• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Inglis 5/8

Does Greg Inglis' future lie at 5/8

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
I know he had a blinder last night but I'm still completely unconvinced about Greg Inglis at pivot, think its a terrible waste of such an amazing player. He is quite clearly a ball runner rather than a ball player and he dosent get the space in closer to the rucks that made him so dangerous as a winger/centre earlier in his career.
Even last night, his finest moments came playing almost as a second fullback, bobbing up out wide rather than the traditional 5/8 sort of role.

I know Billy Slater is a tremendous player aswell so fullback may not be an option for a while yet, but I hope that with Matt King going overseas next year they atleast move him to centre, I pray last night dosent trick anyone into thinking he is or ever will be a genuine 5/8.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The think is the role of 5/8 has changed over the last couple seasons. How many traditional 5/8 are around in the NRL. Really only Roberts, Witt, Carney and Finch are playmakers who play at 5/8. All these four have played a fair bit of halfback as well during their careers. Most of 5/8 these days are similar to Inglis either ball runners or loose forwards. His just a modern 5/8 these days. Really its not like he plays any different role to what Geyer would play at 5/8.

Also it doesn't need its own thread, the NRL thread is there for a reason or the Rugby League thread for Inetrnational RL.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Tharmi said, probably doesn't deserve a new thread. It depends whether the selectors want to fill gaps or not. They've got class players in the other positions that Inglis plays, but I'd say 5/8 is a comparative weakness, and Inglis can cover that.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know he had a blinder last night but I'm still completely unconvinced about Greg Inglis at pivot, think its a terrible waste of such an amazing player. He is quite clearly a ball runner rather than a ball player and he dosent get the space in closer to the rucks that made him so dangerous as a winger/centre earlier in his career.
Even last night, his finest moments came playing almost as a second fullback, bobbing up out wide rather than the traditional 5/8 sort of role.

I know Billy Slater is a tremendous player aswell so fullback may not be an option for a while yet, but I hope that with Matt King going overseas next year they atleast move him to centre, I pray last night dosent trick anyone into thinking he is or ever will be a genuine 5/8.
Nope, he's a fullback. Give Inglis the no.1 jersey, move Slater to a wing, & Quinn to the centres. Either that or Inglis straight into the centres, eitherway, he's not a 5/8, and never will be imo.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Having never seen him at 5/8 (stupid Setanta. Grrr...), I'm not really in the position to comment. I've never even seen him at fullback either, such was my luck with games last season, but he looked well at home at centre. Reckoned that was his natural position.

Is that not pretty much the status quo for stand offs down there these days? It's getting that way up here. Thought it was more or less universal that that is the way the position's going.