• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Rugby Championship 2007

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Starting next week. Can't wait myself. 'bout time Australia had a domestic comp to bridge a gap between club rugby and the national side (besides Super 14).

Go Melbourne!

===================================================================
Comp Name: CricketWeb ARC 2007
Comp #: 109540
Comp Password: cricketweb
===================================================================

To join:

1) Go to http://www.OzTips.com

2) From the 'Home' page, click "I'm new and I want to Tip" and register a new Login for the site (or, if you are already registered with OzTips, Login).

3) Click "I want to join a Tipping Comp" on the 'Home' page, or "Join a Tipping Comp" on the 'Tipping' page.

4) Enter the Comp # and Comp Password details above.

5) That's it! Full instructions on how to Tip can be found on the 'Help' pages.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Like your tipping comps don't ya?

Also i can't see this fixing many issues when a lot of top club rugby players have choosen not to play as they wont get paid enough for amount of time they miss from their regular jobs. Basically just going to be an U23 comp, with a couple older fringe Super 14 players.

Last edited:

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Go Vikings...how long to we all think this going to last though? I’d say if we don't win the World Cup, ARU won't be able to afford to foot the bill.

NZTailender

Go Vikings...how long to we all think this going to last though? I’d say if we don't win the World Cup, ARU won't be able to afford to foot the bill.
Hoping it stays in place for as long as there are the AFL, NRL and A-League.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If run proper it could be self efficient in a couple seasons time. The big issue would be to get the support of grass roots Rugby fans, who are still pissed of Club rugby in Sydney and Brisbane, has been put further down the ladder. I guess it all really depends if its run as a makeshift comp, which basically are some glorified trails for Super 14 contracts. Or if its proper competition where the clubs actually mean something to fans.

cometer

State Regular
If run proper it could be self efficient in a couple seasons time. The big issue would be to get the support of grass roots Rugby fans, who are still pissed of Club rugby in Sydney and Brisbane, has been put further down the ladder. I guess it all really depends if its run as a makeshift comp, which basically are some glorified trails for Super 14 contracts. Or if its proper competition where the clubs actually mean something to fans.
True, only time will tell though and in the meantime I'll be supporting the local side :) .

NZTailender

Rebels holding themselves well versus a strong Vikings at the moment. 13-10 at half time though it could've easily been more in favour of Canberra.

Looks as though it was a great match over in Perth last night. Wish it was telecast.

Am liking the experimental rules too.

NZTailender

Gun effort by the Rebels to win that against a team that were always tipped to be favourites in the match. Croft was everywhere and Murphy looked a million bucks when he came on. Melbourne really dominated the second half, though there was a lot of exciting play from both sides.

NZTailender

Rebels 2 from 2 and the 'surprise packet' according to 'everyone'. :cool:

Interesting competition so far in that Melbourne is indeed the only team unbeaten after just 2 rounds. Looks like it'll be an extremely close competition. :)

cometer

State Regular
They're looking promising atm, but it's still early days and a lot of the sides are fairly close. Wish they showed every match rather than a select few each week.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH your lucky ABC are showing it at all, from what i hear no one is watching it. Just the same people that watch club rugby.

NZTailender

Who else would broadcast it? There's no interest from the commercial channels as they have their cash cows in NRL and AFL, while SBS has the football. It'd be great if one of the Pay TV channels picked up the non-televised games. ABC2 has a Sunday afternoon game but not everyone has digital or pay tv to see it.

I'm sure they'd get help from an advertising blitz in newspapers and internet, which would be greatly helped by being on Foxtel. But ah, a man can dream and I doubt it will occur.

NZTailender

So gutted this got scrapped. Obviously Australia cares very little for Rugby outside of the Wallabies and to an extent the Super 14. Australia needs it's own domestic comp like NZ and RSA, regardless of whether it makes money.

I think if it was handled better, and perhaps some top execs brought in from other sports, this could've been a new A-League in terms of popularity.

Also gutted that Melbourne lost the final.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So gutted this got scrapped. Obviously Australia cares very little for Rugby outside of the Wallabies and to an extent the Super 14. Australia needs it's own domestic comp like NZ and RSA, regardless of whether it makes money.

I think if it was handled better, and perhaps some top execs brought in from other sports, this could've been a new A-League in terms of popularity.

Also gutted that Melbourne lost the final.
LOL you do realise that A-League brought over the top execs from rugby and prior to starting the ARC they came back to rugby. Rugby probably has the best execs in Australian sport.

Problem not the execs it is lack of appeal for rugby outside the main states. AFL and League and now A-League have now moved into the all the other areas and there is no room for Rugby to grow outside the main states. Has more to do with the fact they didn't think about expansion earlier as they focused too many on the 2003 WC. But thats the nature of holding a WC.

Also the foundation weren't set of competition before O'Neill and co came back to Rugby.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Did not realise it tbh.

Whether or not there is room, Australia still needs a rugby competition to bridge the gap between Club and Super 14/International level.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Was watching some club rugby today. Turned it off after 20 minutes, so many simple errors in the game. Missing the ARC so much, oh well hopefully the standard ti club rugby improves once Super 14 players come back.