• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marion Jones 'admits to Olympic doping'

Craig

World Traveller
Full story

Doesn't surprise me TBH, I mean how American athletes are still not getting the message? That Barry Bonds is still playing astounds me given his background and reputation.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No suprise at all. In fact it was pretty obvious that she had been guilty for a long time.

There is a lot of evidence that the Americans had hushed up a number of positives found domestically over the years to preserve the 'integrity' of the sport.

As for other sports, its only on the 3rd time you are found positive in American football that you are banned for a season.

Josh

International Regular
American sport almost encourages drug use. Baseballers are always on something. Look at the end of Strawberry's career.

Craig

World Traveller
No suprise at all. In fact it was pretty obvious that she had been guilty for a long time.

There is a lot of evidence that the Americans had hushed up a number of positives found domestically over the years to preserve the 'integrity' of the sport.

As for other sports, its only on the 3rd time you are found positive in American football that you are banned for a season.
Not a fan of this three strikes rule, if you test postive in your A sample and the same in the B sample, then a two-year ban has to be implemented. Granted I don't know the full details of Shoaib Ahktar and Mohammad Asif's positive drug tests last year, but I was very weary of the whole thing and I don't have a lot of time for excuses of pure ignorance, it is their business to knowand to check what medical products they take. In pro cycling now if somebody is positive they have to pay one year of their salary.

Does that mean Jones will loss her medals then?

Craig

World Traveller
Has she ever tested positive in Olympics or any other tournament ?
AFAIK no, but knowing how these authorities work, then admitting is the same as testing positive, so she will be stripped of her medals.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just saw a bit about it on the news, looks like she will lose her medals, and potentially serve a Jail term.

cameeel

International Captain
Just saw a bit about it on the news, looks like she will lose her medals, and potentially serve a Jail term.
So will they retrospectively award her gold medals to the silver medallists? Or just strip her and leave it at that?

Piper

International Captain
Not surprised. Most of these top level athletes do it.
Not necessarily(sp?). It's just people like Jones who brings a dark cloud over athletics so that everyone automatically believes that everyone is taking something.

Perm

Not necessarily(sp?). It's just people like Jones who brings a dark cloud over athletics so that everyone automatically believes that everyone is taking something.
That's very naive of you. I think most of these professional athletes have, or will have by the end of their careers, taken performance enhancing drugs. It's just too hard to compete without them.

Craig

World Traveller
That's very naive of you. I think most of these professional athletes have, or will have by the end of their careers, taken performance enhancing drugs. It's just too hard to compete without them.
Then who is to say cricketers or rugby players or footballers (soccer) are not on drugs, not so much performance enhancing, but for recovery purposes? That is part of the reason why there is a drug problem in cycling, not just to win (as it obviously happens) but to get through each day.

And yes it is possible to compete without them, it takes just a very strong hardworking ethic. It would be ignorant to think that people like track & field athletes, cyclists, swimmers take drugs (we all know about body building is dodgy as) yet not those who play a round or oval ball sport.

Perm

Then who is to say cricketers or rugby players or footballers (soccer) are not on drugs, not so much performance enhancing, but for recovery purposes? That is part of the reason why there is a drug problem in cycling, not just to win (as it obviously happens) but to get through each day.

And yes it is possible to compete without them, it takes just a very strong hardworking ethic. It would be ignorant to think that people like track & field athletes, cyclists, swimmers take drugs (we all know about body building is dodgy as) yet not those who play a round or oval ball sport.
I never said anything about those who play ball sports, so I'm not really sure where you got your point from. Fact is, there are much more known drug cases in swimming, cylcing and athletics than team sports, therefore one can reasonably safely assume that drugs are more prominent in those sports.

Also, it is too hard to be an honest toiler and compete with the best athletes when they are taking performance enhancing drugs. Just turns into a big domino effect.

Craig

World Traveller
I never said anything about those who play ball sports, so I'm not really sure where you got your point from. Fact is, there are much more known drug cases in swimming, cylcing and athletics than team sports, therefore one can reasonably safely assume that drugs are more prominent in those sports.

Also, it is too hard to be an honest toiler and compete with the best athletes when they are taking performance enhancing drugs. Just turns into a big domino effect.
Well with that mentality then said athlete is beaten already mentally before they start, that is the exact reason why drugs are being taken, if everybody else is taking them then so will they so they have a chance of winning or even competing. Also FTR there are plenty of clean and successfull athletes out there.

But my earlier point was that yes there is more drug cases in athletics, cycling (which is actually a team sport at the top level), etc, then sports like football, rugby or cricket, but who is to say it isn't widespread if they are not tested (some cricket boards don't even test their contracted players) or sweep under the carpet (which affects $$$$$). If you want a prominat drug case, look up Italian soccer team Juventus with alleged doping in the 90's.