• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In their prime...

cover drive man

International Captain
Who would win in these matches.

1)Mohamed Ali Vs Mike Tyson

2)Jack Nicklaus Vs Tiger woods

3)Steve Davis Vs Steven Hendry

4)Steve Davis Vs Jimmy White

5)Steven Hendry Vs Jimmy White

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Tyson aged 20-22 would've taken Ali apart IMHO. Ali struggled with awkward fighters like Norton & Frazier and Iron Mike had a bigger dig than either. In his prime Tyson was an absolute force of nature, crouched, short (for a heavyweight) and with that massive neck of his he rode punches so well. Fought on the front foot and wasn't a slow brawler like many of pugs who Ali was fed after he beat (possibly with the aid of fixers) Liston.

Don't care enough about any of the others to have an opinion.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Ali
Hard to compare these Woods and Nicklaus due to the advances in equipment.
Davis
Davis
Hendry

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
The Tyson aged 20-22 would've taken Ali apart IMHO. Ali struggled with awkward fighters like Norton & Frazier and Iron Mike had a bigger dig than either. In his prime Tyson was an absolute force of nature, crouched, short (for a heavyweight) and with that massive neck of his he rode punches so well. Fought on the front foot and wasn't a slow brawler like many of pugs who Ali was fed after he beat (possibly with the aid of fixers) Liston.

Don't care enough about any of the others to have an opinion.
...and just who did tyson beat during his 86-88 run? holmes on the verge of his free bus pass? michael spinks who'd given up before he got to the ring?

ali being fed pugs? ali has the greatest HW resume of all time. it's not even up for debate.

ali was also shot to pieces by the time he fought norton.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
...and just who did tyson beat during his 86-88 run? holmes on the verge of his free bus pass? michael spinks who'd given up before he got to the ring?

ali being fed pugs? ali has the greatest HW resume of all time. it's not even up for debate.

ali was also shot to pieces by the time he fought norton.
Spinks was unbeaten when he fought Tyson; hardly Iron Mike's fault he'd swallowed it completely before he climbed into the ring. That was Tyson's aura.

Tyson fought and beat everyone out there: Berbick, Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, Pinklon (sp?) Thomas & even dear old Frank.

I considered Ali's prime before his ban; he fought Patterson (really a cruiserweight by today's standards) but none of the other names exactly trip off the tongue. He was flattened by dear old 'Enry before he ever won the title too and might've lost had Dundee not deliberately split his glove to give him longer to recover.

He fought everyone after he came back, true, but he lost to Frazier & Norton. And no, he wasn't a shot fighter by then unless you also consider the Ali who beat Foreman shot, as Norton's win was prior to the Rumble in the Jungle. Ali's last three defeats (Leon Spinks, Holmes & Berbick) were when he was gone.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Spinks was unbeaten when he fought Tyson; hardly Iron Mike's fault he'd swallowed it completely before he climbed into the ring. That was Tyson's aura.

Tyson fought and beat everyone out there: Berbick, Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, Pinklon (sp?) Thomas & even dear old Frank.

I considered Ali's prime before his ban; he fought Patterson (really a cruiserweight by today's standards) but none of the other names exactly trip off the tongue. He was flattened by dear old 'Enry before he ever won the title too and might've lost had Dundee not deliberately split his glove to give him longer to recover.

He fought everyone after he came back, true, but he lost to Frazier & Norton. And no, he wasn't a shot fighter by then unless you also consider the Ali who beat Foreman shot, as Norton's win was prior to the Rumble in the Jungle. Ali's last three defeats (Leon Spinks, Holmes & Berbick) were when he was gone.

ali by the time he fought foreman compaed to his prime was pretty shot, but foreman fought one of the most stupid fights of all time, in that heat just throwing punches like there was no tomorrow and telegraphing all of them was moronic, ali despite his skills and speed being on the slide still had unreal will power and a granite chin. frazier was gone after his unreal effort in the first ali fight then the brutal 2 round hammering at the hands of big george.

LOLz, you don't really believe all that garbage about ali getting an extra minutes rest against cooper do you?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
So Dundee did split the glove and it did buy his fighter extra time then? :huh: Even five seconds longer could've made all the difference.

The point I'm making tho is if Ali/Clay could get himself tagged by the game, but small and limited 'Enry, Tyson would've murdered him.

yes 5 seconds, not minutes, the minutes part is the entire myth, that's the point i was making.

common brumby, that arguement is weak and easily countered, if buster could whip tyson into the middle of next week then so could ali etc.

i really get angered by the whole ali persona sometimes and the way moronic people on the street consider him the greatest boxer of all time. but head2head he is the greatest HW of all time, no question. the most difficult of all time to beat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
common brumby, that arguement is weak and easily countered, if buster could whip tyson into the middle of next week then so could ali etc.
Fair enough. I was quite careful to say the Tyson aged 20-22 tho, which was his prime for me. He'd clearly taken his eye off the ball by the time he fought Douglas.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Fair enough. I was quite careful to say the Tyson aged 20-22 tho, which was his prime for me. He'd clearly taken his eye off the ball by the time he fought Douglas.
that's fair enough. but i don't buy this rubbish that buster was a supreme talent who normally couldn't be bothered.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im prepared to get laughed at here but I dont mind.

Lewis with his size and ability to jab all day would have beaten Tyson or Ali.

All 3 have dubious losses on their records but Lewis would have too much for either

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Im prepared to get laughed at here but I dont mind.

Lewis with his size and ability to jab all day would have beaten Tyson or Ali.

All 3 have dubious losses on their records but Lewis would have too much for either
why would we laugh?

lewis at his best could box your ears off or blast you out. H2H he's a top 3 of all time.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ali

Nicklaus, would be a classic match-up though, both revolutionized the sport, Woods needs to win coming from behind to be as good as the Golden Bear, but he's probably got 15 years or so to do that, I'm guessing he will. Jack intimidated as much as woods, he always said winning majors was easier then normal tournaments, because people crumbled around him.

Joe Davis ftw against all of them tbh, the Bradman of snooker