• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nfl 2007

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Steelers playing the inconsistent football and bit unlucky to face them Denver oldies immediately after the bye week. Those Denver oldies got some fresh legs and I must say Steelers were bit over-confident and paid the price for it.

Steelers could very well have been 6-0 in this season but for their over-confidence in two of the games they have lost. Not to forget that their offensive line has been pretty inconsistent.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pats this season...best team since Bears 85?????
What about the QB, is TB the best QB ever ? It it enough to settle that debate or we are still on the Montana/Elway Wagon. ;)
Disagree with both statements. Are the Pats the best team since free agency was introduced? Absolutely. But best team ever? No, IMO. The league today is a parity-driven league. Teams are not as deep and talented as they used to be before free agency came into play. It is very impressive that the Pats were able to build a dynasty in this era. However, their dynasty is below those of the '60's Packers, '70's Steelers, '80's Niners, and the '90's Cowboys. Even if you were to compare a SINGLE season team, then I would rate the '85 Bears, the '72 Dolphins, the '92 Cowboys, and the '94 Niners as better teams.

As far as Brady, I love the guy and he's a no-brainer Hall of Famer. But again, based on the fact that he's dominating in a parity-driven league, I would rate him below Montana, Staubach, and Bradshaw for starters. I would put him ahead of Marino though, because he won Superbowls whereas Marino didn't.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As far as Brady, I love the guy and he's a no-brainer Hall of Famer. But again, based on the fact that he's dominating in a parity-driven league, I would rate him below Montana, Staubach, and Bradshaw for starters. I would put him ahead of Marino though, because he won Superbowls whereas Marino didn't.
Oh he is way better than Bradshaw, way better. There simply is no comparison. Yes Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls, but his team was built of 9 Hall of famers that included two WRs. Bradshaw was more mobile, athletic and had a stronger arm than Brady but Brady is smarter, better clutch performer, more accurate and overall a better leader than TB.

I have not watched Staubach and Marino enough to say anything about them, although I would not hold Marino's Zero SB rings against him. Montana is tough one, I have watched a lot of his films and I really have no way of figuring out who is better.

Swervy

International Captain
Disagree with both statements. Are the Pats the best team since free agency was introduced? Absolutely. But best team ever? No, IMO. The league today is a parity-driven league. Teams are not as deep and talented as they used to be before free agency came into play. It is very impressive that the Pats were able to build a dynasty in this era. However, their dynasty is below those of the '60's Packers, '70's Steelers, '80's Niners, and the '90's Cowboys. Even if you were to compare a SINGLE season team, then I would rate the '85 Bears, the '72 Dolphins, the '92 Cowboys, and the '94 Niners as better teams.

Thre is no way you can categorically say that this Pats teams ISN'T better than any of those teams you have mentioned. We can only really comment on how dominant they are over the league they play in. There is no doubt that this Pats team over the first half of the 2007 have been about as dominant as any team ever has been. And yes, in a league where parity is a fundamental, that makes it all the more impressive.

I would be saying that this Pats team is more dominant than Cowboys of 92, and Niners 94 (I would say the Niners of 89 were better than them anyway), the one team really I can think of that rivals these Pats are the Bears of 85.

Re: Dolphins 72...have a look at the schedule they had to play, kinda takes the gloss off that unbeaten season.

I know every year there is talk of unbeaten teams, and every year even the best lose at least one game, but these Pats genuinely look to me to be a team that can go unbeaten...the game ina few weeks time with the Colts is going to be a humdingger, but I think the Pats will win, and then who can beat them?

Swervy

International Captain
Oh he is way better than Bradshaw, way better. There simply is no comparison. Yes Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls, but his team was built of 9 Hall of famers that included two WRs. Bradshaw was more mobile, athletic and had a stronger arm than Brady but Brady is smarter, better clutch performer, more accurate and overall a better leader than TB.

I have not watched Staubach and Marino enough to say anything about them, although I would not hold Marino's Zero SB rings against him. Montana is tough one, I have watched a lot of his films and I really have no way of figuring out who is better.
Yeah, Brady is way way over Bradshaw.
Montana is my 'best' ever though....and I have always hated the 49ers

Fusion

Global Moderator
Thre is no way you can categorically say that this Pats teams ISN'T better than any of those teams you have mentioned. We can only really comment on how dominant they are over the league they play in. There is no doubt that this Pats team over the first half of the 2007 have been about as dominant as any team ever has been. And yes, in a league where parity is a fundamental, that makes it all the more impressive.

I would be saying that this Pats team is more dominant than Cowboys of 92, and Niners 94 (I would say the Niners of 89 were better than them anyway), the one team really I can think of that rivals these Pats are the Bears of 85.

