• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes (re England & the 1994 WC), World Cup semi-finalists to non-qualifiers. I think we were good enough to qualify at least.
We only had ourselves to blame, what with failing to hold on to leads at Wembley against Norway & Holland. It didn't help that Taylor didn't have a clue, of course.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We only had ourselves to blame, what with failing to hold on to leads at Wembley against Norway & Holland. It didn't help that Taylor didn't have a clue, of course.
Well, already ranted about Taylor earlier in the thread, and for the last 15 years of my life, so I won't carry on.

It may have been a couple of poor performances, byt we were lumbered with the worse manager in history, terrible officiating in the second match against the Dutch, and injury to our key-player (gazza). Hardly canditure for "worse chokers in history", imho.

Still find it utterly bizarre that I pay Taylor his wages to waffle on about England on Radio5:wacko:

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy White springs to mind.
Don't really think it's White's fault his career has overlapped with arguably the two greatest snooker players ever (plus Ray Reardon who wasn't half bad either. Past his best when White was around, but defeated him in atleast one ranking tournament final, iirc.) Snooker's a hard sport to define what a choke is, too. You could go from being 5 frames up and play 1 adequate shot in each of the next 6 frames, then sit down and watch your opponent clear up each time. Doubt White ever did that, tho...

The 92 and 94 world champs finals were definitely chokes.

Last edited:

Matteh

France, WC Runner-ups last year, struggling to qualify against what is essentially a dire Premiership team that was relegated to the Championship last season.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha Salamuddin, you are an embarassment to all societies, our footy team is just fine, thank you, and just for the record, how was the Rugby for you tonight, sunshine?

Perm

And like they are the only ones? They have as much right to rub in as much as anybody. It is a two-way street.
Happens more with English fans AFAIK. I don't often see Australian, South African, Sri Lankan, New Zealand or West Indian fans gloating like this. And well, TBH, Pakistan and India are different propositions entirely. What makes it even worse is that all this gloating comes along as soon as England win, understandable, but doesn't hide the fact that they have been **** for four years and are still quite a poor rugby team.

Craig

World Traveller
Happens more with English fans AFAIK. I don't often see Australian, South African, Sri Lankan, New Zealand or West Indian fans gloating like this. And well, TBH, Pakistan and India are different propositions entirely. What makes it even worse is that all this gloating comes along as soon as England win, understandable, but doesn't hide the fact that they have been **** for four years and are still quite a poor rugby team.
So why did they progress further then New Zealand and Australia and were able to beat France? If they win the final then undeniably they will be able to gloat.

Perm

So why did they progress further then New Zealand and Australia and were able to beat France? If they win the final then undeniably they will be able to gloat.
They progressed further because they played better. Obviously. That doesn't make them better though, not IMO. I think it'll be the worst thing if England win the RWC, as they've pretty much been crap for four years. Would be the worst example to set. They can gloat all they want, but this is very much a false dawn I feel.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Is Trent Barrett no longer classified as choker after he lead Leeds to a Super League GF win over St Helens?