View Poll Results: Has England's success rendered their mediocrity of the last four years as acceptable?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 25.00%
  • No

12 75.00%

Thread: A little question

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar

A little question

Right, I've argued this point for a while in the RWC 2007 forum so I thought I'd make a poll and see what people's opinions were. The current situation with the England rugby team is that after being very poor for four years, they have a chance to retain their title as World Champions. What I want to know, mainly from English supportors, is that if England do win the World Cup, will that have rendered their four years of mediocrity as acceptable? That is, does it not matter they've been very poor if they do happen to win this tournament?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    I'm a bit confused here, it sounds as if you're asking two different questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    What I want to know, mainly from English supportors, is that if England do win the World Cup, will that have rendered their four years of mediocrity as acceptable?
    No. Poor performances are never acceptable.

That is, does it not matter they've been very poor if they do happen to win this tournament?
    Not really, performances before the World Cup are irrelevent to the tournament itself.

Poor performances are never acceptable, but they are irrelevant if England win?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Voted yes.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Breakout Champion!
    It's a stand alone tournament. It has absolutely nothing to do with the previous 4 years, so the obvious answer is no.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Pretty much in agreement with stedly here. We've been **** for 4 years & it isn't acceptable. It's heart-warming in the extreme we've done as well as we have in the WC, but it doesn't cast any kind of rosy glow on the intervening years.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Poor performances are never acceptable, but they are irrelevant if England win?
    They would be irrelevent in regards to the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    They would be irrelevent in regards to the World Cup.
    So it would be okay if England lost every game between now and the 2011 World Cup by a margin of 20 points in every fixture, but then strung together 7 good games?

cpr
    How many RU fans care as much about the World Cup as apposed to the 6 Nations? Winning the world cup is fantastic, and it drums up such interest in the sport, but for those who follow the game in the other 3 years, poor 6 Nations results are simply not acceptable. If we win 4 world cups in a row, but not one 6 nations in that time, it'd be seen as a disaster.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Voted No,England have been worse that average over the last 4 years and for the real english rugby fans this WC run will be most pleasing for them but it does not make up for the last 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I'm still bitter about BBC2 showing the signing of the Good Friday Agreement instead of the Simpsons.
    Manager XpertEleven side: BEST Indies FC: Won Champions Cup 1 season 5
    Premiership Last Man Standing: headhunter 26/10-26/11/07 Agent TBY & headhunter (tied) 08/08-25/08/08
    CW Blue - We are the Blues, we never lose.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    No, but I don't think you are quite making the point you want to, perm.

If our performances in the intervening years had been better, then maybe we would have won this WC? I am speaking hypothetically, and not actually suggesting we would have, but the medicority since our home defeat to ireland in 04 has meant we have found our preferred XV during the tournament, which is never ideal, and some of the results and performances in that time have been downright embarassing.

Having said that, given the choice of crushing all comers in 04, 05 and 06, and then finishing nowhere in the WC as opposed to being **** in said years, then making the final, it's not even a remotely difficult choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

It's the wrong question, tbh (says he helpfully). Clearly our record over the last 4 years had nothing whatsoever to do with focusing on the 2007 WC, and much of what we have seen has been unforgiveably poor. However, there are reasons for that, and not many of them have anything to do with the current coach, who inherited an absolute mess from his predecessor. The key question is how relevant with the 2007 WC be if they return to how they were performing beforehand. The answer of course, would be completely irrelevant. And that could happen, as several players from the recent squad won't be around for the six nations.

Thread Information