in a pretty good showing.

We'll either have Chile, Colombia or Uruguay in the play-offs. If Uruguay win today (in about 2 hours the match starts) then we have then. As they are one point ahead of Colombia and Chile, but Uruguay are playing Argentina.

As for Kewell not playing qualifiers and stuff, that's not true at all. He hasn't said that anywhere, he was actually going to play the friendly against Jamaica as a substitute but Guus pulled him out late as he didn't think it was worth risking him.

We have some pretty good footballers though. Our combination of Viduka up front then Thompson (Melbourne Victory, used to paly for Liege but he's clearly good enough to be playing in any league in the world) and Culina (Guus recently signed him for PSV from Twente, originally an Ajax yotuh player, but it shows how mcuh he rates him) is working a charm. Then we have a very strong midfield as always being made up by Emerton, Bresciano, Skoko, Cahill, Chipperfield, Elreich, Kewell, Wilkshire and Grella. Our defence has been our problem but Guus has really sured it up, despite us playing a 3-4-3. Agaisnt Jamaica (Okay, the standard of opposition wasn't great, but they are ranked higher than us and we did play awesome against them) we won the ball back basically as soon as we lost it.

Anyway, I just hope we don't lose ANOTHER damn play-off!! Although, it will be our last!