• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has had the best sporting history

Which countries sporting history is the best.

• France

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japan

• New zealand

• Italy

• France

• China

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brazil, Germany, USSR....?

It depends on how one defines "best" really. If one takes "best" to mean "most successful in international competiton" I'd say Australia must be there or thereabouts.

Generally had the best test cricket team since the concept was divised, have been the best Rugby League team since the 50s, only country to have won two union world cups (until later tonight), good field hockey team, decent basketball side, improving association football team & still have time for their own football code that never made it outside their borders, that Victorian oxymoron, Aussie Rules.

Yanks have a case in individual sports, but prefer their team sports to be civil wars. Obviously basketball and ice hockey are played worldwide, but generally the international game plays second fiddle to the domestic major leagues.

If, however, one takes "best" to mean "most significant", it's obviously the People's Republic of Brit. We codified association football, both Rugby codes & cricket and then cunningly acquired an empire to spread the good word in.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If, however, one takes "best" to mean "most significant", it's obviously the People's Republic of Brit. We codified association football, both Rugby codes & cricket and then cunningly acquired an empire to spread the good word in.
The Yanks also nicked baseball and claimed it as their own.

And yeah, Australia IMO.

cpr

International Coach
And Basketball was created by a Canadian.

Leaving them with just American Football to call their own

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England, the best sports originated here. Simple really. Question is a bit too open for mine, though.

Craig

World Traveller
Brazil, Germany, USSR....?

It depends on how one defines "best" really. If one takes "best" to mean "most successful in international competiton" I'd say Australia must be there or thereabouts.

Generally had the best test cricket team since the concept was divised, have been the best Rugby League team since the 50s, only country to have won two union world cups (until later tonight), good field hockey team, decent basketball side, improving association football team & still have time for their own football code that never made it outside their borders, that Victorian oxymoron, Aussie Rules.

Yanks have a case in individual sports, but prefer their team sports to be civil wars. Obviously basketball and ice hockey are played worldwide, but generally the international game plays second fiddle to the domestic major leagues.

Probably not the smartest idea to have aquired Australia then?

archie mac

International Coach
Because they started so many sports I went for the Poms

I thought Greece should have been one of the choices:)

The_Bunny

State Regular
England has had the most influence in sport by a mile.
Russia not to far off, though not enough sucess in the major International team sports rules the out for mine.

If Australia can crack into into Football (may take a while but we will manage it :p) then they would have a pretty convincing argument.

Also should we include motorsports in this?

Last edited:

David

International 12th Man
In terms of team games success, Australia, certainly in my experience.

As far as influence/creating sport definitely England for mine.

As far as individual sports go, well, I like the Tennis, but follow most others only once every 2 years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As already mentioned there are a number of big names left off. Including little Finland which I believe has the most Olympic medals per capita.

Anyway, America due to its size and institutions can have a conveyer belt producing athletic talent and dominates track and field.

Australia takes a small population and still manages to be competetive (if not dominant) in virtually every sport. Even if it isnt their National sport.

UK, historically produced great sports people accross a wide range of sports and has been the origin of many of the worlds global sports.

Easy answer though, Australia. It should be impossible for a country this small to dominate sports the way they do.

EDIT- Having watched Beyond Tomorrow last night, I nearly knocked a point off for Aus due to the lack of progression by the once "Worlds Fastest Teenager"

A note on Aus sport and its history. Is there another major Nation that has a sportsperson as its most famous and prominent citizen?

Last edited: