8 80.00%
  • Yes

0 0%
  • undecided

2 20.00%

Thread: Greg Inglis 5/8

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Greg Inglis 5/8

I know he had a blinder last night but I'm still completely unconvinced about Greg Inglis at pivot, think its a terrible waste of such an amazing player. He is quite clearly a ball runner rather than a ball player and he dosent get the space in closer to the rucks that made him so dangerous as a winger/centre earlier in his career.
    Even last night, his finest moments came playing almost as a second fullback, bobbing up out wide rather than the traditional 5/8 sort of role.

I know Billy Slater is a tremendous player aswell so fullback may not be an option for a while yet, but I hope that with Matt King going overseas next year they atleast move him to centre, I pray last night dosent trick anyone into thinking he is or ever will be a genuine 5/8.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    The think is the role of 5/8 has changed over the last couple seasons. How many traditional 5/8 are around in the NRL. Really only Roberts, Witt, Carney and Finch are playmakers who play at 5/8. All these four have played a fair bit of halfback as well during their careers. Most of 5/8 these days are similar to Inglis either ball runners or loose forwards. His just a modern 5/8 these days. Really its not like he plays any different role to what Geyer would play at 5/8.

Also it doesn't need its own thread, the NRL thread is there for a reason or the Rugby League thread for Inetrnational RL.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 30-09-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

No. Should be at Fullback.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    As Tharmi said, probably doesn't deserve a new thread. It depends whether the selectors want to fill gaps or not. They've got class players in the other positions that Inglis plays, but I'd say 5/8 is a comparative weakness, and Inglis can cover that.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    I know he had a blinder last night but I'm still completely unconvinced about Greg Inglis at pivot, think its a terrible waste of such an amazing player. He is quite clearly a ball runner rather than a ball player and he dosent get the space in closer to the rucks that made him so dangerous as a winger/centre earlier in his career.
    Even last night, his finest moments came playing almost as a second fullback, bobbing up out wide rather than the traditional 5/8 sort of role.

I know Billy Slater is a tremendous player aswell so fullback may not be an option for a while yet, but I hope that with Matt King going overseas next year they atleast move him to centre, I pray last night dosent trick anyone into thinking he is or ever will be a genuine 5/8.
    Nope, he's a fullback. Give Inglis the no.1 jersey, move Slater to a wing, & Quinn to the centres. Either that or Inglis straight into the centres, eitherway, he's not a 5/8, and never will be imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Breakout Champion!
    Having never seen him at 5/8 (stupid Setanta. Grrr...), I'm not really in the position to comment. I've never even seen him at fullback either, such was my luck with games last season, but he looked well at home at centre. Reckoned that was his natural position.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Is that not pretty much the status quo for stand offs down there these days? It's getting that way up here. Thought it was more or less universal that that is the way the position's going.

Banned
    Slater should be Melbourne's 5/8 and Inglis should be fullback. Simple switch really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gormsby View Post
    Slater should be Melbourne's 5/8 and Inglis should be fullback. Simple switch really.
    Stewbum?
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Banned
    Don't get it.

he's obviously not cut out for this position.

Thread Information