• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFL Trade Week

Are you happy with your teams 2007 trades?

• Total voters

Josh

International Regular
So, with trade week done and dusted, what are your thoughts on your supported teams trades??

I support the Tigers. Jordan McMahon seems a little bit like one of them iffy players. If he gets it right, he'll be a gun; but if he doesn't, he'll be delisted in the next 2 years, and I hate that Richmond has a culture of recruiting such players. Morton - very happy. Where will he fit in that midfield, though?? Might be an idea to push Johnson/Polo into the backline and Tuck forward at times. Morton, Coughlan, Foley, Polo, Tuck, Connors, Tambling, Deledio. Potential to be a gun midfield for mine!

cameeel

International Captain
Happy that we got rid of Johnstone, but I can't see why Meesen is necessary at all, surely we'd have been better served chasing Mattner with Sydney, or any other reasonably skilled backman

pasag

RTDAS
Our biggest coup since Barrassi in 65...

Pretty good, pretty pretty good. (Not banking on anyone getting that reference tbh).

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I'd say we did pretty well. Wood wasn't going to get many games, we've got a fairly strong group of ruckmen, so he wasn't needed that much. Travis Johnstone will fit in nicely to the team. Only thing i'm dissapointed about is losing Hadley. Sounds like Brennan wants to stay, which is good.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Happy that we got rid of Johnstone, but I can't see why Meesen is necessary at all, surely we'd have been better served chasing Mattner with Sydney, or any other reasonably skilled backman
White's not getting younger, Jamar's a dud and Johnson looks as though he'll only ever be a handy second ruckman in the Seaby mould. Meesen's got wraps on him.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointed we lost Hadley, but if a player wants to go, there isn't much you can do i guess, especially if there are other teams interested. That aside, i reckon TJ will be a good addition to the side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So, with trade week done and dusted, what are your thoughts on your supported teams trades??
In the end, I think we did OK considering our position with regards to the salary cap. I think we did the right thing by Playfair and Gardiner, who were probably going to be cut and have ensured them a home. I wish we could keep King, but in the end for the future of the club, it's probably the right thing to do.
Josh said:
I support the Tigers. Jordan McMahon seems a little bit like one of them iffy players. If he gets it right, he'll be a gun; but if he doesn't, he'll be delisted in the next 2 years, and I hate that Richmond has a culture of recruiting such players.
At least McMahon has a place for him, rather than being another floating wingman/midfielder who sits in front of the ball, and a bit of pace off half back. There isn't a tremendous amount of that at the moment, you rely on Bowden and Newman for most of your rebound, and while they're both smart players, neither of them really break lines.
Morton - very happy. Where will he fit in that midfield, though??
Hehehehehe. We are talking about Richmond, aren't we? What you've got in Morton, I think will be a Buchanan type, who is part of the midfield rotation but he spends the majority of time on the wing or up forward. Supposed to have really good footskills, which is something the Tiges need to say the least.
Might be an idea to push Johnson/Polo into the backline and Tuck forward at times. Morton, Coughlan, Foley, Polo, Tuck, Connors, Tambling, Deledio. Potential to be a gun midfield for mine!
Mate, the best teams have 10 blokes they can run through the midfield, and you're talking about running out of spots already? The other thing is that in this midfield, at the moment the only blokes who actually spend the majority of their time on the ball, and are really what you'd term as "midfielders", are Coughlan, Foley and Tuck. Polo maybe, but he's going to end up being a hard working tagger.

Edwards, Connors, Morton are all more suited as flankers. Tambling is supposed to be best in traffic, but needs the motor and the bulk to play there, which will come. Deledio breaks lines, but it still looks as though he's best suited to this when he's not actually playing on the ball. The thing I like about the Tiges is their defence. You've got a couple of young blokes down back who'll be alright for you blokes in Thursfield and McGuane, and I still like the look of Moore if he keeps his spot.

Hoggy31

International Captain
AFL thread isn't actually a hive of activity atm, no need for this tbh. Sickens me, sickens me right to the core.

readie

State Regular
pretty happy with the recruitment of king and especially schenider will hopefully provide another option up forward

irfan

State Captain
Not really happy with the trades we've made.

Traded off Moran, who looked like he'd be a quality ruckman and brought in Davies (discarded by C'wood) and Sam Power (very poor version of his brother) who are both small midfield types. I was really hoping we get another tall to support both Thommo and Edwards but no we have to get rid off a decent tall.

Given the club's funds (or lack thereof) and facilities it would have been difficult to lure a big game player. But Judd if you get sick of collecting wooden spoons, you can always hop on board and come to Arden St!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Crows got shafted really. Draft picks we picked up aren't that high up, and losing Meesen and Hudson means our ruck will be a joke next season.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh and for Richmond...

Loving Morton. That'll be a great pick up, he'll mainly play on the forward flank and rotate through the midfield I reckon.

McMahon is a decent pickup, but I just hope this draft is as **** as most say because we gave a decently high pick for him. He's a soft one-trick pony, but his trick is exactly what Richmond need, a bit of class coming out of half-back. Great kick on the run, and I can see him hitting Richo and Browny on the chest a bit next season.

I can also see him getting games where he has 8 touches and 0 tackles, much like my character in the AFL CW sim lol.