• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has had the best sporting history

Which countries sporting history is the best.

• France

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japan

• New zealand

• Italy

• France

• China

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Pele/Brazil? (probably somebody reallt obvious that I've forgotten)
Was thinking the same thing - he'd be thereabouts for sure. Though the likes of Oscar Niemeyer and Tiradentes would run him close.

For many of the younger generation in Argentina Diego Maradona would be very close too, though historically he pales next to Jose de San Martin.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
As already mentioned there are a number of big names left off. Including little Finland which I believe has the most Olympic medals per capita.

Anyway, America due to its size and institutions can have a conveyer belt producing athletic talent and dominates track and field.

Australia takes a small population and still manages to be competetive (if not dominant) in virtually every sport. Even if it isnt their National sport.

UK, historically produced great sports people accross a wide range of sports and has been the origin of many of the worlds global sports.

Easy answer though, Australia. It should be impossible for a country this small to dominate sports the way they do.

EDIT- Having watched Beyond Tomorrow last night, I nearly knocked a point off for Aus due to the lack of progression by the once "Worlds Fastest Teenager"

A note on Aus sport and its history. Is there another major Nation that has a sportsperson as its most famous and prominent citizen?
Isn't mountain climbing a sport?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because of their amazing ability to produce 14 year old girls that are good at gymnastics.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
How about Germany ? They are a football world power (which Australia are not) with 3 world cup titles to their credit.

Extremely strong in field hockey - they are the reigning world champions.

Solid in track and field and in Olympic swimming.

Have a sound track record of producing good tennis players.

Australia's up there but the only hole in their resume (and a fairly big hole) is that they are not a major footballing force (and football is the world game).

Bronte

Cricket Spectator
Russia for me......then england...becuse they gave us so many team games
You are certainly right there,just lookat the following Quote.

"Binge drinking and teenage pregnancies are the only games the English invented where they are still ranked No.1 in the world, and like some of the dregs who shouted "cheat" at Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq, some of us would be better off teetotal."
Mike Walters of the Mirror on a day out at Bristol 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'd like to think that SA have done exceptionally well, all things considered.. Let us not forget that the white population, for all intents and purposes, somewhere between 4-5 million has been the only group able, whether it be politically or financially, to compete on the world stage for most of our history. (Obviously through horrificly illegal design, but my point still stands) . Thats about the same amount of people as New Zealand, who are not quite so good at rugby...

Ironically, the majority sport, soccer, is the least succesful.. I'd like to see our cricket team in 10 years time if our "situation" is managed well..

But yeah, in terms of history, hard to look past the UK

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How about Germany ? They are a football world power (which Australia are not) with 3 world cup titles to their credit.

Extremely strong in field hockey - they are the reigning world champions.

Solid in track and field and in Olympic swimming.

Have a sound track record of producing good tennis players.

Australia's up there but the only hole in their resume (and a fairly big hole) is that they are not a major footballing force yet(and football is the world game).
Fixed. \_/

pasag

RTDAS
Should have done more montage training in the snow tbh. It's all good and proper to do it in a lab with computers and scientists, but it just doesn't compare to training in the Russian mountains.

Burgey

Have to go for my home country (though no surprises I suppose), mostly because of our per capita success compared with most other larger countries, especially at the Olympics.
I guess it helps having a great climate - lends itself to sports for most of the year (though not much chop for alpine stuff).

Burgey

Wow, you obviously meant 'Rugby' there, a game where if a tackle is actually made the commentators all have epileptic fits trying to describe it.
And TBF, the last tackle made in an international rugby match was about the time of your post.
The next one is due in around 2011.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great? he was roided to the max and killed apollo creed makes him an ass. clubber lang FTW
Look, killing Apollo Creed was an emotional moment, but do not deny the man's greatness.

Anyone who says "if he dies, he dies" is a cold hearted bitch, and I expect nothing else from a beast like Dolph Lundgren played.

On top of that, its only insinuated that he roided up. His mgt team deny it, and for all you know they were injecting 'charisma fluid', which had no effect :ph34r:

Plus, when Drago absolutely chucks a **** when that politician guy starts getting pissed off at him cos he's losing to Rocky, and he yells "I FIGHT FOR ME", it was a true expression of the pressure the man is under. Whilst Rocky was a true champion, he never felt the pressures that Ivan Drago faced. He never was forced into living in a science lab, never was told he was THE poster boy of his nation, and most importantly, never had the country's head of state watching him fight. I bet Drago never had a childhood, hell I bet he never had *** with his wife (possibly cos he'd break her in half during penetration)

Ivan Drago, lifeless on the outside, but inside, a cauldron of emotion. What a troubled life he lived. :(

Btw, he would smash Clubber Lang three ways under. All that would need to happen was he'd go to Creed (before he killed him), and Creed would teach him how to fight like a black fighter, and that would be it, like he did with Rocky.

Ivan Drago's strength + Creed's teaching would = destruction!

Mind you, Rocky 3 definitely > Rocky 4. But I love Dolph Lundgren, even though Mr T rocks as well.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, you obviously meant 'Rugby' there, a game where if a tackle is actually made the commentators all have epileptic fits trying to describe it.
Whereas in rugby league the players have an epileptic fit when they're tackled... (see Michael Hancock for an example).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, killing Apollo Creed was an emotional moment, but do not deny the man's greatness.

Anyone who says "if he dies, he dies" is a cold hearted bitch, and I expect nothing else from a beast like Dolph Lundgren played.

On top of that, its only insinuated that he roided up. His mgt team deny it, and for all you know they were injecting 'charisma fluid', which had no effect :ph34r:

Plus, when Drago absolutely chucks a **** when that politician guy starts getting pissed off at him cos he's losing to Rocky, and he yells "I FIGHT FOR ME", it was a true expression of the pressure the man is under. Whilst Rocky was a true champion, he never felt the pressures that Ivan Drago faced. He never was forced into living in a science lab, never was told he was THE poster boy of his nation, and most importantly, never had the country's head of state watching him fight. I bet Drago never had a childhood, hell I bet he never had *** with his wife (possibly cos he'd break her in half during penetration)

Ivan Drago, lifeless on the outside, but inside, a cauldron of emotion. What a troubled life he lived. :(

Btw, he would smash Clubber Lang three ways under. All that would need to happen was he'd go to Creed (before he killed him), and Creed would teach him how to fight like a black fighter, and that would be it, like he did with Rocky.

Ivan Drago's strength + Creed's teaching would = destruction!

Mind you, Rocky 3 definitely > Rocky 4. But I love Dolph Lundgren, even though Mr T rocks as well.
:blink: these early mornings getting to you Jono?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be honest, studying four law subjects in a semester (first time I've had to do it, normally with a Law/Commerce degree I've enjoyed the 'easing off' with Commerce subjects) has pretty much driven me crazy.

So much so that for my exam on Friday I am considering writing an essay on Ivan Drago's life being an expression of life as a Russian sportsman in the 80s, basically being used as propaganda. It seems more interesting that Australian Constitutional Law. Those were my basic arguments, I have many more arguments up my sleeve though. :ph34r: