• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bathurst 2007

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I miss the personality clashes between Murph and Ambrose TBH. 2003-04 was gun. They were both in fine form behind the wheel then.
The 2005 incident was legendary, thought hands were going to be thrown TBH.

Matt79

Global Moderator
People starting posts with "False." really annoy me - just comes across as bit prissy IMO.

If you think Denyer has charisma that's a matter of taste - but that could be because he's a TV 'personality' dabbling in driving. Of the elite drivers, the type who can win championships and/or Bathurst, Lowndes is streets ahead.

Where did I say it wasn't a sport FFS? Rate these blokes massively. And I reckon Lowndes remains one of the very very best - as he's shown when he's had a competitive car.

From what I can see, its only people in the Red camp who hold a grudge who dislike the bloke.

Perm

Where did I say it wasn't a sport FFS? Rate these blokes massively. And I reckon Lowndes remains one of the very very best - as he's shown when he's had a competitive car.

From what I can see, its only people in the Red camp who hold a grudge who dislike the bloke.
I don't think he was having a go at you, but the people on CW who have been openly critical of motorsport in the past.

Also, we have every right to hold a grudge against Lowndes. He deserted us and went to Ford, that's tantamount to treason! Nice enough bloke though, I don't mind him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
As I just said in Made/Ruined My Day, I'm not in either camp, I just like good drivers, and he's very good.

Flem274*

123/5
People starting posts with "False." really annoy me - just comes across as bit prissy IMO.

If you think Denyer has charisma that's a matter of taste - but that could be because he's a TV 'personality' dabbling in driving. Of the elite drivers, the type who can win championships and/or Bathurst, Lowndes is streets ahead.

Sorry bout the "False." It was just the quickest word to write.:laugh:

Lowndes has enormous talent, second only to Skaife IMO. Though Skaife is aging a bit now.

He (Lowndes) has had unfortunate incidents and made mistakes in the past that have cost him.

And I wasn't having a go at you BTW, just the people that underestimate Racing drivers skill here on CW.

On an unrelated topic, I see Franchitti has sold out to NASCAR. Its a shame, I wanted Dixon to have the chance to prove that he's the better driver next season, because he undoubtedly is. Kanaan and Castroneves are better too.

Johnners

**** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

1-2-3 :cool: :cool: :D:D:D Only disappointment was that Winterbottom/Richards weren't in the top 3 after they've arguably been the best car & combination all weekend :(

Also, take note, Whincup & Lowndes are now 1-2 in the championship :D:D

A big **** you to those who hate Lowndes tbh, gunnest driver, and he's anything but an arrogant prick. He, along with Frosty, are pretty much the only drivers who doesn't do nut if something doesn't go his way (Lowndes has fired up a little in the past few years, but he's still far & away the most graceful in defeat) If you want arrogant, look no further than Rick ****ing Kelly. Also in terms of skill, he's easily the most skilled driver out of the lot of them. Skaife is very good, when the car his good, but i'm sure those of you who watch the V8's religiously like myself, would agree that Lowndes is far & away the best when it comes to getting the most out of his car, even when it isn't 100%.

It isn't at all a hollow victory Mr Wright, it's probably the sweetest victory in 3 years (when Ambrose first won the C'ship).

Flem274*

123/5
**** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

1-2-3 :cool: :cool: :D:D:D Only disappointment was that Winterbottom/Richards weren't in the top 3 after they've arguably been the best car & combination all weekend :(

Also, take note, Whincup & Lowndes are now 1-2 in the championship :D:D

A big **** you to those who hate Lowndes tbh, gunnest driver, and he's anything but an arrogant prick. He, along with Frosty, are pretty much the only drivers who doesn't do nut if something doesn't go his way (Lowndes has fired up a little in the past few years, but he's still far & away the most graceful in defeat) If you want arrogant, look no further than Rick ****ing Kelly. Also in terms of skill, he's easily the most skilled driver out of the lot of them. Skaife is very good, when the car his good, but i'm sure those of you who watch the V8's religiously like myself, would agree that Lowndes is far & away the best when it comes to getting the most out of his car, even when it isn't 100%.
It isn't at all a hollow victory Mr Wright, it's probably the sweetest victory in 3 years (when Ambrose first won the C'ship).
Nope. Don't. And I watch motorsport religiously as well.

EDIT: misread what you said. Thought you said Lowndes was far and away the best driver. When it comes to getting the best out of their car, its hard to say. Lowndes is certainly up near the top however.

And how exactly is Rick Kelly arrogant? The Kelly brothers are two of the better ambassadors of the sport.

And not ranting and raving when something goes wrong has nothing to do with arrogance, its to do with how the drivers vent fustration. Murph, Ingall and Ambrose shoot first, ask questions later whilst Lowndes, Tander, Radisich etc quietly fume in silence.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Ford may be ****, but Lowndes is a class act. If I had a racing team, I'd want him as my lead driver. I'm also a big fan of the Kelly bothers though, so it's kind of contradictory.

