• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest wrestler?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
nobody who discusses it seriously thinks its real andy....we're all aware that its fake.....

but so is most of the stuff you see on TV or at the circus etc....

certainly its a guilty pleasure so to speak...and despite it being fake...

well i dunno, i think you have to be a real fan to understand it.... maybe its just me...

anyway...best wrestler Eddie Guerrero.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sticking by this tbh.
You know movies aren't real. Wrestling fans know wrestling matches are pre-decided. There is a lot to wrestling though which is why people discuss it. For instance, how much crowd reaction you can garner is important. Suppose there is a face (good guy) v heel (bad guy) match up... the person in control of the card (match line ups) will see which person was able to draw the crowd to cheer or jeer according to his role. Them a wrestler will be promoted to better shows and better events.

There are also style matches for example. Which kind of matches are the best? If you put a brawler (some one like Big Show) versus Angle (a technical wrestler), it might turn out to be a mismatch. So you want to have similar style wrestlers more often than not. Great wrestlers might be able to cross the boundaries of style bringing out great match ups even versus different kinds of wrestlers.

A story line over shows and even during a match is very important as well. A good story line is like good marketing selling the product that is the match up in PPVs a lot of times. However, it might still be wasted if the match isn't good (as in crowd heat wasn't generated, the wrestlers didn't gell well).

Crapping wrestling because it is fake is like crapping cricket the way my brother does it 'it is just hitting the ball with the bat again and again for five days'.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Really hard to name just one but Ric Flair would be marginally better than HBK, Angle and Bret Hart.
Ric Flair is an old washed up has been. woooooooo

Anyway, for me, it'll always be Stone Cold Steve Austin and thats the bottomline

Fusion

Global Moderator
In terms of popularizing the sport and bringing it into the mainstream, it has to be Hulk Hogan.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Forgive me, but how can a 'sport' that is predetermined have 'best players'?
It isn't a sport. It is sports entertaiment which would be a form of entertainment and not sport.

The best wrestlers are the ones who can carry matches, draw crowds, sell a good story and all. Feel free to ask more...

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Well there are great entertainers like The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

And great technical wrestlers like Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero (RIP) and Kurt Angle(:laugh: TNA).

Matt79

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
Forgive me, but how can a 'sport' that is predetermined have 'best players'?
That's a bit of an ignorant attitude - are you saying that you think all actors are equally good? Think of these guys as actors in the action/martial arts genre, except all their stuff is done live rather than filmed. And doing a lot of what they do is actually very bloody hard to do - ignore the fake punches etc (although doing them even to the fairly unconvincing level you see isn't as easy as it looks), a lot of the cooperative lifts and flips etc are very taxing, and as for the jumping and landing on top of someone, that hurts, whether its genuine or set up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If we're deciding on influence on the industry, its Hogan for mine. Austin probably second. Flair, The Rock and Michaels and Hart all follow IMO.