• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2007 Football World Cup thread

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Argies not too flash then.
So it seems. Didn't win a game last time around, either - lost 6-0 to Japan, 6-1 to Germany and 3-0 to Canada. Doesn't say much for women's football in South America that they're the holders of the Sudamericano Femenino (Copa America equivalent) and came second to Brazil in the previous three tournaments. Only ever beaten Brazil, who AFAIK are the only South Americans with a professional league, once though.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon USA - North Korea will be a cracker today. Strongly advise people to watch. 10 am (BST) on Eurosport for the Brits. It'll be better than any Premiership game this year.

England play at 1, again on Eurosport and BBC 2, if anyone's interested.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watched the first half. The keeper truly was awful - the first own goal was a corner she managed to fist into her own net from four metres out.
:laugh: :laugh: quality stuff.

Matildas V Ghana tomorrow should be good. The Matilda's have been in good form during the leadup, defeating China twice (i think).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
USA 2 - 2 Korea
Abby Wambach (50)
Son Hui Kil (58)
Yong Ae Kim (62)
Heather O'Reilly (69)

Told you it'd be gun. Korea were the better team. Huge effort against a side that's not lost since November 2004.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Japan 2-2 England
Aya Miyama (55, 90+3)
Kelly Smith (81, 83)

Decent free kick for Japan's first goal. Awesome free kick for the second. Kelly Smith does her thing, as usual.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Turn the game on to an endless run of giving the ball away and then Kelly Smith equalises and then puts England ahead... hmm

Scaly piscine

Must be playing to netball rules if they're giving free kicks for that.

Anyway why bother having a wall if you're going to stand right behind it?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Two of CW's most represented nations in action today. Full time scores:

Australia 4 - 1 Ghana
Sarah Walsh (15)
Lisa De Vanna (57, 81)
Heather Garriock (69)
Anita Amankwa (70)

Brazil 5 - 0 New Zealand
Daniela (10)
Cristiane (54)
Marta (74, 93)
Renata Costa (86)

Norway vs. Canada and China vs. Denmark currently ongoing and both 0-0

Johnners

Matildas played well for the part of the game i managed to watch. Amankwa's goal for Ghana was top stuff as well

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matildas played well for the part of the game i managed to watch. Amankwa's goal for Ghana was top stuff as well
Ghana lacked a bit in physique for mine. Canada will run them over.

Brazil's shooting was scary. The only team with any genuine power behind their long shots (though Stensland and a Ghanese had a couple semi-decent ones.)

Norway 2-1 Canada, a bit of a lucky break as Norway didn't play football at all for the first 45 minutes, but Canada ran themselves out of steam and weren't really dangerous in the second half. Norway's second goal came from chaos in the box, but the first one was a genuinely good attack through the right flank. :)

China beat Denmark 3-2 in a game I couldn't watch, since it collided with Norway-Canada. Sounds like a cracker by most accounts.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Today's scores

Group A:

Argentina 0 - 1 Japan

England 0 - 0 Germany

Group B:

Sweden 0 - 2 USA

Nigeria 0 - 2 North Korea

Gutted that I couldn't see today's game. Looks like the result England were looking for, playing Kelly Smith up front on her own and, according to the BBC website, right back Alex Scott in midfield. Leaves England needing to beat Argentina to go through - by a margin of 2 if Japan and Germany draw, which in itself would be unlikely, never mind a Japan victory, so there's no need to think about that.

grecian

:laugh: :laugh: I agree. PS - are BBC2 Scotland showing England's games live under Alex Salmond's orders on the basis that it might win the SNP more votes?:laugh: Give me Daniela Hantuchova anyday.....
Actually, I'm not against Womans football particularly. There are worse sports on the telly, Rugby Union for one:ph34r:

I was more commenting on the fact that Steds has a habit of putting that link up everytime a new "socey" thread is started.:)

I don't tend to go into threads slagging off a sport thats in there. Seems a bit churlish, tbh.

Anywhoo, Ivanovic (sp) over Hantuchova any day please.:)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Actually, I'm not against Womans football particularly. There are worse sports on the telly, Rugby Union for one:ph34r:

I was more commenting on the fact that Steds has a habit of putting that link up everytime a new "socey" thread is started.:)

I don't tend to go into threads slagging off a sport thats in there. Seems a bit churlish, tbh.

Anywhoo, Ivanovic (sp) over Hantuchova any day please.:)
Mind you it was a good TV ad, wasn't it?

Scaly piscine

Argentina's goalkeeper suddenly become decent against England in the last half hour, England 3-0 up tho and look on their way to the quarter finals.