• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you remember?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
The other day i was chatting to a mate about interesting things which have happened in World Cup football. Such as Maradonna's (sp?) 'hand of god'.

I got on to recalling something which happened i think at France '98. What i remember is an important (Quarter/Semi) match between France and Argentina. I know that isn't right because France and Argentina never met at '98. The actual event i remember is an Argentina being subbed, then refusing to go off, then eventually being red-carded (I think so. Might be wrong).

Can you remember what happened and which match it was? Also can you find a link?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ariel Oretga was sent off for headbutting Edwin Van der Saar in the 1998 QF and refused to go for a while IIRC. Van Der Saar made a three-course meal of the faintest of touches. Only incident I can think of that's vaguely close.

Holland failed to make 2002 & yer Argies went out in the group stages (:cool:), so if it isn't that I'm stumped.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
what a player. In my all-time XI he'd have to keep one of Aldo and Greenacre on the bench. Unless I play three up front :unsure:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best sending off ever... Euro '96... A portuguese player comes off the bench, is on the pitch for about 2 minutes and is then sent off for what appears to be nothing.

Apparently, he insulted the Spanish referee's mother in Portuguese... The ref understood Portuguese and sent him off. Good times.