• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Happens more with English fans AFAIK. I don't often see Australian, South African, Sri Lankan, New Zealand or West Indian fans gloating like this. And well, TBH, Pakistan and India are different propositions entirely. What makes it even worse is that all this gloating comes along as soon as England win, understandable, but doesn't hide the fact that they have been **** for four years and are still quite a poor rugby team.
The reasons we are so quick to celebrate are:

a - because in many sports, we often do perform ****, so when we have success it is rewarding. (See also Ashes 2005)
b - in relation to point a, our antipodean friends are often very quick to remind us just how **** we are when we do lose. As are many others. So when we win, yes thanks, I shall gloat.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They progressed further because they played better. Obviously. That doesn't make them better though, not IMO. I think it'll be the worst thing if England win the RWC, as they've pretty much been crap for four years. Would be the worst example to set. They can gloat all they want, but this is very much a false dawn I feel.
Still sounds like sour grapes for mine.
NZ have been gun for 4 years, but yet against missed out where it really counts. Can't say that they really deserve it either.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
They progressed further because they played better. Obviously. That doesn't make them better though, not IMO. I think it'll be the worst thing if England win the RWC, as they've pretty much been crap for four years. Would be the worst example to set. They can gloat all they want, but this is very much a false dawn I feel.
Jesus, England have only lost one game in the entire tournament. It's not like we barely scraped through the group stages.

Johnners

Dire. This is why I hate England winning.
DWTA, now that i think about it, would rather see GIMH make the odd rose-tinted glasses post than see Salamuddin start up another thread about how awesome the French apparently are.

Perm

Still sounds like sour grapes for mine.
NZ have been gun for 4 years, but yet against missed out where it really counts. Can't say that they really deserve it either.
No, they don't. A team like South Africa do. France, Australia and New Zealand would all be more deserving winners than England IMO.

Perm

Jesus, England have only lost one game in the entire tournament. It's not like we barely scraped through the group stages.
They've been far from convincing in the tournament, with the exception of two games, and didn't really impress during the pool stages. Oh, and they've been crap for four years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No, they don't. A team like South Africa do. France, Australia and New Zealand would all be more deserving winners than England IMO.
You have seen the tournament rules right? This is getting silly. Teams that lose have no right bitching. You have done the impossible and got me to side with the soft boys. Christ France lost twice in the tournament and Aus and NZ went out in the 1/4ers. To say they deserve it over a 1 loss team that is in the final is childish and real sour grapes

They've been far from convincing in the tournament, with the exception of two games, and didn't really impress during the pool stages. Oh, and they've been crap for four years.
Being crap for 4 years isnt relevant and no matter how many times you post it it doesnt make it so. This isnt the 6 Nations or the Tri-Nations. They are seperate tournaments for seperate trophies and sepeate glory. Those events are dealt with and finished and have zero relevance to the World Cup.

If England have been **** for 4 years then they have paid for that in doing badly in the competitions throughout that time.

This is a stand alone tournament and nothing else matters apart from what happens during it. England have defeated Aus and Franc. They fully deserve where they are.

Before all this on here I would have supported NZ against England every time. However, this type of attitude makes me a little happy they are now out.

God save me if England win the whole thing. Id hate it, but I would never say they didnt deserve it.

There is a reason why they play the games rather than going by how they look on paper or form.

Perm

FFS, I have given England credit and said that they deserve to be where they are right now, because they have performed better when it comes. But it would't be just if they won, because three good games in four years shouldn't allow a side to be crowned as World Champions, IMO.

sideshowtim

Banned
FFS, I have given England credit and said that they deserve to be where they are right now, because they have performed better when it comes. But it would't be just if they won, because three good games in four years shouldn't allow a side to be crowned as World Champions, IMO.
Don't think it matters too much mate.

Everyone knows the Kiwis are still the best side in the world by far. If England fans all of a sudden claim to be the best in the world....well, they're dumb.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well, already ranted about Taylor earlier in the thread, and for the last 15 years of my life, so I won't carry on.

It may have been a couple of poor performances, byt we were lumbered with the worse manager in history, terrible officiating in the second match against the Dutch, and injury to our key-player (gazza). Hardly canditure for "worse chokers in history", imho.
Yeah sorry, I didn't check the earlier posts until after my own. And I agree with you - England's footballers haven't been chokers as such, with the possible exception of Euro1996 when they should have seen of a really mediocre german side and just didn't play for most of the game.

I do think there is a mental thing though. Not so much for individual games, but looking at the whole picture since 1982 or so. We've fallen so often against decent sides after reaching the last 8 or beyond, that you have to think a mentally tougher side (like the Germans or Italians) would've got though & won the thing from time to time. That's not choking though imho.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
While I don’t think this current England side will go down among the greats of world rugby and I’m certainly not desperate to experience the next round of knighthoods and MBEs that will no doubt accompany an England win, they’ve peaked when it’s mattered and won the games they had to win, which is what World Cup winning teams do. To say that NZ/Australia are better teams is pretty much irrelevant at this stage – sure, if the Rugby World Championship was decided by points accumulated over a home and away league season then NZ would win it, and I’d back Australia to finish ahead of England.

But it’s not. And everybody knows it’s not – the All Black didn’t enter this tournament thinking it was a league-ranking based event only to find out that it became a knock-out event at the quarter final stage and that one loss would send them home, they of all people know how these tournaments work. They didn’t step up when it mattered most, and neither did the Wallabies. England have.

Are England one of the two best rugby teams in the world? I don’t think so.

Do England thoroughly deserve to be playing in next weekend’s final? Absolutely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, the way some people round here are going on you might as well bin the World Cup and just give a trophy out to the world ranked #1 at the end of each year (like Test Cricket).

Thinking about it, our run in this WC reminds me of Brazil in the 2002 Football WC; written off due to doing nothing in the previous years but going on a marvellous run to the final. Brazil actually won the cup, here's hoping!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Outside Australia in Cricket how many World Cups in any sport have been won by the most dominate side over the 2-4 years prior to the World Cup. Italy were solid for most of the time before the last Football World Cup, but Argentina were the stand out side. France were the dominate side prior to 2002 and got knocked out in the first round. Brazil did next to nothing the year before the World Cup that year. They stumbled over the line to qualifly.

But really it makes no difference what so ever in these tournments how well you did prior to the tournment. All that matters is how well you do in the knockouts, even the groups performances mean nothing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England were pretty hot prior to the 2003 WC. TBF, Australia actually went into the CWC on the back of a load of defeats IIRC.

But yeah, in general, true as. They say that form is temporary, but sport is also about peaking at the right time.