Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 262

Thread: Nfl 2007

  1. #16
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    They've got a nice young QB in Brady Quinn. Had a nice preseason. You can thank my team, the Dallas Cowboys, for that. They traded their draft pick to the Browns, allowing them to draft Quinn. Of course, the Browns paid a hefty price for the trade. The Cowboys hold the Browns' number one draft pick for next year. So I have a vested interest in the Browns performing badly!
    Haha, draft picks ftw, so i'd assume they really are dire if they're looking at getting a high draft pick? IIRC they have the lowest team rating on Madden 06
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  2. #17
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Haha, draft picks ftw, so i'd assume they really are dire if they're looking at getting a high draft pick? IIRC they have the lowest team rating on Madden 06
    Anytime you have a rookie QB starting for you, it is understood that the team's goal is probably not the Superbowl. Heck, the team would be ecstatic just to have a winning season. Most rookie QB's have a rough time. They have to adjust to the Pro level, learn new offenses, assert themselves etc. So generally speaking, the first year is the toughest for a QB. Since the QB is the most important position in the game, the team would generally not have a good season if the QB struggles. We may be surprised, but I think the Dallas Cowboys are looking at a top 10 draft pick (if not top 5) next year courtesy of the Browns. But starting a rookie QB is not necessarily a bad thing. You have to give him experience sometime. Might as well be the first year IMO. If the player is good (and I believe Quinn is), it will pay off in the near future.

  3. #18
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Anytime you have a rookie QB starting for you, it is understood that the team's goal is probably not the Superbowl. Heck, the team would be ecstatic just to have a winning season. Most rookie QB's have a rough time. They have to adjust to the Pro level, learn new offenses, assert themselves etc. So generally speaking, the first year is the toughest for a QB. Since the QB is the most important position in the game, the team would generally not have a good season if the QB struggles. We may be surprised, but I think the Dallas Cowboys are looking at a top 10 draft pick (if not top 5) next year courtesy of the Browns. But starting a rookie QB is not necessarily a bad thing. You have to give him experience sometime. Might as well be the first year IMO. If the player is good (and I believe Quinn is), it will pay off in the near future.
    Agree that having a rookie QB isn't your best chance to reach superbowl but it depends how ready the quarterback is, what kind of system he is going to play in and how good rest of the team is. Some of the college QBs in the last few years have been pretty good (e.g. Lienart, Roethlisberger) and ready for Professional football from day 1 and Brady Quinn (IMO) is as ready as anyone of them. I watched him in the pre-season and he looked ready as well. Now its upto the coaches and rest of the team to help him. Browns are aobviously not going to the playoffs but they should do well with Quinn as their QB.

    With Ben Roethlisberger Steelers went 15-1 in the rookie season and Superbowl in the second season. Not saying he was the best QB, but he was NFL ready and fit in the Steelers system perfectly.

  4. #19
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Agree that having a rookie QB isn't your best chance to reach superbowl but it depends how ready the quarterback is, what kind of system he is going to play in and how good rest of the team is. Some of the college QBs in the last few years have been pretty good (e.g. Lienart, Roethlisberger) and ready for Professional football from day 1 and Brady Quinn (IMO) is as ready as anyone of them. I watched him in the pre-season and he looked ready as well. Now its upto the coaches and rest of the team to help him. Browns are aobviously not going to the playoffs but they should do well with Quinn as their QB.

    With Ben Roethlisberger Steelers went 15-1 in the rookie season and Superbowl in the second season. Not saying he was the best QB, but he was NFL ready and fit in the Steelers system perfectly.
    Oh definitely. Like I said, "generally" rookie QB's will struggle. Troy Aikman, hall of fame Dallas QB and the most successful QB of the '90's, had a 1-15 rookie season. He went to a good college, and had future NFL coaches that taught him at the college level. I think he was as prepared for the NFL as anyone, but yet he still struggled. That's because Dallas was rebuilding and had a young team with a new coaching staff. Take all of that, and Aikman's inexperience, and you got a 1-15 season. However, if you have a team that is well settled and a strong coaching staff, like Pittsburgh, then the results can be different. I think Brady Quinn will be a fine QB in this league. However, the Browns are not as talented as Pittsburgh was in Ben's rookie year. Therefore, I would be shocked if the Browns had a winning season this year.


