• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afl 100 Nrl 101

archie mac

International Coach
Who is correct AFL celebrated their 100 years in 1996 the comp started in 1897

But I see the NRL is celebrating 1908-2008

Which is correct?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, the NRL has got the "100 years" right, but maybe the AFL was celebrating their 100th season instead? Were there breaks for the ways in Oz sport?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I still remember that old bloke singing that song during the 1997 AFL season

"... and I thank you... for one huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuundred years"

Good times :cry:

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, the NRL has got the "100 years" right, but maybe the AFL was celebrating their 100th season instead? Were there breaks for the ways in Oz sport?
There were no breaks but a lot of teams in the Australian Rules football had breaks.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who is correct AFL celebrated their 100 years in 1996 the comp started in 1897

But I see the NRL is celebrating 1908-2008

Which is correct?
The AFL - 1897 was year 1, not year 0. Whereas 2008 is actually year 101 for NRL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The AFL - 1897 was year 1, not year 0. Whereas 2008 is actually year 101 for NRL.
Nah. 1996 was 100th AFL/VFL season, but they didn't complete 100 years of actually playing until 1997. It depends what they were celebrating. So if the NRL are celebrating the latter they're correct.