• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nfl 2007

adharcric

International Coach
Agree that having a rookie QB isn't your best chance to reach superbowl but it depends how ready the quarterback is, what kind of system he is going to play in and how good rest of the team is. Some of the college QBs in the last few years have been pretty good (e.g. Lienart, Roethlisberger) and ready for Professional football from day 1 and Brady Quinn (IMO) is as ready as anyone of them. I watched him in the pre-season and he looked ready as well. Now its upto the coaches and rest of the team to help him. Browns are aobviously not going to the playoffs but they should do well with Quinn as their QB.

With Ben Roethlisberger Steelers went 15-1 in the rookie season and Superbowl in the second season. Not saying he was the best QB, but he was NFL ready and fit in the Steelers system perfectly.
Just thought I'd point out that the system you play in is a much bigger factor than your preparation level. I really doubt Roethlisberger was more prepared than someone like Manning but he had better support and a better system to fall into. That's why the Steelers went 15-1. Roethlisberger did a good job but nothing really special.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Just thought I'd point out that the system you play in is a much bigger factor than your preparation level. I really doubt Roethlisberger was more prepared than someone like Manning but he had better support and a better system to fall into. That's why the Steelers went 15-1. Roethlisberger did a good job but nothing really special.
Actually you are wrong on this one. Ben was more prepared and ready than Eli. I have followed their performance from Day 1 in NFL and I have no doubt that Ben is the better quarterback of the two. Infact Of the top 3 quarterback that came in 2004 draft, Eli is no. 3, Rivers no. 2 and Ben @ No. 1. 15-1 may be a bit of exaggeration of his talent but 13-3 or 12-4 would have been perfect. I have lost tracks of the games Steelers lost because of their pathetic quarterbacks in pre-roethllisberger Cohwer era .

What Ben did in 2004 and 2005 was pretty special and of course he was helped by the system, he helped the system as well that too equally. In 2004 Steelers had a ordinary to average, running game, ordinary WRs(except Ward) and we still went 15-1 and lost to Patriots in AFC championship game, it was just amazing. In 2005 when we won the SB, take a look at his performance in the playoffs, it was not because of the system.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Actually you are wrong on this one. Ben was more prepared and ready than Eli. I have followed their performance from Day 1 in NFL and I have no doubt that Ben is the better quarterback of the two. Infact Of the top 3 quarterback that came in 2004 draft, Eli is no. 3, Rivers no. 2 and Ben @ No. 1. 15-1 may be a bit of exaggeration of his talent but 13-3 or 12-4 would have been perfect.
Haha, nobody cares about Eli. When someone says "Manning" and nothing more, you should automatically assume Peyton. He was probably more NFL-ready than Roethlisberger but the Colts were terrible in his debut season.
Sanz said:
What Ben did in 2004 and 2005 was pretty special and of course he was helped by the system, he helped the system as well that too equally. In 2004 Steelers had a ordinary to average, running game, ordinary WRs(except Ward) and we still went 15-1 and lost to Patriots in AFC championship game, it was just amazing. In 2005 when we won the SB, take a look at his performance in the playoffs, it was not because of the system.
Did you even watch the Steelers that year? They were 2nd best in rushing (yards/game) and 5th worst in passing (yards/game). Of course, Ben was efficient and got the job done so it would be ridiculous to call him the 5th worst QB. It's equally ridiculous to say that Roethlisberger did more for the system than vice versa. He had a limited role to play and he did it very well - that's all. Roethlisberger had an awesome rush attack and a brilliant defense and he supported them well.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, nobody cares about Eli. When someone says "Manning" and nothing more, you should automatically assume Peyton. He was probably more NFL-ready than Roethlisberger but the Colts were terrible in his debut season.
Look man I understand your eagerness to display your superior knowledge of NFL which you might very well have but no sane person would compare Peyton and Ben. And when I am talking about Manning and Roethlisberger, rookie season and trying to compare, it is obvious that I meant Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger because they were drafted in the same year, Eli was the hyped one mainly because of his NFL ancestry. I didn't watch Peyton Manning in his first year in NFL to know how good he was and I wont be surprised if he was better than most.

Did you even watch the Steelers that year? They were 2nd best in rushing (yards/game) and 5th worst in passing (yards/game). Of course, Ben was efficient and got the job done so it would be ridiculous to call him the 5th worst QB. It's equally ridiculous to say that Roethlisberger did more for the system than vice versa. He had a limited role to play and he did it very well - that's all. Roethlisberger had an awesome rush attack and a brilliant defense and he supported them well.
Yes, I did watch Steelers in 2004, but did you really watch them or as usual your opinion is based on stats from NFL.com ? To claim that Steelers had an awesome rush attack in 2004 is a joke and Yards/Game means nothing when you run 75 % of the time. Steelers were 19th in Yards/Carry and that tells how ordinary their rush attack was. They ran the football more than any other team in NFL with 618 attempts(38.6 carries/game), The Denver Broncos who are one of the best rushing teams were a distant second.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...004&Submit=Find&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1

Now take a look at their passing game, No. 9 in Completion %, No. 4 in Yards/attmpt, No. 2 in 1st down %, No. 7 in QB rating. Obviously that means that BEN was just ordinary and fill in the slot of QB. 8-)

In 2003 Steelers missed the playoffs by a long hop and that was mainly because their quarterback (Tommy Maddox) sucked big time. In 2004 regular Season Steelers were were 2-1 without Ben and 13-0 with Ben as their startinf quarterback, In 2005 regular season Steelers were 9-1 with Ben as their quarterback and 2-2 without him. So you can see the impact in the results. I know it because I watched pretty much all the games where Ben has played and how much steelers missed him when he was not their QB.

Take a look at last year when Ben didn't play well and look what happened to the Steelers ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Browns ship their starting QB to seattle for a future 6th round pick. What a joke of a franchise it has become. Krennel is gone after this season, he is a disaster. Browns need to hire Cowher.

Fusion

Global Moderator
So Browns ship their starting QB to seattle for a future 6th round pick. What a joke of a franchise it has become. Krennel is gone after this season, he is a disaster. Browns need to hire Cowher.
They are one step closer to starting Brady Quinn and ensuring that Dallas gets the number one pick in the draft next year! :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
They are one step closer to starting Brady Quinn and ensuring that Dallas gets the number one pick in the draft next year! :)
Cant see Brady Quinn starting before Thanksgiving, Browns have a killer scheduled against very good defensive teams.

The 'Boys are loaded with talent, offensively. If indeed they got the first pick, they should trade it down and look to get more first rounders.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Patriots are going to lose some draft picks over this video taping thing. Cant say I agree or disagree but who cares, they are still among the top 2 teams in the NFL and bellichick the best coach.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Patriots are going to lose some draft picks over this video taping thing. Cant say I agree or disagree but who cares, they are still among the top 2 teams in the NFL and bellichick the best coach.
I have some strong opinions on this. What the Patriots did was cheat. This is not the first time the Patriots had been warned about this. They were told what they were doing was considered cheating and yet they continued to do it! I think the NFL needs to take STRONG action against them. In addition to losing a first round draft pick, they need to suspend Belichick for at least a week (where he can have no contact with the team). That sends a strong signal to the whole league that cheating will not be tolerated. I felt the same way when it was discovered that the Colts were creating artificial noise in their stadium when the opposing offense was playing. Again, that's cheating and the Colts should've lost some draft picks and had their head coach suspended for a game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Can i get someones thoughts on Alex Smith & Vince Young?? cheers :D
Alex Smith has looked awesome this preseason but will always carry round his terrible rookie season and the worst excuse ever. It was claimed his hands were too small for the marginally diferent NFL ball and that changes would have to be made in his thowing style. Still very unproven.

Vince Young capped College with one of the best performances in a National Championship game but is still learning in the NFL. This season could go either way as it is still experience building

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh Punishment by NFL on Patriots and Bellechick. 500,000 Fine to the coach and 250K to the team and a first round draft choice next year.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Harsh Punishment by NFL on Patriots and Bellechick. 500,000 Fine to the coach and 250K to the team and a first round draft choice next year.
Good decision by the commish IMO. Sends a strong message to the NFL that no one is above the rules.

Swervy

International Captain
They only lose the first round pick if they make the playoffs though (which they will of course)...thing is, they have 2 first round picks in 2008, so no real damage caused.

Swervy

International Captain
some odd results so far:
Palmer passes for 6 TDs and still the Benglas lose to the Browns of all people
Texans demolish the Saints

Lions carving the Vikes a bit at the moment