• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Salamuddin

International Debutant
World Cup finalists about 5 minutes away from not qualifying because of Scotland is embarassing and doesn't really give any French person bragging rights.

As it is, shall be supporting the country of my birth in the Euros.

How exactly were France 5 minutes away from not qualifying ?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL at the fact that you wouldn't nhave shown your face had things been different, you're pathetic

ripper868

International Coach
I think the England Football Team do deserve to be there. They should have qualified for USA '94 - but choked in the qualifying. I think they choked in the qualifying for one of the Euro tournaments too (Euro '92?) and they definately choked in the Euro '96 semi - and you could argue the same for Italia '90.
add euro 2008 to that as well

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a dig for this thread, but are the ManUre of 11/12 holding their hands up here? From a lead of eight points with five games to go to being reliant on a favour from QPR with one remaining is a fair jib by anyone's estimation.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit of a dig for this thread, but are the ManUre of 11/12 holding their hands up here? From a lead of eight points with five games to go to being reliant on a favour from QPR with one remaining is a fair jib by anyone's estimation.
Didn't they also blow a big lead, one of the times your lot beat them.

Will be forgotten next year though, and they'll start talking about Fergie being "king of the mind games", when in actual fact they generally win because they've the better team.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't they also blow a big lead, one of the times your lot beat them.

Will be forgotten next year though, and they'll start talking about Fergie being "king of the mind games", when in actual fact they generally win because they've the better team.
Yeah, when we lost to Blackburn at Highbury in 97/98 we were (from memory) 11 points behind but we did have three games in hand and were due to visit Old Tartford too, so the title was never out of our hands, technically speaking.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That was the year a bookie paid out on Man U IIRC
Yes I believe so, certainly a lot stopped taking bets.

In terms of the poll question you'd probably have to say the South African cricket team have eclipsed the All Blacks now. Obviously the All Blacks won the last World Cup and since this thread was created South Africa have dominated 2 world cups (one T20) in the groups, only to be knocked out in the first knockout game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That was the year a bookie paid out on Man U IIRC
Reminds me of this. Bookie pays out early on Dragons

The Dragons ended up finishing in fifth. With the side that Man Utd has, I wouldn't call the actual event the biggest choke in World Sport. However, it might end up being the most costly choke or the choke which changed sporting history the most or something along those lines. Of course if Utd don't actually win the title.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sportsbet do it all the time, and its a brilliant marketing tool. They make far more money on paying out early than they lose.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You'd think if Man City don't win the title it'll be the biggest choke of all time.

By that I mean the choke that will occur on DCYE's neck when he hangs himself. Let's hope it doesn't happen :(

Also I saw Man City spank the **** out of Tottenham last year and I want to be able to say I saw the champions that season play. :cool: