• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Days of Grace

International Captain
After yesterday's limp display by the all blacks once again in a knockout, are they the biggest chokers in the history of sport?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't believe the English cricket or football team belong here, tbh.

To me "chokers" are people that blow it when they should win. The English team's are just poor IMHO.

grecian

How is it that the SAD English football team has lost every penalty shootout in living memory?
Apart from Spain in '96 you mean.

Umm, I think it's because the other team have taking the penalties better, probably. If we'd been any good we would win the matches in open play, anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Clearly the All-Blacks from the options there. Consistently lose to teams in world cups they should beat.

As grecian observes, our football team is merely above average-quite good on occasions & hasn't really choked as such. We just aren't good enough to consistently beat the best teams. We've generally gone out to teams we could have beaten, rather than ones we should have beaten. Generally on penalities...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The All Blacks easily. Aside from 1999, South Africa had no right to win any one day competition they subsequently or previously got knocked out of. Whilst the New Zealanders winning one World Cup since it's conception is scandalous.

And I take it the poll relates to South Africa as a one day entity? For they have won many a test match in a pressure situation, namely two last year.

Also I can't understand why England is featured in the poll.

Although, Spain could possibly be worth a shout.

Last edited:

grecian

The All Blacks easily. Aside from 1999, South Africa had no right to win any one day competition they subsequently or previously got knocked out of. Whilst the New Zealanders winning one World Cup since it's conception is scandalous.

And I take it the poll relates to South Africa as a one day entity? For they have won many a test match in a pressure situation, namely two last year.

Also I can't understand why England is featured in the poll.

Although, Spain could possibly be worth a shout.
Yeah, Spain would be the football team for me. Totally wasted years of talent, best League in the world, with mainly spanish nationals playing, in it. Yet embarrassing performances in championships in general.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think the England Football Team do deserve to be there. They should have qualified for USA '94 - but choked in the qualifying. I think they choked in the qualifying for one of the Euro tournaments too (Euro '92?) and they definately choked in the Euro '96 semi - and you could argue the same for Italia '90.

Probably the teams of more recent vintage did as well as they deserved, but there's no way that an England team shouldn't qualify for the World Cup.

They could well choke in qualifying for the latest Euro encarnation. Not too sure.

How's about Bayern Munich's team who contrived to lose to Man Utd in the European Cup final - conceding two goals in injury time?

grecian

I think the England Football Team do deserve to be there. They should have qualified for USA '94 - but choked in the qualifying. I think they choked in the qualifying for one of the Euro tournaments too (Euro '92?) and they definately choked in the Euro '96 semi - and you could argue the same for Italia '90.

Probably the teams of more recent vintage did as well as they deserved, but there's no way that an England team shouldn't qualify for the World Cup.

They could well choke in qualifying for the latest Euro encarnation. Not too sure.

How's about Bayern Munich's team who contrived to lose to Man Utd in the European Cup final - conceding two goals in injury time?
Your going back to '94. for the last non-qualification, that's an awful long time ago. We did qualify in '92, rather wish we hadn't, tbh. Holland haven't qualified for a number of Euros and WCs, and they've many better players then us.

As hinted above, I think any team with Graham Taylor managing, did incredibly well to win any games at all. Still can't believe Waddle was discarded, whilst the likes of Sinton, Thomas, Palmer, Dorigo, (oh I could go on and on, tbh) played.

Particularly enjoyed him taking off our top-scoring striker of all time, when we desperately needed a goal in '92.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

We have choked on the odd occasion; in qualifying for the '94 WC we were 2-0 ahead of the Dutch & drew 2-2 and were one up versus Norway and were again pegged back, but I wouldn't call Italia 90 a choke. The fact is we hadn't played anyone of note until we came up against Jerry in the semis. We'd beaten the footballing giants of Egypt, Belgium & Cameroon (the latter two after extra time) to get there.

In the actual semi we came from behind to draw with the eventual world champions and hit the post in extra-time. Euro 96 could arguably be called a choke (inasmuch as we took the lead before Germany levelled) but (IIRC) the aptly-maned Kuntz scored after about 15 minutes following Sir Alan's early goal.

We qualified for Euro '92 by the way (lost to Sweden when we got there as we invariably do); last time we failed was France '84 when we lost at the old Wembley to an Allan Simonsen penalty.

HeathDavisSpeed

We qualified for Euro '92 by the way (lost to Sweden when we got there as we invariably do); last time we failed was France '84 when we lost at the old Wembley to an Allan Simonsen penalty.
Hmm... As a NZer, I guess you just didn't do too well at Euro '92 as generally, we do get a bit of media tripe about how well the England soccer team are doing. I can't remember hearing anything about the Class of '92, so I'd assumed they hadn't qualified. C'est la vie :/

Matteh

Your going back to '94. for the last non-qualification, that's an awful long time ago. We did qualify in '92, rather wish we hadn't, tbh. Holland haven't qualified for a number of Euros and WCs, and they've many better players then us.

As hinted above, I think any team with Graham Taylor managing, did incredibly well to win any games at all. Still can't believe Waddle was discarded, whilst the likes of Sinton, Thomas, Palmer, Dorigo, (oh I could go on and on, tbh) played.

Particularly enjoyed him taking off our top-scoring striker of all time, when we desperately needed a goal in '92.
How old was Bobby Charlton in 1992? :ph34r:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Whoever threw away a 7 game lead in little over two weeks. I pity anyone who supports that team. :dry:
The Billy Goat curse is supposedly over, so lets see what other pathetic excuse Cubby fans come up with for their sorry excuse of a team. At least the White Sox either really suck or are invincible, no in-betweens. :cool:

Johnners

Voted the AB's from that list, but given the chance to vote for the Spanish Football team I would have. At least the All Blacks have won something in the last 20 years...(at least i don't think Spains national team has won something in the last 20 years)