• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Sporting Moment Of 2007

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
(I'm bored)

We have already had album and song of the year thread...but after all this is a sports forum so now its time for Sports Moment Of 2007.

So what did it for you?

Australia Cricket World Cup Win?
India T20 World Cup Win?
South Africa RWC Win?
Frankie Dettori finally winning the derby?

or even underdog stories such as

Ireland at the Cricket World Cup?
Argentina & England at the RWC?

Nominate your moments and we can put it to a ballot to decide CW's Sport Moment of 2007

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ireland beating Pakistan in the world cup was a big moment, no doubt. The highlight of a fairly mediocre tournament.

It's been pretty slim pickings this year for an English sports fan, but our wins over Australia and France in the quarter and semi-finals of the union WC must be up there. Great Britain's first test series win over New Zealand in 14 years in the league too.

Less parochially Barry Bonds beating the Major League baseball home-run record and Scotland winning in France during the qualifying for Euro 2008 are also worthy of mention.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
An entirely personal list.

1st: 12:49.88, Sven Kramer, Heerenveen, 11 February 2007. Was nearly asleep in the sofa with fever watching this bloke setting a world record on lowland ice. Phenomenal.
2nd: Bodø/Glimt 3-2 Odd Grenland. Promotion to the Premier League after two years in the wilderness, despite a horrible autumn with only limelight Hamoud's ultimately fruitless bicycle kick vs Molde. Then winter comes and we win a play-off pretty much everyone thought we'd lose.
3rd: Petter Northug makes mincemeat of the others in the world ski championships relay to win gold for Norway (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pVAuBJX0nAA)
4th: Norway 2-2 Greece, Ullevaal. Poor result, but a fantastic game of football. Riise & Gamst combining for a stunning goal. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaL9YSXtbY)
5th: Ireland beating Pakistan
6th: Sven Kramer, 6:03.32, Calgary, November 2007 - the bloke's just been beaten for the first time in ages and comes back to lower the WR by 3.5 seconds. Fair play. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ne-764aZY. Seven-minute long video, mind.)
7th: Basketball player Donald Thomas wins the world high jump gold in Osaka. Victory of a natural talent. (Mind, if he works on his technique, he'll leap 2.43 soon.)
8th: Ole Einar Bjørndalen winning two golds at the world biathlon championships, taking his tally to nine.
9th: Tyson Gay at the world athletics champs. Three golds.
10th:Norway 21-20 Russia, women's world handball championship group stage. The game I forgot to watch, turned on the radio, Norway had turned 7-9 to 16-10. Nearly choked but kept their nerve at the end. Of course, the Russians were too good in the final.

No England cricket because they really were that bad.

mikeW

Essendon's comeback win vs WC the week after the 1 pt win vs Sydney and Big Scotty Lucas kicking 7 goals in Hird's last game whilst being tripped and robbed of an 8th and the match winning goal.

Craig

World Traveller
A Norwegian following AFL? :blink:

Anyway some more, Cadel Evans finishing second in the Tour de France, and he is a clean skin as well.

Ireland beating Pakistan in the world cup was a big moment, no doubt. The highlight of a fairly mediocre tournament.

It's been pretty slim pickings this year for an English sports fan, but our wins over Australia and France in the quarter and semi-finals of the union WC must be up there. Great Britain's first test series win over New Zealand in 14 years in the league too.

Less parochially Barry Bonds beating the Major League baseball home-run record and Scotland winning in France during the qualifying for Euro 2008 are also worthy of mention.
Come on, the guy has about as much credibility as John Bracewell when speaking to the media. I mean he has been investigated in the BALCO scandal since 2003, he lied when under oath about his alleged use of steriods.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England vs Australia and France vs Australia have to be up there for mine, along with France-Scotland and Scotland-France. (One of those might've been in 06, mind).

And Romania qualifying for Euro 2008 with no home nations qualifying lets me be a bit of a **** :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
From my personal point of view there really isn't one...from a neutral view, Australia winning the Cricket World Cup (again).

From an anti-England view, two words, Euro 2008. :p

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
USA Grand Prix, the Alonso attempt on Hamilton at the bottom of the straight. Was pretty much the point where Hamilton irked Alonso to the point where he self-destructed for the rest of the season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Come on, the guy has about as much credibility as John Bracewell when speaking to the media. I mean he has been investigated in the BALCO scandal since 2003, he lied when under oath about his alleged use of steriods.
Not saying I approve of how he's (allegedly) done it, but breaking one of the big marks in team sport is still a fair effort.

& Speaking of, er, controversial sportsman breaking big records: Murali's 709th test wicket.

headhunter

Some of mine

1.Ireland Vs England in Croke Park
2.Kerry All-Ireland Football Champions 2007
3.Man United Premiership Champions
4.Ireland Victories over Bangladesh and Pakistan
5.Ruby Walsh and Kauto Star Cheltenham Gold Cup Victory
6.Raymond Van Barneveld v Phil Taylor 2007 PDC Final
7.Silver Birch Grand National Win