Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2007

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2007

I couldn't find a thread for this competition... (mind you the search excluded the words air, new and cup for 'being too short' )

Anyway, some interesting results yesterday. Taranaki were lucky to get over the line against a determined Tasman team.

Wellington DEMOLISHED a woeful Otago team... possibly the worst team that has represented Otago on paper (I bet Voltman's loving it out there!!). Weepu showed what the 'canes will miss if he goes to League with a commanding performance.

Bay of Plenty vs Canterbury on at the moment, offering an intreguing test. BoP are a much better team than the TAB are suggesting, giving them a 22 point head start yesterday. Fancied a bet on that one.

Oh, and in another mis-match in the first round, Manawatu got thumped by Waikato... but Manawatu gave them a few scares - even scoring the first try.

Could be that one of the smaller teams (Northland, Southland, Tasman, Hawke's Bay, Manawatu, Counties-Manukau) could give Otago a pasting this year.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I watched most of the Otago game and they were absolutely woeful, such poor body position by the forwards and the backs need to learn how to tackle properly. Shannon Paku's try was one of the softest I've seen, it was a great run but the defence was ordinary.

Southland to dominate the competition.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Southland to dominate the competition.
    I'm hoping you're being more than a little tongue-in-cheek there. Southland have a good chance at upsetting some of the more 'famous' North Island teams. Taranaki look pretty weak this year and Waikato didn't look as dominant as you'd expect against Manawatu.

Wellington surprised me though - even when they played well last year, they didn't run away with any games. They ran away with it last night without even reaching top gear. Should be some good games against Waikato and Auckland.

Senio just gone off with a gash to the head. On comes Andy Ellis... Let's see if you're better than Piri!!

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'm hoping you're being more than a little tongue-in-cheek there. Southland have a good chance at upsetting some of the more 'famous' North Island teams. Taranaki look pretty weak this year and Waikato didn't look as dominant as you'd expect against Manawatu.
    It was a tongue in cheek comment, but I do fancy their chances. Just a shame they won't have the service of some of their big names from last season.

It's amazing how many good young players that Canterbury can keep producing, Steven Yates, Stephen Brett, Kieran Read, Michael Patterson etc.

Southland in trouble against Hawke's Bay at half time. 13-20. Some great counter-attacking footie from the Bay. Massively outperforming my expectations, though hardly a player survives from their dreadful 2006 campaign!

I think Southland will have too mach in the second half, but would have been a good bet on the half-time score! $12 maybe...

Banned
    C'mon the Bay!

First blood in the second half goes to the bay. 10 points clear now. Can they hold out?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    First blood in the second half goes to the bay. 10 points clear now. Can they hold out?
    They are looking decent actually

EDIT: Outstanding try by Gilford. Hawkes Bay 33-13.
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-07-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Ugh, Southland need to learn to hang onto the ball. They've thrown passes that they didn't need to and their ball control has been poor. In saying that, Hawkes Bay have played some good footy and counter-attacked well. They have a good side and I expect them to do fairly well, unfortunately they fell short of my expctations last year.

I did NOT expect that.

On paper, with Cowan, Dermody and T-'Bone', Southland should have waltzed away with that game. Hawke's Bay were very impressive though - some great work from Shoemark (or however you spell it) with his fancy little kicks through the Southland defence, but the locals must be going home from that game very disappointed. Not looking too hot for anyone South of Oamaru this weekend.

Jason Schumach, class player. I've rated him for a while now but he hasn't really had the chance to shine in top level football.

I am chuffed that my Team Counties Steelers finally managed to get some points by drawing with North Harbour. Would have been better if they had won , but at least they have risen from being the cellar dwellers!!

Go Counties !! Come on !!

North Harbour not looking too hot this year; draws against Northland and Counties won't serve them well. Surely they can't hold onto the Shield for too long in this kind of form!!

Counties lost again -this time to Waikato.

I have to seriously consider stopping following NPC and Counties, if they keep on losing ....

Bit harsh, Jason. You surely didn't expect Counties to beat Waikato. They did bloody well to hold out at 8 - 8 for so long.

Auckland beating Southland wasn't a surprise, but the margin flatters Auckland. I tell you, David Smith will be bloody brilliant when he's a bit older. The acceleration of the guy is amazing.

Taranaki & Otago playing out a pretty dull, uninspiring game at the moment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information