  5. #20
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    Lets go I got marvin harrison on my fantasy team and he picks up the 30 yrd touch down catch by manning

  6. #21
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Agree that having a rookie QB isn't your best chance to reach superbowl but it depends how ready the quarterback is, what kind of system he is going to play in and how good rest of the team is. Some of the college QBs in the last few years have been pretty good (e.g. Lienart, Roethlisberger) and ready for Professional football from day 1 and Brady Quinn (IMO) is as ready as anyone of them. I watched him in the pre-season and he looked ready as well. Now its upto the coaches and rest of the team to help him. Browns are aobviously not going to the playoffs but they should do well with Quinn as their QB.

    With Ben Roethlisberger Steelers went 15-1 in the rookie season and Superbowl in the second season. Not saying he was the best QB, but he was NFL ready and fit in the Steelers system perfectly.
    Just thought I'd point out that the system you play in is a much bigger factor than your preparation level. I really doubt Roethlisberger was more prepared than someone like Manning but he had better support and a better system to fall into. That's why the Steelers went 15-1. Roethlisberger did a good job but nothing really special.

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Just thought I'd point out that the system you play in is a much bigger factor than your preparation level. I really doubt Roethlisberger was more prepared than someone like Manning but he had better support and a better system to fall into. That's why the Steelers went 15-1. Roethlisberger did a good job but nothing really special.
    Actually you are wrong on this one. Ben was more prepared and ready than Eli. I have followed their performance from Day 1 in NFL and I have no doubt that Ben is the better quarterback of the two. Infact Of the top 3 quarterback that came in 2004 draft, Eli is no. 3, Rivers no. 2 and Ben @ No. 1. 15-1 may be a bit of exaggeration of his talent but 13-3 or 12-4 would have been perfect. I have lost tracks of the games Steelers lost because of their pathetic quarterbacks in pre-roethllisberger Cohwer era .

    What Ben did in 2004 and 2005 was pretty special and of course he was helped by the system, he helped the system as well that too equally. In 2004 Steelers had a ordinary to average, running game, ordinary WRs(except Ward) and we still went 15-1 and lost to Patriots in AFC championship game, it was just amazing. In 2005 when we won the SB, take a look at his performance in the playoffs, it was not because of the system.

  8. #23
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Actually you are wrong on this one. Ben was more prepared and ready than Eli. I have followed their performance from Day 1 in NFL and I have no doubt that Ben is the better quarterback of the two. Infact Of the top 3 quarterback that came in 2004 draft, Eli is no. 3, Rivers no. 2 and Ben @ No. 1. 15-1 may be a bit of exaggeration of his talent but 13-3 or 12-4 would have been perfect.
    Haha, nobody cares about Eli. When someone says "Manning" and nothing more, you should automatically assume Peyton. He was probably more NFL-ready than Roethlisberger but the Colts were terrible in his debut season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    What Ben did in 2004 and 2005 was pretty special and of course he was helped by the system, he helped the system as well that too equally. In 2004 Steelers had a ordinary to average, running game, ordinary WRs(except Ward) and we still went 15-1 and lost to Patriots in AFC championship game, it was just amazing. In 2005 when we won the SB, take a look at his performance in the playoffs, it was not because of the system.
    Did you even watch the Steelers that year? They were 2nd best in rushing (yards/game) and 5th worst in passing (yards/game). Of course, Ben was efficient and got the job done so it would be ridiculous to call him the 5th worst QB. It's equally ridiculous to say that Roethlisberger did more for the system than vice versa. He had a limited role to play and he did it very well - that's all. Roethlisberger had an awesome rush attack and a brilliant defense and he supported them well.
    Last edited by adharcric; 09-09-2007 at 08:36 PM.

