• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NBA 07-08 season thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, 76ers leading the Pistons by 13 with 2 to go in the first half. If the Pistons lose this series, I'd almost back the Cavs to make the Finals series again.
and leading by 10 at the half...this has been interesting to say the least, however even if they win this game, their key would be finish this at least in 6, if it goes to the palace for game 7, the pistons will win...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Lebron destroying the Wizards right now. The dumbest thing in sports history was a spare player calling him over-rated and the crowd joining in. Sure, give the best player in the conference some added motivation, that's smart. :laugh:

Game 4 tonight for Hornets-Mavs. At least the Mavs showed some pride and showed up for the first time in game 3. They are still on life-support but if they win tonight's game, they would at least make it interesting. If the Mavs crash out in the first round again, I expect Avery to be fired.
well he certainly has the best stats but kobe and cp might both have something to say about that...

as for the mavs, you are right, avery is probably on the firing line if the mavs lose again...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well he certainly has the best stats but kobe and cp might both have something to say about that...

as for the mavs, you are right, avery is probably on the firing line if the mavs lose again...
He did say conference ;)

Although I'd be bias and say he is the best player in the league :cool: :happy:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He did say conference ;)

Although I'd be bias and say he is the best player in the league :cool: :happy:
oops! didn't notice that...thanks clapo...sorry fusion..:)

and he will probably become the best player in the league eventually....i am not sure he is, right now...

Fusion

Global Moderator
oops! didn't notice that...thanks clapo...sorry fusion..:)

and he will probably become the best player in the league eventually....i am not sure he is, right now...
Yeah agreed. I think Kobe and Duncan are ahead of him right now, but I think Lebron has the potential to become the best player in the league.

duffer

how about both are poor defenders? although a.i is at least one of the league leaders in steals
Iverson has the ability to be a decent defender but has too big a physical disadvantage to make it happen. Every guard he comes up against is a mismatch apart from a couple so he's forced to become a gambler and go for steals and deflections which his ridiculous speed allows him to. He's the type who needs a complimentary big defensive guard to be truly effective and since Eric Snow he hasn't had one. Nuggets had a great chance to get Delonte at the start of the season but Karl no-noed it despite him being a perfect compliment.

Nash just can't defend plain and simple. It's not in his skillset and never has been although he tries as hard as anyone to improve himself, but he can't break screens or make interceptions to save his life and no way he can block a semi decent sized guard. Shame because I like Nash a lot and can't remember the last guard I saw with such freakish passing ability.

Hornets still flying high, awesome stuff. Will be rooting for them once my Sixers are knocked out.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Iverson's a ballhawk, that's about it. Eric Snow would always switch and defend the shooting guard. Nash is a ****ty defender & Raja Bell does the same kind of job Snow used to do on the Sixers, but most point guards are ****ty defenders. Chris Paul is a ****ty defender despite the number of steals he makes. His plus/minus starts are pretty damn bad considering how good he is offensively. Nash is having a bad series, but I doubt he'll cop it like Dirk did last year. Where has Boris Diaw been all series? Nice of him to show up today. The Suns' role-players always shrink in the playoffs & I wonder if it's coaching & the lack of subs/player rotation... Their team defence will never be good, but they could've won this series with better offensive execution. Guys just disappear.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Iverson has the ability to be a decent defender but has too big a physical disadvantage to make it happen. Every guard he comes up against is a mismatch apart from a couple so he's forced to become a gambler and go for steals and deflections which his ridiculous speed allows him to. He's the type who needs a complimentary big defensive guard to be truly effective and since Eric Snow he hasn't had one. Nuggets had a great chance to get Delonte at the start of the season but Karl no-noed it despite him being a perfect compliment.

Nash just can't defend plain and simple. It's not in his skillset and never has been although he tries as hard as anyone to improve himself, but he can't break screens or make interceptions to save his life and no way he can block a semi decent sized guard. Shame because I like Nash a lot and can't remember the last guard I saw with such freakish passing ability.
if you are a really good defender or even if you have the right mindset on that end of the floor, size/height isn't that much of a deterrent, watch bowen guard nowitzki...ok bowen is one of the very best at that in this league but a.i has always given me the impression that his job is just to score and for all his assists, the number of shot attempts per game(it has reduced after coming to denver but...) is still one of the highest and his field goal % is not all that good...the overall impression is that of a selfish player a la bryant before the last couple of seasons...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Watched Hawks Vs. Celtics tonight, painful to watch. Can sya for sure that Boston is not winning the final against Lakers/Spurs.

The three Amigos looked old, tired and also scared of the 'yuts' from Atlanta. I would be surprised if they make it to the NBA Finals by beating the Cavs.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Parker is torching the Suns again. Suns are done for the season and proable for next few years, so are the Mavericks, Pistons and Celtics.

Byron Scott Great choice for the coach of the year award. Nets must be kicking themselves up for firing him.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and Fusion Dear, Time to switch to some NHL, I hear the Stars are doing really well. :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Oh and Fusion Dear, Time to switch to some NHL, I hear the Stars are doing really well. :)
:laugh: I have some tears to go along with that laughter by the way. So Avery is fired, as expected. For the past few years the Mavs have shown a lack of courage, pride, and smarts. Not all of that is Avery's fault, but the head coach has to bear responsibility for a team like that. Funny how your perception of things changes. Two years ago, the Mavs were less than 10 minutes away from taking a 3-0 lead in the NBA Finals before collapsing. Everyone thought (at least in Dallas) that this was the start of a dynasty. Now two years later we're discovering that the Finals appearance was actually a fluke. That the Mavs are light-years behind the contenders of the West. With a roster full of max-out contracts that aren't expiring anytime soon (contracts that other teams would be utterly stupid to trade for), I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Reality bites.

duffer

:laugh: I have some tears to go along with that laughter by the way. So Avery is fired, as expected. For the past few years the Mavs have shown a lack of courage, pride, and smarts. Not all of that is Avery's fault, but the head coach has to bear responsibility for a team like that. Funny how your perception of things changes. Two years ago, the Mavs were less than 10 minutes away from taking a 3-0 lead in the NBA Finals before collapsing. Everyone thought (at least in Dallas) that this was the start of a dynasty. Now two years later we're discovering that the Finals appearance was actually a fluke. That the Mavs are light-years behind the contenders of the West. With a roster full of max-out contracts that aren't expiring anytime soon (contracts that other teams would be utterly stupid to trade for), I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Reality bites.
Hilarious thing is, by making the playoffs you forfeit your first rounder next season to NJ, so building by drafting is ruled out for a year or so at least.

But I'm not judging Dallas yet until Kidd has had a full pre season with the team, and the system the new coach decides to go with. Avery's system was holding JK back tremendously. Still think they might be able to do something next season.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Along with Avery Cuban should have fired Don Nelson(GM) or whoever was responsible for the JK trade. Giving up your future for a spent force like JK is just stupid.

Kidd got his name when he moved to the East Coast. When he played in West coast, he was ordinary. He was ordinary then, he is ordinary now. Have watched him play alot, he is just another NBA player.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Along with Avery Cuban should have fired Don Nelson(GM) or whoever was responsible for the JK trade. Giving up your future for a spent force like JK is just stupid.

Kidd got his name when he moved to the East Coast. When he played in West coast, he was ordinary. He was ordinary then, he is ordinary now. Have watched him play alot, he is just another NBA player.
Cuban shares the blame for that as he wanted the Kidd trade. In any case, I expect no one in the organization is safe right now, including the GM Donnie Nelson. I wish the Mavs had been swept in the playoffs. That way, Avery would've been fired one day sooner and we could've gone after Larry Brown.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah larry brown was gobbled up by the bobcats just before...well, now both d'antoni and johnson are on the market...although i wonder whether there will be any high-profile takers after the failure of d'antoni's style in phoenix(i saw a report that the bulls might consider him)...johnson might be courted by the knicks although no one should expect miracles with that team whoever is coaching them, isiah has messed it up so much...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
D'Antoni isn't going anywhere, atleast according to the Suns GM Steve Kerr. Besides he already has a job waiting for him in Toronto.

Also, Suns-Spurs sereis was not one-sided like Mavs-Hornets. Not to forget that their loss had nothing to do with Shaq's trade. Their star player, Nash, failed miserably to perform. If anyone, that needs to go, then it has to be Steve Nash.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
saw an article on s.i.com that d'antoni was on his way out, true that the suns haven't announced anything yet...kerr is putting in a lot of conditions if d'antoni stays and he agrees, i guess he could be there for one more season...as for the series vs the spurs, while it's true that it was not as one-sided as the mavs vs the hornets, a 1-4 loss clearly establishes who is the better playoff team...it is not like last year where they used the suspensions on stoudamire and diaw as an excuse(lame in my opinion, the spurs were still better) to explain away the defeat...and since they have now lost to san antonio so many times in recent playoffs, a lot of things need to be addressed and i am not sure they can change that outcome with their current personnel unless the level of play of the spurs come down significantly...