• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the better manager for England?

Who was the better manager for England?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd be interested to see someone make a case for McClaren, actually.

Worst English manager since Don Revie: fact.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'd be interested to see someone make a case for McClaren, actually.

Worst English manager since Don Revie: fact.
I thought McClown was statistically the worst England manager ever. Someone told me he had the highest percentage of games lost out of anyone. Says it all really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sven got us to three QFs and had us qualify for torunaments ahead of Germany (and he came in with us in a mess), Turkey, admittedly the teamsd in our WC06 group were easy, but still, we qualified comfortably. McClaren couldn't get us past a Russia team that really isn't very good; we had blips like the Macedonioa draw under Sven but we always made up for them, we didn't win any of our three difficult away games under McClaren. Nice guy, but seriously, I could have got us out of that group, and I'd have pciked Tranmere players.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Sven got us to three QFs and had us qualify for torunaments ahead of Germany (and he came in with us in a mess), Turkey, admittedly the teamsd in our WC06 group were easy, but still, we qualified comfortably. McClaren couldn't get us past a Russia team that really isn't very good; we had blips like the Macedonioa draw under Sven but we always made up for them, we didn't win any of our three difficult away games under McClaren. Nice guy, but seriously, I could have got us out of that group, and I'd have pciked Tranmere players.
:laugh:

So would I...

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
*Wakes up to find that Tranmere football club does in fact have players...who play football*

"ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111ONE!!!"

Olwe

School Boy/Girl Captain
the problem with McLaren is he was to nice to the players!

and no what do people think after sven was compltlley critised duing his reighn of england manger, and now people are praisng him!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought McClown was statistically the worst England manager ever. Someone told me he had the highest percentage of games lost out of anyone. Says it all really.
Could be, tbf. I hedged my bets tho, 'cos Revie failed to get us to the 1976 Euro championships and the 1978 WC, then promptly ****ed off the the UAE for more wedge with the qualification for the latter still (nominally) in the balance.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wiki claims Kevin Keegan was in terms of win percentage at 38.9%, Mclaren was at exactly 50% whilst Don Revie was 48.3%.
Graham Taylor, 47.4% and Terry Venables 47.8% were also worse.

Venables only lost one game in 23 attempts though and that was against Brazil anyway.

Sven was at a rosy 59.7%, with only Hoddle and Ramsey beating him (60.7 and 61.1 respectively).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
That'd make for an interesting pub quiz question - which England manager has the second highest ever winning percentage? No way would I have thought it was Hoddle.