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Haha, nobody cares about Eli. When someone says "Manning" and nothing more, you should automatically assume Peyton. He was probably more NFL-ready than Roethlisberger but the Colts were terrible in his debut season.
    Look man I understand your eagerness to display your superior knowledge of NFL which you might very well have but no sane person would compare Peyton and Ben. And when I am talking about Manning and Roethlisberger, rookie season and trying to compare, it is obvious that I meant Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger because they were drafted in the same year, Eli was the hyped one mainly because of his NFL ancestry. I didn't watch Peyton Manning in his first year in NFL to know how good he was and I wont be surprised if he was better than most.

    Did you even watch the Steelers that year? They were 2nd best in rushing (yards/game) and 5th worst in passing (yards/game). Of course, Ben was efficient and got the job done so it would be ridiculous to call him the 5th worst QB. It's equally ridiculous to say that Roethlisberger did more for the system than vice versa. He had a limited role to play and he did it very well - that's all. Roethlisberger had an awesome rush attack and a brilliant defense and he supported them well.
    Yes, I did watch Steelers in 2004, but did you really watch them or as usual your opinion is based on stats from NFL.com ? To claim that Steelers had an awesome rush attack in 2004 is a joke and Yards/Game means nothing when you run 75 % of the time. Steelers were 19th in Yards/Carry and that tells how ordinary their rush attack was. They ran the football more than any other team in NFL with 618 attempts(38.6 carries/game), The Denver Broncos who are one of the best rushing teams were a distant second.

    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...M&d-447263-p=1

    Now take a look at their passing game, No. 9 in Completion %, No. 4 in Yards/attmpt, No. 2 in 1st down %, No. 7 in QB rating. Obviously that means that BEN was just ordinary and fill in the slot of QB.


    In 2003 Steelers missed the playoffs by a long hop and that was mainly because their quarterback (Tommy Maddox) sucked big time. In 2004 regular Season Steelers were were 2-1 without Ben and 13-0 with Ben as their startinf quarterback, In 2005 regular season Steelers were 9-1 with Ben as their quarterback and 2-2 without him. So you can see the impact in the results. I know it because I watched pretty much all the games where Ben has played and how much steelers missed him when he was not their QB.

    Take a look at last year when Ben didn't play well and look what happened to the Steelers ?

  10. #25
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Vikes 24 Dirty Birds 3
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  11. #26
    International Vice-Captain pinchy81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    4,899
    Good stats for Eli in the first game too bad he went off injured
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Pinchy81- McPinch iz a gun4lyf.
    "Straight-Edge means I'm better than you!"

  12. #27
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    So Browns ship their starting QB to seattle for a future 6th round pick. What a joke of a franchise it has become. Krennel is gone after this season, he is a disaster. Browns need to hire Cowher.

  13. #28
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So Browns ship their starting QB to seattle for a future 6th round pick. What a joke of a franchise it has become. Krennel is gone after this season, he is a disaster. Browns need to hire Cowher.
    They are one step closer to starting Brady Quinn and ensuring that Dallas gets the number one pick in the draft next year!

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    They are one step closer to starting Brady Quinn and ensuring that Dallas gets the number one pick in the draft next year!
    Cant see Brady Quinn starting before Thanksgiving, Browns have a killer scheduled against very good defensive teams.

    The 'Boys are loaded with talent, offensively. If indeed they got the first pick, they should trade it down and look to get more first rounders.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Patriots are going to lose some draft picks over this video taping thing. Cant say I agree or disagree but who cares, they are still among the top 2 teams in the NFL and bellichick the best coach.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. EAC and BLIC 2007
    By djwolf in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM
  2. Super Eight
    By James in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 6479
    Last Post: 26-04-2007, 11:44 PM
  3. Formula 1 Prediction Thread - 2007
    By biased indian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 16-04-2007, 04:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •