View Poll Results: Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Blacks

19 52.78%
  • South Africa cricket team

13 36.11%
  • England cricket team

0 0%
  • England football team

1 2.78%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

3 8.33%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Froze on the occasion, yeah, but to get it back to 2-2 and still throw it away counts as a choke for mine. Arguably did against Russia too; 1-0 up and cruising to 2-1 and reliant on a favour in 4 minutes.

No disrespect to either Croatia or Russia, but they're teams we should be beating. Usually we exit to teams we might beat (yer Germanys, yer Argies & yer Portugals).
    Was it really choking over all though? Seemed a poorly prepared team for the campaign. The tactics sucked, the spoilt players were handled poorly and all that jazz.

England were 2-2 on a penalty and really, should not need a 3-2 win v Croatia to qualify. Shows how the team was poor right through out. India usually defeat Bangladesh and stuff too. Doesn't mean that they deserved to defeat Bangladesh in world cup 2007. Maybe the English team choked at times in the campaign but over all, I would call the Euro qualifiers a poor team not qualifying much more than a choke.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    I'm sorry what was that again sunshine ?
    World Cup finalists about 5 minutes away from not qualifying because of Scotland is embarassing and doesn't really give any French person bragging rights.

As it is, shall be supporting the country of my birth in the Euros.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

cpr
    England choked it last night. No arguments.

Manager bowed to public pressure (IMO thats enough evidence to sack him, and any other national boss) and dropped the keeper and arguably are best big game player. Should've stuck to what got us (almost) so far in the first place.

Carson, talk about only first competitive international etc, but lets face it, he's a guy who plays infront of 40,000 each week, and he completely tossed up the first goal. No excuses. Like Robinson in the first Croatia match, he missed the golden rule of keeping. Get the body behind the ball, that way if your so inept to catch/kick it, it'll smack you in the face and give everyone a laugh. (How many here were taught cricketing fielding to stop a ground ball by going down on one knee and using your leg as a back up to your hands, to stop the ball whizzing off to the boundary? Same principle).

Second goal, well, you've got 2 league champion defenders in Bridge and Campbell. Supposidly the best right back in the country (i say supposidly, because i'm not biased against the Neveller just because of his dodgy tache), and, well, some Everton guy. Still though, 4 top class Premiership defenders, who couldnt organize themselves all night. And it cost.

Even at 2-2 (managed through Beckham's 110% attitude, Crouch being the only England player worth his start, Joe Coles obligatory one piece of worthwhile skill per game, and Defoe going down easier than a hooker who's paid by the gallon), we completely bottled it, never got possession, sat back and almost awaited the knockout goal, and when it did come, it was a 30 yard shot that the defenders turned there back on. Another first rule ignored. Let the ball smack you, who cares, NEVER turn your back on the opposition/ball.

Utter disgrace tbh.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach
    Will argue to the death that Robinson was not at fault away to Croatia (or in Russia for that matter).
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I was going for Croatia all the way tbh, can't stand English footballers (except Beckham).
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Coach
    Wasn't really fussed, but it's probably a blessing in disguise for England that they lost, because it got rid of McDonut. I did find it quite funny though.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Will argue to the death that Robinson was not at fault away to Croatia (or in Russia for that matter).
    Thats fair enough, being someone who played in net regularly (and to a pretty high standard. Stopped growing at around 5ft10, if i'd been taller i'd have probably tried making a living out of it), i personally think he could've done things differently that would've saved the goal. Yes it was a hell of a bobble, and thats plain tough look, nowt can be done about that. But iirc he had time to control it then kick it, he wasnt overly pressed down. Given a miskick ends up in a goal, its something you really should do. Secondly, and lesser i suppose, was the mannor he was trying to kick it. You can tell he was trying to pick someone out, and was going for precision. When you do that you naturally swing your leg wider, and your foots at a 90 degree angle to the body when you strike it. Double crime there, as you shouldnt try that unless you've got the ball pretty much under control, and if you do feel rushed to hit it without control (as he must've to take a swipe first time at it), you dont go for precision, but power. Thus you bring the full force of your body through the ball, meaning you legs straighter when you hit it (added bonus is the bobble hits your shin, not the onion bag)

Also, Neville was at serious gaffe n all....... Rule 1, when passing the ball back to the keeper, play it at an angle away from the goal, just incase........ He should've put the back pass 5 yards further right, thus it'd only be a corner.

The South African cricket team by miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles.

International Coach
    Thats fair enough, being someone who played in net regularly (and to a pretty high standard. Stopped growing at around 5ft10, if i'd been taller i'd have probably tried making a living out of it), i personally think he could've done things differently that would've saved the goal. Yes it was a hell of a bobble, and thats plain tough look, nowt can be done about that. But iirc he had time to control it then kick it, he wasnt overly pressed down. Given a miskick ends up in a goal, its something you really should do. Secondly, and lesser i suppose, was the mannor he was trying to kick it. You can tell he was trying to pick someone out, and was going for precision. When you do that you naturally swing your leg wider, and your foots at a 90 degree angle to the body when you strike it. Double crime there, as you shouldnt try that unless you've got the ball pretty much under control, and if you do feel rushed to hit it without control (as he must've to take a swipe first time at it), you dont go for precision, but power. Thus you bring the full force of your body through the ball, meaning you legs straighter when you hit it (added bonus is the bobble hits your shin, not the onion bag)
    Hmm, all technically true, however I'm willing to bet that 90% of 'keepers do it the way Robinson did and simply don't get caught out. I also played in goal (basially played there because I couldn't control a ball at my feet at all) and always got rid of it first time due to the fact that I felt easier that way. Obviously you would hope a top level 'keeper such as Robinson would be able to play the ball, but it's a possible reason why he'd have hit it first time, apart from the obvious "not expecting the bobble, done it all my life before and got away with it".

I agree about Neville.

Also, Neville was at serious gaffe n all....... Rule 1, when passing the ball back to the keeper, play it at an angle away from the goal, just incase........ He should've put the back pass 5 yards further right, thus it'd only be a corner.
    Your reasoning seems pretty solid mate. But i don't know really how can you blame Robinson or Neville. I was sitting infront of the TV & England as usual 1-0 moving things around slowly & nervously Neville played the ball back to Robinson for a routine get out jail clearance & i was like WTF at first as i thought the idiot totally missed the ball & it went in. But the replay showed it hit bounce up very unfortunately just as he was about to kick. Since then the media & fans have made mockery of the situation & it has definately affected Robinsons form especially this season where the Spurs defense has been injury plagued because i'm sure you would agree that since he became England number 1 up to that incident he was pretty solid between the sticks.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    World Cup finalists about 5 minutes away from not qualifying because of Scotland is embarassing and doesn't really give any French person bragging rights.

As it is, shall be supporting the country of my birth in the Euros.

How exactly were France 5 minutes away from not qualifying ?
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    LOL at the fact that you wouldn't nhave shown your face had things been different, you're pathetic
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    LOL at the fact that you wouldn't nhave shown your face had things been different, you're pathetic

GeraintIsMyHero seen here waiting for dawn to come around

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Pinball Champion!
    English football team?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information