Re: Dolphins 72...have a look at the schedule they had to play, kinda takes the gloss off that unbeaten season.

I know every year there is talk of unbeaten teams, and every year even the best lose at least one game, but these Pats genuinely look to me to be a team that can go unbeaten...the game ina few weeks time with the Colts is going to be a humdingger, but I think the Pats will win, and then who can beat them?
You're right, there is no way I can say this Pats team isn't better than the ones I mentioned. There is no definitive way to compare teams of different years of course. I'm basing my opinion on the overall quality of the league. The '92 and '93 Cowboys teams for example, had to compete in a league where there were still powerhouses like the Niners around. The Cowboys were so deep in their roster that Larry Allen, now considered by most to be the best offensive lineman ever, was playing in the practice squad! The good teams had an abundance of riches. Therefore, to dominate a season in those years was a bigger feat IMO. Like I said, I greatly admire the way the Pats have been able to build a dynasty in the post free-agency period. Many claimed that dynasties would die when free agency was introduced. However, as impressive as they've been, I can't rate them above the teams I mentioned simply because of the parity of the league. Just look at their schedule so far this year. It can be argued that they've only beaten one good/elite team (Cowboys) this year. It's not their fault that the teams they've played haven't been good, in fact more credit to them for demolishing them. But their opponents' record and quality is one factor that must be considered when deciding if they're the greatest team. By the way, I do agree with you that they would go undefeated if they get past the Colts next week.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
52-7. Wow !! How can one say anything about this not among the greatest ? Reskins are supposed to be one of the better defensive teams in the league and pats drop 52 points on them. It was total demolition. Last 8 games :-

38-14, 38-14, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28 and 52-8. Wow !!!

Fusion

Global Moderator
52-7. Wow !! How can one say anything about this not among the greatest ? Reskins are supposed to be one of the better defensive teams in the league and pats drop 52 points on them. It was total demolition. Last 8 games :-

38-14, 38-14, 38-7, 34-13, 34-17, 48-27, 49-28 and 52-8. Wow !!!
The only remaining hurdle between an undefeated season is next week's game against the Colts. If they win, I don't think they'll lose again and will become the first team ever to go 16-0.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The only remaining hurdle between an undefeated season is next week's game against the Colts. If they win, I don't think they'll lose again and will become the first team ever to go 16-0.
Not so soon Dear, Please Dont forget December 9th matchup. :) I am looking forward to it.

Let's not forget that in 2004 Pats were much hotter and were on 21-0 run (including playoffs and 18-0 (regular season) before they met a rookie named Roethlisberger and result was 34-20 in our favor.

Not saying that we will win but just that we think we will have our chances and with little luck we can win. Agreed this year is bit different, the game is in Foxboro and Steelers are not that consistent.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Not so soon Dear, Please Dont forget December 9th matchup. :) I am looking forward to it.

Let's not forget that in 2004 Pats were much hotter and were on 21-0 run (including playoffs and 18-0 (regular season) before they met a rookie named Roethlisberger and result was 34-20 in our favor.

Not saying that we will win but just that we think we will have our chances and with little luck we can win. Agreed this year is bit different, the game is in Foxboro and Steelers are not that consistent.
Oh I'm not saying that there is no chance that someone can defeat the Pats. For starters, I think there is a very good chance that the Colts will beat them on Sunday. In fact, my prediction is that the Colts will win (and I'm sure this will come back to embarrass me). However, if they do get past the Colts, then I think it's unlikely they will be defeated by someone else. The way I look at it, no other team should be able to beat them, so if they lose, it will be a fluke IMHO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's true. It was true than as well, we beat them in 2004 regular season and in the AFC championship game they showed us who was the real master, they beat us good and then went on to win the Superbowl. But it will be a great feeling if we can beat them on Dec 9th. Pittsburgh will explode, I am telling you, this is a crazy football town.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What did you guys think about the Wembeley game?
Not fun although mainly due to the muddy and slippery condition, not ideal for football. The passing game was completely ineffective. I didn't watch whole lot of it as Steelers-Bengals game was going on, but Crowd and atmosphere looked great.

Did you get a chance to watch the game ?

Fusion

Global Moderator
What did you guys think about the Wembeley game?
Not a good advertisement for how exciting a NFL game can be. I hope the English audience realizes that generally the games are faster and higher scoring. The field wasn't NFL standards and that greatly took away the passing game. The crowd/atmosphere was great. I laughed out loud when the streaker hit the field (they didn't show him, but mostly showed the crowd who were cheering loudly for him).