View Poll Results: Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Blacks

19 52.78%
  • South Africa cricket team

13 36.11%
  • England cricket team

0 0%
  • England football team

1 2.78%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

3 8.33%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

After yesterday's limp display by the all blacks once again in a knockout, are they the biggest chokers in the history of sport?

Don't believe the English cricket or football team belong here, tbh.

To me "chokers" are people that blow it when they should win. The English team's are just poor IMHO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    How is it that the SAD English football team has lost every penalty shootout in living memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    How is it that the SAD English football team has lost every penalty shootout in living memory?
    Apart from Spain in '96 you mean.

Umm, I think it's because the other team have taking the penalties better, probably. If we'd been any good we would win the matches in open play, anyway.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Clearly the All-Blacks from the options there. Consistently lose to teams in world cups they should beat.

As grecian observes, our football team is merely above average-quite good on occasions & hasn't really choked as such. We just aren't good enough to consistently beat the best teams. We've generally gone out to teams we could have beaten, rather than ones we should have beaten. Generally on penalities...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The All Blacks easily. Aside from 1999, South Africa had no right to win any one day competition they subsequently or previously got knocked out of. Whilst the New Zealanders winning one World Cup since it's conception is scandalous.

And I take it the poll relates to South Africa as a one day entity? For they have won many a test match in a pressure situation, namely two last year.

Also I can't understand why England is featured in the poll.

Although, Spain could possibly be worth a shout.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 07-10-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    The All Blacks easily. Aside from 1999, South Africa had no right to win any one day competition they subsequently or previously got knocked out of. Whilst the New Zealanders winning one World Cup since it's conception is scandalous.

And I take it the poll relates to South Africa as a one day entity? For they have won many a test match in a pressure situation, namely two last year.

Also I can't understand why England is featured in the poll.

Although, Spain could possibly be worth a shout.
    Yeah, Spain would be the football team for me. Totally wasted years of talent, best League in the world, with mainly spanish nationals playing, in it. Yet embarrassing performances in championships in general.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I think the England Football Team do deserve to be there. They should have qualified for USA '94 - but choked in the qualifying. I think they choked in the qualifying for one of the Euro tournaments too (Euro '92?) and they definately choked in the Euro '96 semi - and you could argue the same for Italia '90.

Probably the teams of more recent vintage did as well as they deserved, but there's no way that an England team shouldn't qualify for the World Cup.

They could well choke in qualifying for the latest Euro encarnation. Not too sure.

How's about Bayern Munich's team who contrived to lose to Man Utd in the European Cup final - conceding two goals in injury time?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Difference in choking and having crap managers for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Chicago Cubs.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I think the England Football Team do deserve to be there. They should have qualified for USA '94 - but choked in the qualifying. I think they choked in the qualifying for one of the Euro tournaments too (Euro '92?) and they definately choked in the Euro '96 semi - and you could argue the same for Italia '90.

Probably the teams of more recent vintage did as well as they deserved, but there's no way that an England team shouldn't qualify for the World Cup.

They could well choke in qualifying for the latest Euro encarnation. Not too sure.

How's about Bayern Munich's team who contrived to lose to Man Utd in the European Cup final - conceding two goals in injury time?
    Your going back to '94. for the last non-qualification, that's an awful long time ago. We did qualify in '92, rather wish we hadn't, tbh. Holland haven't qualified for a number of Euros and WCs, and they've many better players then us.

As hinted above, I think any team with Graham Taylor managing, did incredibly well to win any games at all. Still can't believe Waddle was discarded, whilst the likes of Sinton, Thomas, Palmer, Dorigo, (oh I could go on and on, tbh) played.

Particularly enjoyed him taking off our top-scoring striker of all time, when we desperately needed a goal in '92.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post

We have choked on the odd occasion; in qualifying for the '94 WC we were 2-0 ahead of the Dutch & drew 2-2 and were one up versus Norway and were again pegged back, but I wouldn't call Italia 90 a choke. The fact is we hadn't played anyone of note until we came up against Jerry in the semis. We'd beaten the footballing giants of Egypt, Belgium & Cameroon (the latter two after extra time) to get there.

In the actual semi we came from behind to draw with the eventual world champions and hit the post in extra-time. Euro 96 could arguably be called a choke (inasmuch as we took the lead before Germany levelled) but (IIRC) the aptly-maned ****z scored after about 15 minutes following Sir Alan's early goal.

We qualified for Euro '92 by the way (lost to Sweden when we got there as we invariably do); last time we failed was France '84 when we lost at the old Wembley to an Allan Simonsen penalty.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    We qualified for Euro '92 by the way (lost to Sweden when we got there as we invariably do); last time we failed was France '84 when we lost at the old Wembley to an Allan Simonsen penalty.
    Hmm... As a NZer, I guess you just didn't do too well at Euro '92 as generally, we do get a bit of media tripe about how well the England soccer team are doing. I can't remember hearing anything about the Class of '92, so I'd assumed they hadn't qualified. C'est la vie :/

A cheap shot, but a funny one:

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Chicago Cubs.
    Whoever threw away a 7 game lead in little over two weeks. I pity anyone who supports that team.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information