Johnners

Thought you said Ford weren't going to win it?
Nah, it was always a 50/50, but given the fact that the Toll cars have been the most reliable all season, and that Weasel/Tander were together made them slight favourites imo. That said, 9/10 i would've tipped Lowndes/Whincup or Frosty/Richo to win it.

Mister Wright

Nah, it was always a 50/50, but given the fact that the Toll cars have been the most reliable all season, and that Weasel/Tander were together made them slight favourites imo. That said, 9/10 i would've tipped Lowndes/Whincup or Frosty/Richo to win it.
Typical Ford person, no balls. Excuses, excuses...:p.

Flem274*

123/5
What have you got agaist Rick Kelly?:laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sorry bout the "False." It was just the quickest word to write.:laugh:

Lowndes has enormous talent, second only to Skaife IMO. Though Skaife is aging a bit now.

He (Lowndes) has had unfortunate incidents and made mistakes in the past that have cost him.

And I wasn't having a go at you BTW, just the people that underestimate Racing drivers skill here on CW.

On an unrelated topic, I see Franchitti has sold out to NASCAR. Its a shame, I wanted Dixon to have the chance to prove that he's the better driver next season, because he undoubtedly is. Kanaan and Castroneves are better too.
That's ok - the rest of what you wrote was ok - the 'false.' thing is probably just a personal gripe of mine, but its one that really annoys me - probably because a few people in some of the more annoying debates in CC overused it.

Johnners

Nope. Don't. And I watch motorsport religiously as well.

EDIT: misread what you said. Thought you said Lowndes was far and away the best driver. When it comes to getting the best out of their car, its hard to say. Lowndes is certainly up near the top however.

And how exactly is Rick Kelly arrogant? The Kelly brothers are two of the better ambassadors of the sport.

And not ranting and raving when something goes wrong has nothing to do with arrogance, its to do with how the drivers vent fustration. Murph, Ingall and Ambrose shoot first, ask questions later whilst Lowndes, Tander, Radisich etc quietly fume in silence.
Lowndes certainly isn't "far and away" the best driver, but he is the best afaic, and how the drivers handle a car that isn't 100% goes a long way to determining their ability behind the wheel imo. As well as wringing the neck of his car, his car control in all conditions is also outstanding.

Rick Kelly isn't one of the better ambassadors of the sport. Sure he's young, and a very good driver, but it stops there. He's a whinger, and a dirty driver. Todd is a champion though (y)

Probably didn't explain myself fully in terms of the arrogance thing. The way Lowndes handles himself on & off the track is fantastic. He always comes across as a graceful winner, & loser, and certainly doesn't take anything for granted. He never talks himself, or his achievements up (see Rick Kelly, "i could've won 9 bathursts in brocky's era and he'd never come close to doing it nowadays") so i'm failing to see how he he's arrogant.

(apologies if none of what i'm saying makes sense, i'm on the verge of sleep)

Johnners

What have you got agaist Rick Kelly?:laugh:
Everything tbh. He's a spoilt brat. Had a cry 2 years ago when McConville passed him on the last corner of the last lap to win at Winton because he thought it was a flag. He punted Lowndes off to win the c'ship last year, and to top it all off, Kelly crapped on in '04 about how Brocky would never win 9 Bathursts in todays ear, and that he (Kelly) could've matched his feats had he been racing when Brock was.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Are you actually a fan of the V8 Supercars or just a casual spectator?
Casual spectator who used to have an interest. Tbf, i'm going partially on what the commentators were saying, and partly what i saw, as i was flicking between that and a few other things.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I follow every V8 race and F1 and how anyone could call Lowndes arrogant is beyond me.

Fantastic result for Ford. I wish Junior Johnson could have held on at the end. Old Dick Johnson was about to blow a valve spring!

It's a shame that once again Radisich gets the **** end of the stick when it comes to car reliability. We never really got to see who was better out of him or Murph. There's no contest who's the better personality though.

Flem274*

123/5
Everything tbh. He's a spoilt brat. Had a cry 2 years ago when McConville passed him on the last corner of the last lap to win at Winton because he thought it was a flag. He punted Lowndes off to win the c'ship last year, and to top it all off, Kelly crapped on in '04 about how Brocky would never win 9 Bathursts in todays ear, and that he (Kelly) could've matched his feats had he been racing when Brock was.
Don't remember that rant. Though TBH I doubt Brock could have won 9 Bathursts in todays era. Its just so much harder. That is something that can never be proven though. As for Kelly saying he could have won 9 bathursts, that is arrogance I admit but fairly typical of a young talented driver that has won 2 Bathursts and is getting carried away a bit.

As for punting Lowndes off, as a ford fan I doubt you could ever be convinced it was a legitimate accident, and its surprising giving the pedanticness of the officials in recent years that Kelly wasn't called for it, but that was a borderline incident that could have gone either way. I thought Tander's blocking was more deliberate, but thats a tactic seen so often it would be foolish to hang Tander for it.